Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: beach portraits

beach portraits

Hi, I'm planning on taking my girls to the beach tomorrow evening to take some portraits. I'm looking for any and tips and suggestions.
    Thanks in advance,
    Heather

Real Name
    Rick

Re: beach portraits

Hi, Heather;

There was a good thread here about photography at the beach. Troy was talking about shooting at his prom, which included time at the beach.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    John

beach portraits

Here is my attempt at beach photography, well the beach is implied.

As time is limited to a day, I will only suggest that you need to be very careful of exposure problems. It is very easy, with this type of location, to have the background, which you didn't notice, controlling the exposure. So I would advise to keep metering around the main scene and, if necessary, use fill flash or be prepared to allow for some slight background overexposure.

I'm assuming that you don't want to carry a ton of clever lighting accessories with you.

Using Raw might help to give you a second chance.

Real Name
    Myra

Hi Heather,

I was just looking through the Digital Photographer Magazine (from the UK) the other day. Came across a beautiful summer photo (by T. Peel) in a feature about summer portraits. It was taken on a beach, shooting into the sun so that the faces of the two children fill almost the entire frame, with a halo light effect around their hair. The settings were f/4, 1/400, ISO 320. Maybe that could be a starting point?

Have fun!

Myra

Thanks everyone. Was fighting through traffic to get to the beach when i realized I forgot the shirt my youngest why going to be wearing. We turned around to go pick it up but there was no way we were going to make it before the sun set. We are planning to try again, possibly Monday.