Thread: Adapting circular polariser for cokin P

Real Name
    Lukasz

Adapting circular polariser for cokin P

Hello,

I have a set of 62mm Hoya filters (1 CPL and 2 ND) I would like to get a square Cokin P121F NDx8 along with a holder and 62mm adapter. The thing is I would like to combine all four together. With NDs there should be no problem I will simply srew the adapter onto ND filter and Bob's your uncle, But there is a problem with CPL, for obvious reasons. Does anyone know if there is a way of combining a screw-on Cir-PL and Cokin P holder?

Real Name
    Robin

Re: Adapting circular polariser for cokin P

Firstly the image quality drop from combining four filters (eight surfaces) is going to be noticeable to say the least so your basic idea isn't a strong one. If you absolutely insist then you could still use the CPL on the lens with the Cokin adapter screwed into it turning the entire Cokin holder to set the CPL.

Would you not be better off just buying a single high density ND filter?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I agree with Robin's image quality concerns, but would add that, unless the lens is telephoto, you are liable to see significant vignetting when stacking more than one screw on filter.

Warm welcome to the CiC forums from me.

Could you do me a favour please?
    Could you click Settings (right at the top),
    then Edit Profile (on left)
    and put your first name in the Real Name field
    and where you are (roughly) in the Location field,
    then click the Save Changes button below and to right,
    this helps everyone give you more personal and relevant answers - thanks in advance.

Cheers, Dave

Real Name
    Lukasz

Yes I know about vignete and image quality loss but I don't mean to stack up 3 screw on filters plus Cokin system, which I admit would be crazy . The problem is using Cokin P + P121F which is an ND Grad with my CPL because when I will twist the CPL the grad will also twist.

I also edited the profile as You asked
    Last edited by lbrodziak; 12th August 2016 at 06:16 AM.

Real Name
    Grahame

Hi Lukasz,

Screw your CPL onto the lens and screw your Cokin P 'adapter' into the front of the CPL (assuming CPL has female thread).

The Cokin filter holder will rotate on the Cokin adaptor screwed into the lens easily (at least mine does).

For ease of use you can rotate your CPL first to where you want it, then carefully slide the Cokin holder onto the adapter, carefully keeping it square should you be using a Grad ND.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by lbrodziak View Post
    Yes I know about vignete and image quality loss but I don't mean to stack up 3 screw on filters plus Cokin system, which I admit would be crazy . The problem is using Cokin P + P121F which is an ND Grad with my CPL because when I will twist the CPL the grad will also twist.

Lukasz I don't know about Cokin but Formatt-Hitech make an adapter that mounts on the front of their square filter holder and it can be used to mount a CPL in the very front of the assembly. See here. You might be able to use a Formatt-Hitech holder with your Cokin filters, you'd have to check the thickness.

You do however need a fairly large CPL (95mm for an 85mm square holder) and these are probably fairly expensive.

Dave

Real Name
    Lukasz

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Hi Lukasz,

Screw your CPL onto the lens and screw your Cokin P 'adapter' into the front of the CPL (assuming CPL has female thread).

The Cokin filter holder will rotate on the Cokin adaptor screwed into the lens easily (at least mine does).
    And this is the answer I simply didn't know I could rotate the holder on the adaptor Guess Read The Manual First rule applies here thank you for your answer Grahame.

Also thanks go to everybody else who provided an insight on this thread

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Lukasz,

I'm glad you found an answer here and I hope you continue with your membership here.

We're all here to learn and help each other out.

Cheers, Dave

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by lbrodziak View Post

Replace your current screw in CPL for the Cokin version which sits in the very rear slot of the holder and spins within it. This means your GND can go in one of the front slots and work together as one coherent unit.