Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: IT'S TIME CS6 Windows 7 to CC Windows 10

Real Name
    Richard

IT'S TIME CS6 Windows 7 to CC Windows 10

I have my new computer coming and it will arrive any day now.
    I have settled on the Dell XPS 8900 with the following parameters:

Processor & Memory:
    Intel® Core i7-6700K Processor 4.0GHz
    32GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM

Drives:
    2TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
    Blu-ray Player (Reads BRD, Writes to DVD/CD)

Operating System:
    Microsoft® Windows 10

I was debating with myself whether to stick with the Adobe CS6 which I own and have been using for years OR subscribe to Adobe CC. I have watched several comparisons between CS6 and CC on YouTube and have decided to switch to Adobe CC.

Although I have been happy with CS6 plus NIK Software plug-ins, I have not been able to use On1 Photo10 effectively because the program was so slow in my setup. With my new computer and Adobe CC, I expect that On1 Photo10 will work better.

Many of the new developments in Adobe CC really look interesting to me and since I have already spent a large amount of cash on my new computer, I have decided that an extra ten dollars a month is very little (in comparison)

Has anyone else switched from Photoshop CS6 using Windows 7 to Photoshop CC using Windows 10?

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: IT'S TIME CS6 Windows 7 to CC Windows 10

One suggestion Richard, load CS6 and all your you know, Google Nik and that stuff,(For life of me can't think of the words I want to use). When you do load CC2015.5 go advance and tell it you want it to save CS6 if not it will wipe it with all your settings then install fresh, what you want is it to install and bring your old settings and use them in the newer version. (me and words don't work so good today).

Cheers and have fun: Allan

Real Name
    Dan

I haven't switch my photo computer to Windows 10, but I have been using the CC subscription for some time and have been happy with it.

I agree with Allan's suggestion.

Real Name
    Richard

GREAT IDEA, Allan! I would never have thought of doing that...

In fact, I might just start playing with CS6, backed up with NIK and a On1 Photo which works and see if that isn't enough for me... After all, CC is something that I can always add and since Allan suggests installing my present CS6 CS6 on the new computer, I might as well go that route!
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 12th August 2016 at 06:56 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

It was only after upgrading my main PC from Win 7 to 10 that I noticed I still had PS CS5 and CS6 installed on it, and I have been using CC for 2-3 years now!

I uninstalled CS5, can't see me ever wanting/needing to go back to it now.
    Left CS6 there as a back up should CC get trashed by their updates - I've already had this to some extent, apparently there's something in my hardware it doesn't like, but so far (touch wood) CC has kept working, despite it saying it failed to update, ACR has been, at least).

Mind you, I also seem to have several versions of that too; PS CC, CC2014, CC2015 and now CC2015.5 (are they allergic to "6"? or is CC2016 still to come I wonder?)

Richard, I don't think you'll notice much visual difference running it under Win 10 than Win 7.

Enjoy the new PC, but just be aware that you're making us envious - well me anyway - you can tell how old my PC is by all those ancient PS versions installed!

Cheers, Dave

Real Name
    Richard

Dave, I would have stuck with my old computer (Gateway, numerous years old) except that my techie says that the hard drive is ready to go out. Sure, I could have spent the money to replace the hard drive with a new one but, who knows what is going out next.

Right now I have the funds (although I am missing out on a photo trip that I dearly wanted to take).

However, missing out on that trip frees me up for some local shooting, I have reserved space in the first row of the grandstands for the Marine Corps Air Station Airshow in September. The higher grandstand seats are too far to the reqrfor good shooting so,
    I opted for the first row at ground level. I have shot from that position before using a 70-200mm lens with a 1.4x TC, and then again using a 300mm f/4L IS lens. Now that I have the longer (albeit a TAD slower) 100-400L II lens, I am anxious to shoot the aircraft...

Real Name
    James Edwards

One minor point Richard... don't forget to deactivate PS6 before you uninstall. ( I did so a couple of years back and had to contact Adobe to get them to deregister the original/old computer since I also had the software on a second 'backup' laptop.)

It is not a problem if you are only running one copy since you can have two running, the second being assumed to be on a backup device.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    GREAT IDEA, Allan! I would never have thought of doing that...

In fact, I might just start playing with CS6, backed up with NIK and a On1 Photo which works and see if that isn't enough for me... After all, CC is something that I can always add and since Allan suggests installing my present CS6 CS6 on the new computer, I might as well go that route!

I'm at the same point Richard and Alan's point is worth noting. I rebuilt my computer to the same spec you quote and the increase to 32GB of memory (maybe together with W10) seems to have produced some real benefit in terms of a faster smoother workflow.