Summer Games: Lacross

Here are some Lacross images.

C&C is most welcomed

1. Summer Games: Lacross

2. Summer Games: Lacross

3. Summer Games: Lacross

4. Summer Games: Lacross

5. Summer Games: Lacross
    Last edited by Rita; 27th July 2016 at 03:12 AM.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: Summer Games Cont. Lacross

Exposure are all good. Good action shots. You got all of them sharp and makes it interesting. My favourite is the last one, you caught this shot very well with their feet almost off the ground. No 1 is funny -- they looked like they are fencing one another. Just goes to show how ignorant I am of other games apart from Aussie Rules footy and Cricket. Sorry Rita. I do not know what game this is...really. (I am not joking... I should get out more I think...or watch more tv.) I guess this is a ball game, not a bug capturing competition.

Real Name
    John

Nice set.

Thanks Izzie and John.

I don't know much more than you Izzie. This is the first time I have seen this game played. It is a fast paced game where they through a ball with this stick with the net and the other player catches it in the net. They try to get the ball in the opponents net to score. When the game starts, or after someone scores there is an interesting way of starting the play, one player from each team meet at the centre of the field and they have almost a wrestling match to see who gets the ball. I quit enjoyed watching this sport and would like to see it again.

This is what the start of the game looks like:

Real Name
    Izzie

Well, to remember what Donald said in your other post, if you know the game, you'd be able to anticipate the next action move to shoot. Considering you were just tippy-toeing into this genre of sports, you've done very well. My hats off to you. I can just imagine how busy your thinking was as you press that shutter button on each move...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Rita View Post
    I don't know much more than you Izzie. This is the first time I have seen this game played.
    We need to get you and Joanne van Praag (User Name - mammarazzi) talking. Her daughter plays at international level for Wales and Joanne's Lacrosse images are wonderful. If you do an advanced search using her User Name, you'll find these images.
    Last edited by Donald; 28th July 2016 at 04:12 PM.

Real Name
    Dave

I played the game for over twenty five years (not to international standard!), though in the UK it's a winter sport, and I really enjoyed the pictures, both the quality and the content.

I think you would need to watch it for a while, preferably with a "coach", to get the hang of what is going on. It's fast, the action takes place behind the goal as well as in front (like ice hockey), and like many team sports what is happening off the ball is as important as where the ball is.

I used to be a goalie. Nobody takes pictures of us

Dave

Izzie, my mind was busy! A lot of times I was thinking "Darn, where's the ball."

Thanks for this reminder Donald. I do remember seeing images of her daughter, I will search for them and take another look.

David, thanks for commenting. I really did find the game interesting. Noticed that the play did continue behind the net by about 4-5meters, I also noticed that players in different positions had different sized sticks (?).
    You said that no-one takes pics of the goalie, well, I did

1. Summer Games: Lacross

2. Summer Games: Lacross

3. How the goalie reacts in a gold medal game when the score becomes 8-0 in the first 10 minutes

Real Name
    Dave

Interesting. Our goals were six feet square and those look narrower, and the guys look a bit under-protected!

Not surprised the guy in number 3 let a few in if he's also the goalie in number 2. Rule is, body first, stick second

On the other hand, it got me my one and only name check in a headline on the sports page of a national newspaper. But that's another story..... (I still have the clipping though!)

Dave

Real Name
    Izzie

Now your response got me intrigue...come on...I am like at the edge of the stick wanting to know more. I googled La Crosse, Youtube and seen what the game looks like...does that count?

Real Name
    Dave

(With apologies to Rita, for going off topic)

Well, then you already know more than 99% of the population (they play it in Oz, too).

The game has changed a lot over the years. When I started, there were no field boundaries - you were supposed to make use of natural boundaries. I remember the kids playing soccer next to us getting upset when a bunch of lacrosse players with big sticks came rampaging across their pitch. One of their coaches said that lacrosse players should be kept in cages when not on the pitch - which I thought a little harsh!

The equipment has changed too. Our sticks were all imported from the US, they were made of hickory steamed and shaped, and the bag was made from leather and gut. You could fell an ox with one of those.

Dave

No problem Dave.

Izzie, if you get a chance to see a live game it is an exciting event. You may be able to find a game through amateur sports in your area.