Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Pay it Forward

Real Name
    Kay

Pay it Forward

Now I didn't see the 'Pay it Forward' movie - but I think this fits the concept.
    Colin does a good deed with his Portrait school, for 'random' folks here who cannot send him a nice bottle of red because a) he doesn't drink & b) we don't know his address.
    So he is doing a favour it advance rather than 'paying it back'.......
    So when one of the Teacher's here said her son's team had made the footy final on the weekend. I did a 'Colin' and spent a very pleasant morning out with my 200mm & 2x converter

So I thought I'd share some of the results with you guys.
    We in the sports threads have been speaking recently about getting the ball in the frame, is it alwyas necessary etc....it is much easier outdoors & with this size ball too of course!
    but what I tried to do as well, was shoot things like the score board every so often, the Coach & bench etc to try and make a series showing all facets of the event.

Pay it Forward

Pay it Forward

Pay it Forward

Pay it Forward

Pay it Forward

Cheers & may your team win!

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Pay it Forward

Great series Kay. Knowing the great game of Aussie Rules you have captured the action very well.

BUT. Being a Melbourne supportor I would have liked a few shots with the other jumper in.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Great series Kay.

I was at the battle of Croke Park in Dublin in 2006 when the Aussie Rules and Gaelic Football combined rules game started in total mayhem and violence and continued like that for the whole of the game. We had been over with the Scottish shinty team (see www.shinty.com) playing Irish hurlers in our version of the combined rules.

Real Name
    Terry

Kay, may I commend you not only on your excellent images, but on your above excellent attitude as well.

You are an Inspiration. As is your Inspiration.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Kay,

Brilliant series of action (and atmosphere) shots.

There's really nothing to criticise about these because they (the players) are where they are, all you can do is get sharp well exposed pictures (and you have).

'Normal' rules of cropping and composition clearly just don't apply, these are to 'sport rules' and are excellent and fit for any sporting publication.

Well done,

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Kay

I hope you don't mind me doing this. But as a lover (and former player many years ago) of a very physical team sport, I have to confess to feeling that the best sport is where the hard edge of competition is evident. I understand the argument that it's about taking part and about reaping the benefit of exercise. But the fire that comes from competition is where it's at, so long as it doesn't take over one's life and become something anti-social, like it does for so many soccer 'supporters' particularly in west central Scotland.

But part of your image just summed up what it's about.

4945829314_7daee05c32_o.jpg

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Great series Kay. Knowing the great game of Aussie Rules you have captured the action very well.

BUT. Being a Melbourne supportor I would have liked a few shots with the other jumper in.
    okay - just for you
    & we Geelong supporters can be kind to those who for some reason haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet

Pay it Forward

& this shows Donald's wee guy in action isn't he great?
    the age grp is 14-16 so there are some big lads turning 16 in with this wee fella who is probably 14, but fearless!

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Kay

I hope you don't mind me doing this. But as a lover (and former player many years ago) of a very physical team sport, I have to confess to feeling that the best sport is where the hard edge of competition is evident. I understand the argument that it's about taking part and about reaping the benefit of exercise. But the fire that comes from competition is where it's at, so long as it doesn't take over one's life and become something anti-social, like it does for so many soccer 'supporters' particularly in west central Scotland.

But part of your image just summed up what it's about.
    I don't mind at all Donald - & one thing we are still thankful for here is we can have 80 - 90 thousand fans at the big games and yet we don't need to segregate the supporters to different areas of the ground for their own safety.

I will look up your shinty link today

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    okay - just for you
    & we Geelong supporters can be kind to those who for some reason haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet

Pay it Forward

& this shows Donald's wee guy in action isn't he great?
    the age grp is 14-16 so there are some big lads turning 16 in with this wee fella who is probably 14, but fearless!
    I think we need to sign him for next year. - GO DEES.

Real Name
    Pops

Great series and great shots, Kay. I don't shoot this stuff any more, but I remember trying to get these shots with a 2 1/4 square Speed Graphic. (ouch!!)

Pops

Real Name
    Myra

Wow! I haven't tried this type of sport for years (and did a poor job with a point and shoot!) Wonderful series!!

Myra