Thread: Green Frog

Real Name
    Randy

Green Frog

Sag Quarries, Cook County Forest Preserve. IL.

Green Frog with what I believe to be a recently emerged dragonfly near its tymphanum (ear structure). If anyone can positively identify what it is, that would be greatly appreciated. I think it's a dragonfly based on its "stocky," rather than "thin," damsel fly-like body. I hadn't notice the "bonus" when I originally took this photo. Also, I should have changed position to avoid the distracting piece of limestone in the bottom right foreground. Any C&C you offer will be appreciated. --Randy

Green Frog

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Green Frog

its still emerging, no way to tell completely what it is until its fully emerged pumped out the body and wings and started to colour up but looking at the head shape it probably is a damsel

Real Name
    John

Nice shot.

Real Name
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by marlunn View Post
    its still emerging, no way to tell completely what it is until its fully emerged pumped out the body and wings and started to colour up but looking at the head shape it probably is a damsel
    Thanks for the information, Mark. I'm surprised the frog didn't bother to dislodge its "guest," and try to make a meal of it.

Real Name
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice shot.
    I'm glad you liked viewing the frog photo, and thanks, John, for commenting on it.

Real Name
    James Edwards

Interesting shot. I agree with you about survival of the damsel. I believe the frogs hunting/feeding instinct is triggered by insects etc moving, so it was in a rather perilous place. Between a rock and a hard place?..... sorry couldn't resist

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

A bit too busy in my opinion...I think the leaf near the damsel should be cloned out. do you know what are those green little things on top of your froggy? No, they do not distract, I am just curious...

Real Name
    Randy

Hello Izzie,

I agree with you that it's a "busy" photograph. I have very minimal post-processing skills, and I, too, don't like the leaf near the damselfly. I thought about trying to clone it out, but then I thought..."If I get lucky and somehow do a good job cloning it out, what do I use to fill the now vacant space? His lower leg and foot!" Unfortunately, I am 100% confident that I couldn't come close to achieving that.

The very small, rod-like, light green objects on his back and under his eye are a type of algae. They form "blooms" that cover the surface of the water, and the blooms seem to drift toward the shore. The frog picked some algae up and onto his skin as he left the water and moved onto the land.

The larger "bumps" on the frog's body are primarily mucous glands that secrete a slippery substance similar to the mucous secreted by similar-functioning glands in human's nasal cavity.

Thanks for viewing the post and your comments.

Real Name
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by James G View Post
    Interesting shot. I agree with you about survival of the damsel. I believe the frogs hunting/feeding instinct is triggered by insects etc moving, so it was in a rather perilous place. Between a rock and a hard place?..... sorry couldn't resist
    Exactly! Thanks for replying, James.

Real Name
    Jim

That is kind of cool. Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Looks nice; probably a damsel with albinism

Real Name
    Judith

Really interesting shot. Burning in the foreground rock to darken it might help some. Thanks for posting!

Real Name
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    That is kind of cool. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks Jim. It was primarily a "grab" shot of a common frog that didn't jump into the water when I got near to him. I didn't realize that what has been ID'ed as a damselfly was present until after examining the image when I got back home.

Real Name
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    Looks nice; probably a damsel with albinism
    Thanks, Nandakumar. I really don't know if insects show albinism (complete lack of melanin) or leucostic (partial loss of melanin) traits. I know that birds. mammals, and fish can show albinism or leucostic traits. A little under a year ago I was present when the Illinois Dept. of Conservation stocked a spring-fed lake in Kendall County, IL with approx. 10-12 in long rainbow trout. There were a few much paler-looking fish in the schools that formed: viewing them in the clear lack, swimming about 2-3 ft from the surface, they actually looked very pale-orange in color to me. I asked what type of fish they were, and I was told they were albino trout.

Real Name
    Randy

Thanks, Judith for viewing the post and for your suggestion about darkening the foreground rock. I hope to try my hand at doing that this coming weekend.

Real Name
    Sandy

Randy - I like frogs! And I enjoyed your pic with the critter attached or sitting next to him, hard to tell. Frogs don't sit long for a photo session! The color is nicely done! Good luck convincing your frogs into posing perfectly for you!

Real Name
    Randy

Thanks Sandy. I like frogs, too. As with all nature shots of non-domesticated animals, I was happy to get the shot that I got.