Thread: Enthralling

Real Name
    Dean

Enthralling

Enthralling

Real Name
    Simon

Re: Enthralling

Great shot Dean, really well-balanced light.

Might it also work with her sat at the left third as opposed to being central?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Another superb portrait. Wonderfully lit. What is your set-up, Dean?

Real Name
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by ionian View Post
    Great shot Dean, really well-balanced light.

Might it also work with her sat at the left third as opposed to being central?
    Simon

Thank you & Yes It would definitely work with her being on the left but that little island in the back ground is one of my favourite places. It doesn't look like much at 20mm angle but it's beautiful. Birds were flocking to it, waves crashing into its rocky beach & a humpback was blowing water not too far from it on that day. I wanted this shot to remind me of those beautiful things and so I didn't want hinder it.

Real Name
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Another superb portrait. Wonderfully lit. What is your set-up, Dean?
    Donald

Thanks

Lighting - Paul C. Buff B800 connected to vagabond mini with Godox 110cm Octabox and home made amber gel on a C-stand.
    Camera - Nikon D810
    Lens - 20 1.8G
    Trigger - Elinchrom El Sky port and universal speed receiver.

Real Name
    Greg

Hi Dean,
    your skills are way beyond anything I aspire to, so feel free to ignore my comment. But it seems to me that the flash has washed out everything, except the woman. ie the rocks, for example, are too bright. The light in the clouds indicate sunset - or sunrise - so I would expect to see the subject well lit with the flash but the context somewhat darker, which would separate her more from the context.

As I said, feel free to ignore me but I would be interested in your response.

Real Name
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    Hi Dean,
    your skills are way beyond anything I aspire to, so feel free to ignore my comment. But it seems to me that the flash has washed out everything, except the woman. ie the rocks, for example, are too bright. The light in the clouds indicate sunset - or sunrise - so I would expect to see the subject well lit with the flash but the context somewhat darker, which would separate her more from the context.

As I said, feel free to ignore me but I would be interested in your response.
    Hi Greg

All comments are good comments. This was at sunset. The softbox was aiming at the model but there's always some small amount of spillage but the rocks are contrasty on my monitor.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 23rd August 2016 at 08:50 PM. Reason: fix quote tags

Real Name
    Dean

Very nicely done!

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Dean I'm seeing a washed out image as Greg does . I think some midtone contrast might help the image. Your model looks beautiful even if the image is washed out or not though

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    I'm seeing a washed out image as Greg does
    Is it a washed out image, or is it an image that masterfully uses muted tones and lower contrast to create a mood and atmosphere?

Real Name
    Binnur

What I understand from Dean's reply to Greg is that although the softbox was aimed at the model there was some spillage and IMO that's why the image looks washed out. So I really don't know it the final image is intentional or as a result of the spillage. The model looks beautiful, I would just like to see the rest of the image a bit dark or contrasty (difficult to say which one without seeing), but of course this is my personal opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Is it a washed out image, or is it an image that masterfully uses muted tones and lower contrast to create a mood and atmosphere?

Real Name
    Maurice

Dean, washed out or not, lovely model lovely shot.

Real Name
    Dean

Hi Dean I'm seeing a washed out image as Greg does . I think some midtone contrast might help the image. Your model looks beautiful even if the image is washed out or not though
    Hi Binnur

Thanks for commenting. Feel free to adjust my image to your taste.

Real Name
    Dean

What I understand from Dean's reply to Greg is that although the softbox was aimed at the model there was some spillage and IMO that's why the image looks washed out. So I really don't know it the final image is intentional or as a result of the spillage. The model looks beautiful, I would just like to see the rest of the image a bit dark or contrasty (difficult to say which one without seeing), but of course this is my personal opinion
    Binnur

As you can see from the clouds that the sun has dipped below the horizon so there was very little ambient light left to create any kind of contrasty back ground. The other option was to increase the strength of key light but I would need an assistant to lift the strobe high above the model and possibly a second light as fill or kicker on the right. Spill would still happen in this case but lighting could be a bit more dramatic in the end result but it's hard to say as there was very little natural light left and back ground elements could have all disappeared in the dark. Anyway, that wasn't what I had in mind, I wanted an environmental portrait and we got there late and it probably wasn't the best time to shoot but rain, hail or shine, I have never, ever turned away from a shoot . We were on holiday and this was kind of unplanned, we did 20 shots within 30 minutes before it gets too dark and we couldn't find our way out of this place. With this shot, it was struggling to find a spot of put my C stand (at almost full extension) and I was standing on a lower sets of rocks. Next shoot I will bring my entourage of 5 and get better image. Just kidding, it would just be us two again
    Last edited by dragon76; 24th August 2016 at 01:38 AM.

Real Name
    Dean

Thanks Donald, Dean and Maurice

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured.

Real Name
    John

I agree that just a little more mid tone contrast and maybe a tighter crop might be worth while but that is lovely. What makes it is the skill in balancing the light to suit the subject. Very nice indeed.

Real Name
    Binnur

Dean, I never meant that the image wasn't good. It is already a good image with a beautiful model. So you can always try to take better photos as we always do, but not because this one is not that good. As John2 already mentioned, the lighting on your model looks good and skillfull . Adding some midtone contrast to the rest was just my personal opinion. I wish I was able to manage the half of what you did

Quote Originally Posted by dragon76 View Post
    Binnur

As you can see from the clouds that the sun has dipped below the horizon so there was very little ambient light left to create any kind of contrasty back ground. The other option was to increase the strength of key light but I would need an assistant to lift the strobe high above the model and possibly a second light as fill or kicker on the right. Spill would still happen in this case but lighting could be a bit more dramatic in the end result but it's hard to say as there was very little natural light left and back ground elements could have all disappeared in the dark. Anyway, that wasn't what I had in mind, I wanted an environmental portrait and we got there late and it probably wasn't the best time to shoot but rain, hail or shine, I have never, ever turned away from a shoot . We were on holiday and this was kind of unplanned, we did 20 shots within 30 minutes before it gets too dark and we couldn't find our way out of this place. With this shot, it was struggling to find a spot of put my C stand (at almost full extension) and I was standing on a lower sets of rocks. Next shoot I will bring my entourage of 5 and get better image. Just kidding, it would just be us two again