Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Chuff chuff chuff

Real Name
    Steve

Chuff chuff chuff

It was raining again and I pressed a button accidently which made my camera work wrong. I even forgot my specs. But it has nothing to do with these pics. This place seems to be struggling keeping open.

Chuff chuff chuff

Chuff chuff chuff

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Chuff chuff chuff

i like the top image.bring back memory's of the old deltic's (think that what it is) going by the bottom of my parents garden.I'm sure sometimes i can still hear them well maybe not

Real Name
    Steve

Yes I suspect they was probably noisy.

Steve

Shouldn't that say 'choo-choo'? You must be chuffed with shot #1

Real Name
    Kay

I like both - but especially #2
    the colours & the old fashioned street lamps plus the position of the train in the frame are terrific.

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers rob, it is the continued experiment with the GG2 filter; I thought you might be able to tell with a dark object in the foreground but obviously not and without it the dark bits don't have any definition.
    Last edited by arith; 29th August 2010 at 08:05 AM.

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers Kay, it is a modified Orton method with a GG2 and a photoshop weakest blue filter at 50% density.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Steve,

Both are good subject compositions and nice, big images, as usual from yourself.

Personally I don't go for that (or any) filter effect - as the subject matter interests me, anything that distorts or blurs my view of it, or gets in the way (like the sign in #1) slightly annoys me, but of course these things are usually unavoidable I appreciate you, like me, wait patiently until things are as good as they can be regarding extraneous image content, or stray bods in shot as they're sometimes known.

If I were to be nit-picky with #2, I wonder whether a step closer might have eliminated the building edge and chimney peeking around the smokebox? That said, the angle of the locomotive, fence, paltform, train, et al, is perfect now. I suppose cloning them away is a possibility, same for the cable in foreground (I would, but then I'm nuts like that).

Looks like you had a go at lessening the prominence of the "Stop Look Listen" sign, either by blurring it, or just not sharpening it. Nice shot, I like it and studied the engine details for well over a minute (I'm not saying how long )

Cheers,

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers Dave. Some more

Chuff chuff chuff

Chuff chuff chuff

Chuff chuff chuff

Chuff chuff chuff

The third is paper size 14" x 11" but obviously will go to 28" x 22", it is only a spot of vignetting caused by the shade.

Real Name
    Steve

Yet another four; it takes a while to do these.

Chuff chuff chuff

Chuff chuff chuff

Chuff chuff chuff

Chuff chuff chuff

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the eight extras

On the last four, they all tend to look a just little green to me, is it possible there is a WB issue? Or is it like that in 'real life' - e.g. green gunge on the shed rooflights & floor and reflected green light from one loco illuminating the other and gravel, etc. I think it might well be that - just an observation.

Of these later ones, my favourites are #1 and #4 of the second batch and #2 in the third batch, the 'vanishing point' alongside the diesel makes the shot for me. The other 'standout' feature of your shots vs mine in similar situations is the lack of a blown sky, and yet it looks natural.

Thanks,

Steve

Some good shots here but the front view of the 2 diesels in British Rail livery is definitely my pick of the bunch. Some get all teary eyed and Bernard Shaw over the steam trains (and I can see why) but I barely remember steam trains. These diesels were a poignant aspect of my formative years (living near Stephenson's Manchester-Liverpool line). The smell alone brings back childhood trips to Liverpool and holidays on the North Wales. See you have got me all teary eyed and Bernard Manning now. I even remember at the tender age of 17 hiding on the platform waiting for my girlfriends parents to see her off. Then jumping aboard so I could spend the week camping with her. What a cad.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for the eight extras

On the last four, they all tend to look a just little green to me, is it possible there is a WB issue? Or is it like that in 'real life' - e.g. green gunge on the shed rooflights & floor and reflected green light from one loco illuminating the other and gravel, etc. I think it might well be that - just an observation.

Of these later ones, my favourites are #1 and #4 of the second batch and #2 in the third batch, the 'vanishing point' alongside the diesel makes the shot for me. The other 'standout' feature of your shots vs mine in similar situations is the lack of a blown sky, and yet it looks natural.

Thanks,
    White point is a big problem Dave; I'm going to have to get a card but then, how to get a pic of it without it blowing away. Regarding blown sky's and underexposed low detail lowlights, I'm experimenting with GG2 that is 2 stop gradual between top and bottom and could be a useful 1 stop in the image. Well now I know it is better and I can't see any evidence of its use. The green stuff is probably my fault because I change tint to something more green.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Steve

Some good shots here but the front view of the 2 diesels in British Rail livery is definitely my pick of the bunch. Some get all teary eyed and Bernard Shaw over the steam trains (and I can see why) but I barely remember steam trains. These diesels were a poignant aspect of my formative years (living near Stephenson's Manchester-Liverpool line). The smell alone brings back childhood trips to Liverpool and holidays on the North Wales. See you have got me all teary eyed and Bernard Manning now. I even remember at the tender age of 17 hiding on the platform waiting for my girlfriends parents to see her off. Then jumping aboard so I could spend the week camping with her. What a cad.
    Cor, I was an Air Cadet and in Nottingham on my way home this greasy chap was shouting and banging on my window of the BR train. I ignored the idiot and hoped he would go away. The train moved and he was gone.

He was my flying instructor in the RAFVR, and the train driver and said he thought I might like to sit at the front.

Real Name
    Steve

And finally a lucky shot, or maybe I will find another. Sometimes I'm taken by surprise and I only use manual setting but click blindly in the hope something turns out and 99% of the time it doesn't.

Chuff chuff chuff