Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon 5D MkIV

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Canon 5D MkIV

Within the last 10 minutes, Canon UK has put out an announcement launching the 5D Mk IV. Presumably this has happened around the rest of the world. No information. just a 10 second marketing video.

Real Name
    Kaare

Re: Canon 5D MkIV

Hi

It looks like Digital Photography Review have some specs https://www.dpreview.com/news/439009...-dual-pixel-af

Real Name
    Tim

B&H has it for $3500 as does Adorama. A new 24-105 and 16-35 L lenses too. Wish I could drop $5k.....

Real Name
    Philip

Real Name
    Richard

A bit too rich for my blood...

Real Name
    Dan

Details have been leaking out slowly for a few weeks, on sites like www.canonrumors.com. The dual-pixel approach to focusing problems looks unique. It clearly is superior to my 5DIII, but not enough so for my purposes to warrant taking the financial hit to replace it. However, I am eagerly awaiting tests of the new 24-105 f/4 L that is one of the two kit lenses available with it. My 24-105 is probably my most used lens, and while it is fine, it is not up to the level of two of the other L lenses I own. If it is substantially better--sharper in the corners, ideally less vignetting, etc.--I might just spring for that, although my old 24-105 is presumably as I type rapidly losing whatever value it had on the used market.

Real Name
    Robin

It's £3600 in the UK!!!!!!!!!

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    It's £3600 in the UK!!!!!!!!!
    If that's body only, I don't understand why these things are so often more expensive in the UK. The US pre-order price for the body only at B&H is $3499, which at the current conversion rate is 2656 pounds. Tariffs, maybe, or is there a VAT added in already? In the US, the equivalent of the VAT is the retail sales tax, which is much smaller and is usually not included in the retail prices displayed.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    If that's body only, I don't understand why these things are so often more expensive in the UK. The US pre-order price for the body only at B&H is $3499, which at the current conversion rate is 2656 pounds. Tariffs, maybe, or is there a VAT added in already? In the US, the equivalent of the VAT is the retail sales tax, which is much smaller and is usually not included in the retail prices displayed.
    That does include Value Added Tax at 20%, so that gives a net sale price of £3,000.

But it always the case that equipment liked this is priced higher here in the UK than, certainly in the US and, indeed, in most other countries.

Real Name
    Leo Bhaskara

In Japan it's around 420k yen (4200 USD/3200 GBP). Together with a 24-70 2.8 lens it's almost as expensive as a Leica body

Real Name
    Bobo

Looks like it is an incredible (even awesome) camera.

Wondering though that the timelines for this and the 1DX Mark II are almost the same why on earth is very little of what is on the 5D4 not on the 1DX2.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Looks like it is an incredible (even awesome) camera.

Wondering though that the timelines for this and the 1DX Mark II are almost the same why on earth is very little of what is on the 5D4 not on the 1DX2.
    There aren't a lot of datapoints, but it looks like their strategy is to take some features on high-end cameras and move them down one notch in their lineup when they introduce a camera at the lower of the two levels. Then they add new things to the top level. For example, look at the sequence 5D III > 7D II >5D IV. The change from 7D to 7DII entailed adding a bunch of features that until then you could only get by stepping up to the 5D III. Then, they released the 5D IV, which restores more distance between the two cameras.

Real Name
    Bill

And there's the minor issue of the manufacturer protecting the business from exchange rate hits. And before anyone jumps in, this is an established factor and this post is not a hidden post-brexit comment (nor and overt one either). It's generated by my experiences of being a Brit who has lived for substantial spells in Australia and the US.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Donald, FWIW...check the link to a live panel discussion at 2 PM EST...
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/promo...d-mark-iv.html

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Donald, FWIW...check the link to a live panel discussion at 2 PM EST...
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/promo...d-mark-iv.html
    Yeh, thanks. I watched it live yesterday.

Real Name
    Greg

$5100 here, body only. The currency war is killing us.