Thread: Monk's Hood and Fox Tail

Real Name
    Dan

Monk's Hood and Fox Tail

In the final few days in our mountainside home I realized how badly I'd taken for granted the abundance of wildflowers just at our back door. Over the years I was very complacent with the attitude that they'd always be there. It's very late in the season but the monk's hood were still in bloom and that's one flower that I'd sadly overlooked to date. So I did take the time to grab a few shots. They are beautiful blooms. It was a windy day but I did what I could.

1) Monk's hood are typical tall, meadow type plants. The bloom sits atop a stalk a couple feet off the ground.
    Monk's Hood and Fox Tail

2) The source of the name seems rather obvious when one considers the shape.
    Monk's Hood and Fox Tail

3)
    Monk's Hood and Fox Tail

4)
    Monk's Hood and Fox Tail

Another plant I've neglected paying attention to is simply a grass with a nice seed top. Here they are commonly called fox tail and though quite pretty in the sunlight are hated by dog owners. The seeds have barbs on them similar to porcupine quills and if inhaled by a dog can imbed themselves in the sinus resulting in rather expensive veterinary bills and in extreme cases can kill the dog.

5) Backlit fox tail seed head.
    Monk's Hood and Fox Tail

Speaking of dogs, of course I had my little helper along on the shoot.

6) Grace's idea of helping.
    Monk's Hood and Fox Tail

7) And frustrated with her father for making her sit still long enough for a pose.
    Monk's Hood and Fox Tail

Real Name
    John

Re: Monk's Hood and Fox Tail

Nice series.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Particularly like #1 and #5 and of course the beautiful Grace.

Real Name
    Jim

Well taken Dan, enjoyed viewing.

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks for commenting, folks. No.1 is my favorite of the lot. I really like to shoot flowers backlit, preferably with the BG in shadow. I realize the DOF is all over the place on these what with the long stalks swaying in the breeze as they were.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Another brilliant series....as ever before....

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Thanks for commenting, folks. No.1 is my favorite of the lot. I really like to shoot flowers backlit, preferably with the BG in shadow. I realize the DOF is all over the place on these what with the long stalks swaying in the breeze as they were.

I don't do a lot of flower shots, but that is my favourite technique when I do. The transparency and the place of light through the petals gives stunning results, as you have shown here.

Real Name
    Randy

Extremely beautiful images! I didn't know that about fox tail seed heads. Thanks for pointing out its dangers.

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks, Guys. Manfred, with all of the different wild flowers that we have around here, I don't pay them near enough attention. I'm finding that even in retirement there's simply not enough time to do it all
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyRFJP View Post
    Extremely beautiful images! I didn't know that about fox tail seed heads. Thanks for pointing out its dangers.
    Randy, the danger is after they dry and the seed pods fall to the ground. They are very light weight, almost like hair, and a dog sniffing the ground where they lay can inhale them deeply into the sinuses. In areas where fox tail grows, incessant sneezing by a dog in fall of the year could be a sign that they've gotten into them.

Dogs really are walking tragedies looking for opportunities to occur

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Dogs really are walking tragedies looking for opportunities to occur
    You sure do have that statement right! But we can't live without our companions! We just keep the economy going around!

Your flower has a beautiful color! And your sidekick is a gorgeous girl! Our foxtail doesn't quite look the same. It has a fatter seed head but now I wonder if the fallen seed pods would cause the same troubles. Fortunately, we don't have much of it except in fence rows or untended farm fields.

Thanks for the pics and the info!

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Yup! Grace is a favourite here -- I sincerely hope that sensitive, sometimes emotional pup has enough room at your new place to move around. No. 1 is a favourite too...as well as #5.

Love the lighting on the flowers and Gracie is beautiful as always. Isn't it so true that we take for granted what we see everyday.