Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should I have done different with this photo?

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: What should I have done different with this photo?

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    . . .Two pictures nearly as that one of Erik. . . . A difference of 5 stops. I made them over 5 years ago with the D80. I didn't do any pp.
    What was the time of day when those images were made?

If your two images were made at night-time; or at dusk; or at dawn, then that a lighting scenario which is very different to the lighting scenario of Erik's image. If those two images were made at night-time; or at dusk; or at dawn, then (no offense intended) any comparison of those two images to Erik's image, is not really relevant to this conversation.

For clarity and accuracy - the advice in Post #15 does NOT refer to: night-time; dusk; and dawn lighting scenarios.

WW

Footnote - Post #15 has been amended (in italics) to emphasis the point that it refers to a daytime scene.
    Last edited by William W; 27th August 2016 at 08:54 PM. Reason: corrected typo

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    What was the time of day when those images were made?

If your two images were made at night-time; or at dusk; or at dawn, then that a lighting scenario which is very different to the lighting scenario of Erik's image. I those two images were made at night-time; or at dusk; or at dawn, then (no offense intended) any comparison of those two images to Erik's image, is not really relevant to this conversation.

For clarity and accuracy - the advice in Post #15 does NOT refer to: night-time; dusk; and dawn lighting scenarios.

WW

Footnote - Post #15 has been amended (in italics) to emphasis the point that it refers to a daytime scene.
    Creation date 23-03-2011 20:07:30. I checked the other pictures to be sure. It was rather late, you're right.

George

Real Name
    Erik

Great discussion everyone and thanks for the help.

William - as always you answer is well founded and solid examples to communicate your point. Thank you very much ** Throws a Mars Bar at William **

I have learned a great deal in reading and going through the review for this photo. I see my options and further now feel better about how I would have captured this scene. Incidentally I started to fall back to the Sunny 16 rule more and more over the trip. As a result in some of these more challenging mid day shots I will have better success in recover details in Post Processing.

Thanks again everyone...hope it was helpful to others as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12