Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 and all that

Real Name
    Ken

Windows 10 and all that

Recently I purchased a new computer which runs Windows 10, and also a laptop which self updated to windows 10. Thought nothing of it until I tried to install the scanner driver for my Canon Pixma MP970 printer, only to find that drivers are only available up to Windows 8.1. I did find a printer driver however.

Now if I want to scan anything I will have take of photo of the document, download it to the computer, so that I can email it. Canon said that it was unlikely that I would get a driver.

I don't want to replace a perfectly good printer.

How many other users have found themselves in this situation.

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Re: Windows 10 and all that

Quote Originally Posted by Ken MT View Post
    Recently I purchased a new computer which runs Windows 10, and also a laptop which self updated to windows 10. Thought nothing of it until I tried to install the scanner driver for my Canon Pixma MP970 printer, only to find that drivers are only available up to Windows 8.1. I did find a printer driver however.

Now if I want to scan anything I will have take of photo of the document, download it to the computer, so that I can email it. Canon said that it was unlikely that I would get a driver.

I don't want to replace a perfectly good printer.

How many other users have found themselves in this situation.
    Hi Ken,

Ah have a Canon 7750 and an old(ish) Canon 9000f Mkll scanner, neither needed a driver, nor compatibility mode, when ah upgraded from Win 8.1 Pro. Had the very latest drivers installed which were both a couple of years old, in the scanner case, several years old.

There's a few methods for installing drivers which Canon won't support for Win 10. Here's a few (not for your particular model but the method should be the same). Needless tae say, make a restore point before downloading and installing the drivers, only use 32 bit driver on 32 bit printer, the same for 64 bit and ensure that ye have the very latest driver for your machine. Using compatibility mode is the key.

The quoted answers below are from the MS site...

" 1)

It is correct that Canon will not provide any Windows 10 driver.

Fortunately you can still make it work by installing the windows 8.1 driver in compatibility mode:

Download the most recent windows 8.1 driver from the Canon website for your printer.
    Right click on the downloaded file and select 'Properties'.
    Go to the 'Compatibility' tab.
    Check the box 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: ' and select 'Windows 8' from the drop-down menu.
    Close the window by pressing 'OK'.
    Now you can install this driver setup.
    After installation restart the printer !!! then the computer.

2)

It was even easier for me - I just went to the Canon driver download center selecting this printer and the 64 bit windows 8.1 operating system. Then downloaded the MP620 series mini master setup and it just worked: http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consu...ge=&os=WINDOWS NT (64-bit)

3)

I'll try to talk you through it, step-by-step.
    This is what I did:

1) First remove all existing Canon drivers and tools through the Windows Application Install and removal wizard (press windowskey + R on your keyboard; enter the phrase "appwiz.cpl" and hit enter). If I'm not mistaken, there were 4 Canon instances in the list.
    After this, I rebooted once.

2)Next go to the canon support site:
    http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consu...ge=&os=WINDOWS NT (64-bit)
    Select OS: Windows 8 - 64 bit ==> you wil get a resultlist of applicable drivers
    The first result should be "MP620 series Mini Master Setup (Windows 8.1 x64/8 x64/7 x64/Vista64)"
    Click the download button for this tool and accept the License agreement. (For some reason, the tool did not download for me. If you experience the same, just click the "More Details"-link on the left side and download the tool from this new page).

3)Do not let the downloaded file execute automatically when the download has finisched, but instead open explorer and browse to the folder where the downloaded file is.

4)Right click the downloaded file (md6l-win-mp620-1_05-ea24.exe) and click Properties.

5)Go to the tabsheet Compatibility, check the box before "Execute this program in compatability mode for:" and select "Windows 8" from the list just underneath.

6)Click Apply and next OK.

7)Now just execute the file (md6l-win-mp620-1_05-ea24.exe) and follow the onscreen instructions.

Side note: the downloaded file, is a self-extracting ZIP-archive. When you execute it, it extracts itsself and starts the extracted Setup.exe automatically. At first I thought I needed to stop the process after all files were exctracted, in order to change the properties of the extracted Setup.exe file as well, just to be sure the extracted file would be executed in compatability mode as well. This is not the case. Just let the extraction finish and let the Setup-process start automatically and you'll be fine. (No need to change the properties of the extracted files... I have no idea whether the extracted files are in fact automatically executed in compatability mode or not...)

When setup is finished, enjoy a working, networked Canon MP620 printer and scanner in Windows 10 "

PS if all the above fail, ye could try completely uninstalling the printer (removing ALL related files) then, re-install the printer and WIN 10 will probably offer a driver in compatibility mode.
    Last edited by tao2; 19th August 2016 at 10:00 AM.

Real Name
    Dave

Hopefully, Boab's route will work.

However, if not I have just checked and Vuescan does support your device https://www.hamrick.com

Its what I had to use to get my Nikon Coolscan up and running again, and I'm very happy with it.

Dave

Real Name
    Dan

Ken, Boab, and Dave,

Thanks for these posts. One of the nice things about Canon printers, in my experience, is that they keep working for a very long time, and one of mine is in fact the same as Ken's--a very old MP970. I have been putting off the Win 10 upgrade until my university supports it--they still have us on Win 7, with which I am completely happy--and it hadn't occurred to me that the MP970 is so old that Canon might not want to bother with new drivers. I'll store this thread for the inevitable upgrade.

Dan

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I had a similar problem with my Canon iP4300 - I must say I'm quite annoyed by Canon not creating Win 10 drivers for so many products.

After research, I found that I could probably use the Win 8.1 driver also.
    Downloaded and ran it, but didn't appreciate, until I read Boab's post above, when and how to get to the Compatibility tab in Properties, I was trying after installation, when there's no sign of it.

Anyway, it didn't initially work.
    When I opened Printers and Devices with the printer powered, I found an unlisted "Inkjet Printer" and the properties for that said the was a problem, so I selected Troubleshoot from the right click menu and it said it had fixed it.

One reboot later, it does now seem to be available.

Just have to try (and potentially fix) my Canon 5600 scanner next.

Oh, and don't ask me about the bl**dy disappearing Win 10 Start Menu - it went away, wasted hours researching and trying to restore it, but then (after an update) it came back again
    The relief was shortlived, by the next day, it had gone again

Is it so dang hard to have a Start Menu that works? - seems pretty basic to me, how can they stuff that up! Grrrr.
    Fortunately, I have found a way to get round most things (it still right clicks), but for goodness sake MS!!!!

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 19th August 2016 at 10:37 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Oh, and don't ask me about the bl**dy disappearing Win 10 Start Menu - it went away, wasted hours researching and trying to restore it, but then (after an update) it came back again
    But has now gone again

Is it so dang hard to have a Start Menu that works? - seems pretty basic to me, how can they stuff that up! Grrrr.
    Fortunately, I have found a way to get round most things (it still right clicks), but for goodness sake MS!!!!

Dave
    The following will fix it (until it happens again?)

Run cammand prompt as Administrator and type SFC /scannow
    It will take ages to complete....

Press enter and let it scan for missing or corrupt files and reboot when it finishes

NOW for the important part!

Press Windows Key + R

Type services.msc and hit enter
    Search for tiledatamodelsvc, right-click and click Stop.

- Now you may delete the TileDataLayer folder entirely
    Locate to : C:/Users/name/AppData/Local/ and delete the TileDataLayer folder.
    Should fix everything immediately, no reboot necessary.
    And remember to clean the recycle bin after you deleted the folder
    and give it 1min then everything is back to normal!

Good luck,
    Dicky.

Real Name
    Dan

You might want to try installing Classic Shell, http://www.fosshub.com/Classic-Shell...etup_4_2_5.exe. It gives you the windows 7 start menu, with an option at the bottom to call up the windows 10 start menu whenever you want (which is very rarely, in my case). I have had this on a windows 10 surface pro for nearly a year, and it has never malfunctioned.

Real Name
    Ken

Thanks Robert (Bob) will give it ago, after getting grips with Lightfoot/Photoshop CC.

Real Name
    John

I had the same problem when first using Win7, there are usually compatible drivers available.

Real Name
    Roy

I wish I had seen this earlier. I could not get a Win 10 driver for my Canon Lide 25, and rather than dual booting with Win 7 and win 10, I spent some birthday money on a new HP scanner. Anyone close to Ayr who would like a hardly used Lide 25 scanner for free, please let me know.

Real Name
    David Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Hopefully, Boab's route will work.

However, if not I have just checked and Vuescan does support your device https://www.hamrick.com

Its what I had to use to get my Nikon Coolscan up and running again, and I'm very happy with it.

Dave
    Seconded,Vuescan is an exceptional piece of software which does a fine job and probably faster than the OEM software.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

I am as happy as the proverbial clown with Windows 7...it has yet to fail me, in anything.
    There is not a day goes by that I fail to read of another problem with Windows 10.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    I am as happy as the proverbial clown with Windows 7...it has yet to fail me, in anything.
    There is not a day goes by that I fail to read of another problem with Windows 10.
    I was happy with Windows 98 and steered clear of the in-betweens, it'll catch up with you eventually.

Real Name
    Dan

For the most part, I agree. Windows 10 does have some advantages on tablets, but the few advantages for desktop use (e.g., multiple desktops) don't seem worth the hassle to me. I'm not a free agent in this; most of the computers I work with are controlled by my university. They are very cautious about changing OSs and skipped Windows 8 entirely. They will eventually switch to Windows 10, so I am hoping that the collective here has solved the photo editing problems by then!

Real Name
    Richard

I have just received my new computer (Dell XPS 8900 with all the bells and whistles). It is running Win-10. I am waiting for my tech to come over and set it up properly. I will be running a Canon Pixma 9000 Mark-II and a Brother B&W Laser printer. I want the Laser set up wirelessly (it is presently running as wired) so my wife's desktop computer will be able to share this.

I am wondering if all of my hardware and/or software will be compatible with Win-10. I am running Win-7 on my present computer.

I don't use a scanner with my computer, my wife's computer is set up with a scanner.

I have CS6 and have ordered Photoshop CC. I also will load NIK and On1 Photo software as well as Legacy Family Tree for my genealogy, Libre Office for word processing, Drop Box to store our dog rescue information and files and share it between our rescuers, Copernic Agent which is absolutely the best search agent for genealogy as well; and Panasonic HD Writer and Wondershare Filmora for light video editing.

I have a new 5TB external hard drive for backup and will also back up my files on Carbonite.

Real Name
    Roy

There was quite an major problem when changing from XP to Win7, the front speaker/earphone socket stopped working. There was a fair amount of chat on forums but no-one ever came up with a solution.

Win 10 solved it.

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Quote Originally Posted by royphot View Post
    There was quite an major problem when changing from XP to Win7, the front speaker/earphone socket stopped working. There was a fair amount of chat on forums but no-one ever came up with a solution.

Win 10 solved it.
    Hi Roy,

There was a simple resolution for 99% of this problem - way back then. Device manager - sound, video and audio devices- right click audio - disable- exit and switch off PC ( not restart) - switch back on - back tae audio device - enable - et voilą...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The main reason I went with Windows 10 from Windows 7 when I installed a new MB was that Windows 7 Home was limited to 16GB of RAM. With Win 10, that limit has been removed and I am running 32GB. Memory management is better so I don't get into situations where I need the "virtual memory" i.e. swap to hard drive any more and of course the price was right (and cheaper than moving to another version of Win 7).

All the bloatware and telemetry; I don't use it and so far as I can tell, have blocked most of the MS servers from getting through the firewall. I don't use a MS account, so no personalized data collection.

Real Name
    Ken

Thanks for the replies, it looks like that it is not only me having teething troubles with Win10.
    Richard, watch out when your wife's computer operating system gets updated.
    David, Vuescan looks good but is about the price of a new printer.

Cheers

Real Name
    Richard

Ken, As long as possible, we will keep my wife's computer running Win-7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast