Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Play thing

Real Name
    Tim

Play thing

Play thing

Re: Play thing

I think they just like things that move. Our cat goes nuts for a fluffy thing on the end of a piece of string.

Real Name
    David

Tim - what a fascinating shot. I trust that there was no untoward outcome for cat or snake. My two cats have never encountered a real snake, but they do seem to reserve a particular type of behaviour for long sinuous objects that they encounter with the curiosity and arching of the back as seen in your photo.

Cheers

David

When he was younger, and a bit faster, my cat regularly brought home Slow Worm tails. When threatened, they shed the tip of their tails which keep wriggling. A predator, like my half witted cat, pounces on the tail while the 'snake' escapes.

Real Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Tim - what a fascinating shot. I trust that there was no untoward outcome for cat or snake. My two cats have never encountered a real snake, but they do seem to reserve a particular type of behaviour for long sinuous objects that they encounter with the curiosity and arching of the back as seen in your photo.

Cheers

David
    Unfortunately the snake (Leopard snake) was already dead. It was by the side of the road, probably hit by a car but the young cat wasn’t taking any chances.

My cats sometimes bring live snakes into the house and let them go. We once had a Leopard snake appear from under the computer keyboard; that gave the wife a fright

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post

Cheers

David
    Not only cats. We had hens on the farm and throw them some left-over rice and they would eat it in a henly manner. Peck, peck and all that. But....throw them some left-over spaghetti and they'd go nutso - leaping and squarking and flapping their wings at each other to get in FIRST!! No doubt at all that they thought I was throwing them a nice, big clump of worms.

Real Name
    Tim

A few days ago I watched one of our hens swallow a mouse whole!