Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Hummingbird grand finale

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    Real Name
    Steve

    Hummingbird grand finale

    First i would like to say thanks to everyone for all the kind remarks in the other hummer threads. I really appreciate it!

    This will prob. be the last of the hummer shots for this year. I have one more set after this. Hope you like them.........................

    Hummingbird grand finale


    Hummingbird grand finale


    Hummingbird grand finale


    Hummingbird grand finale


    Hummingbird grand finale


    Hummingbird grand finale

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,080
    Real Name
    Wendy

    Re: Hummingbird grand finale

    Hey Steve, never mind thanking us - Thank You for posting them. I saw a hummer in my Dad's garden the other day, first one I've seen this year, and I had forgotten just how small they are. It's amazing how you have captured them, they are so small and so quick. Looking forward to your next venture. The Herons and Hummers were great this season.

    Wendy

  3. #3
    Antonio Correia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Setubal - Portugal
    Posts
    3,743
    Real Name
    António Correia

    Re: Hummingbird grand finale

    Very nice shots

    How did you get the dark background ?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Hummingbird grand finale

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Hey Steve, never mind thanking us - Thank You for posting them. I saw a hummer in my Dad's garden the other day, first one I've seen this year, and I had forgotten just how small they are. It's amazing how you have captured them, they are so small and so quick. Looking forward to your next venture. The Herons and Hummers were great this season.

    Wendy
    Thanks wendy.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Hummingbird grand finale

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    Very nice shots

    How did you get the dark background ?
    Thanks antonio, the background is a row of pine trees about 10 yards behind the birds. The light in only on the birds, not the background. When you expose for the bird, the background goes darker.

  6. #6
    Petracsr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    58
    Real Name
    Petra

    Re: Hummingbird grand finale

    Beautiful. I love the second to last one where the bird is looking right at you.

  7. #7
    timo2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    220
    Real Name
    Tim

    Re: Hummingbird grand finale

    Excellent shots

  8. #8
    wilgk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Victoria Australia
    Posts
    2,408
    Real Name
    Kay

    Re: Hummingbird grand finale

    Quote Originally Posted by Petracsr View Post
    Beautiful. I love the second to last one where the bird is looking right at you.
    Terrific once again Steve!
    I agree with Petra, i kept thinking as I scrolled through this one, no this one - then the one looking at you WOW!

  9. #9
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,786
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Hummingbird grand finale

    Amazing shots. Never seen better.

  10. #10
    Ollokot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    562
    Real Name
    Pat

    Re: Hummingbird grand finale

    Hi Steve OUTSTANDING SHOTS. Do Hummingbirds put up with the presence of us humans or did you need a hide.As a wildlife enthusiast my hope for the future is to capture shots that would come up to even half the quality of yours.
    Steve, these images are a joy to behold, many thanks for the opportunity to view them.
    Best Wishes Pat.

  11. #11
    dharankk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    India (Kerala)
    Posts
    51
    Real Name
    Vidyadharan

    Re: Hummingbird grand finale

    Fantastic and beautiful shots.Thanks for sharing

  12. #12
    bleys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    151

    Re: Hummingbird grand finale

    Bravo!

    Thanks for sharing.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Hummingbird grand finale

    Quote Originally Posted by Petracsr View Post
    Beautiful. I love the second to last one where the bird is looking right at you.
    Thank you petra.



    Quote Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
    Excellent shots
    Thanks tim.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Hummingbird grand finale

    Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Terrific once again Steve!
    I agree with Petra, i kept thinking as I scrolled through this one, no this one - then the one looking at you WOW!
    Thanks kay

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Hummingbird grand finale

    Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Amazing shots. Never seen better.
    Thanks steve, i appreciate it.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Hummingbird grand finale

    Quote Originally Posted by Ollokot View Post
    Hi Steve OUTSTANDING SHOTS. Do Hummingbirds put up with the presence of us humans or did you need a hide.As a wildlife enthusiast my hope for the future is to capture shots that would come up to even half the quality of yours.
    Steve, these images are a joy to behold, many thanks for the opportunity to view them.
    Best Wishes Pat.
    Thank you Pat

    If you use a feeder(like i do), and spend some time around it, they will get very comfortable with you.(some will even fly up to 3 feet away just to say hello , very cool and will make you smile every time ). If you're going to shoot in the wild, you may want a ground blind. To get good shots , you HAVE to get close ( i shoot from about 10 feet with a 420mm lens).

  17. #17
    Ollokot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    562
    Real Name
    Pat

    Re: Hummingbird grand finale

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Thank you Pat

    If you use a feeder(like i do), and spend some time around it, they will get very comfortable with you.(some will even fly up to 3 feet away just to say hello , very cool and will make you smile every time ). If you're going to shoot in the wild, you may want a ground blind. To get good shots , you HAVE to get close ( i shoot from about 10 feet with a 420mm lens).
    Hi Steve, I'm near putting the finishing touches to a home made hide that i can carry fairly comfortably.I'v looked at ground blinds on the net but find it hard to determine which ones are good,your recommendation would be highly appreciated. I use a 100-400mm lens,as you say closeness is a must.
    Have had some small success with garden birds.
    Thanks again, Best Wishes Pat.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •