Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Suggestions for older Lenses for Canon DSLR?

Real Name
    Myra

Suggestions for older Lenses for Canon DSLR?

Since joining CinC in March, I’ve been trying to upgrade my camera equipment. So far, I’ve replaced my Rebel xti (gave it to my daughter, actually) with a used Canon 40d and have purchased two used lenses: a Canon 85mm f/1.8 (bought mainly for low light sports in gyms, arenas and rinks but it's almost always on the camera) and a Canon 70-210mm f/4 . It cost just under $150 and replaces the 70-300mm kit lens that will stay with the Rebel. Since both my daughter and I needed a zoom, I figured it couldn't be any worse than the kit lens (it isn't!), the price was low and the reviews were not terrible. There is a nifty fifty in my bag that does not often see the light of day.

Here’s my question: Are there any lenses out there that you could recommend for me to keep an eye out for? The 70-210 was made in 1987, so age is not important as long as it’s compatible with the 40d. The two lens types I would most like to acquire next would be a wide angle (for landscapes and more interesting types of shots) and a longer zoom (for outside sports).

I am kind of kicking myself for not bidding on an older Canon100-300 5.6L as it went for under $300 on ebay a week or so ago. I know buying used is a risk, but I do my best to check out the seller and his or her policies for returns. Paypay also has a bit of protection in their program. When I do see a lens, I check out the excellent review sites people on here have mentioned and check the net for images taken with that lens and my camera.

Now, in a perfect world, I’d be buying new L lenses with IS. Alas...

Thank you!

Myra

Re: Suggestions for older Lenses for Canon DSLR?

Hi Myra,

The Sigma 10-20 is a great lens if you want an ultrawide. Sometimes they can be found used for decent prices. The older version didn't have a constatnt aperture across the zoom range. It is an f4 - 5.6.

The 18-55IS kit lens is also fairly good optically. Build is low end though.

The B&H used store has the older Canon EF-S 17-85IS for $299.

Real Name
    Myra

Thanks, Eric. From what I've read, the Sigma quaility seems to be a bit erratic. The only Sigma I've ever owned, though, was fine. I had it back in the late 80's with my Minolta 7000. Now, it seems that the chances of getting a good copy are a bit hit and miss. Of course, it could be that people who post to review sites may only be the ones with beefs. I will put the 10-20 on my list and keep an eye out.

Thanks again!

Myra

Its kind of funny, but my personal experience has been more Canon L glass with issues than the Sigmas. Of course a dialed in L lens is a thing of beauty and we're talking about a statistically insignificant amount of problem glass. The point is that everyone occasionally makes a lemon.

Most Sigma (higher end) complaints concern AF accuracy. Since the 10-20 is an ultrawide, the AF performance will be much more forgiving than a telephoto lens. Mine is perfect and very sharp.

Real Name
    Myra

Most Sigma (higher end) complaints concern AF accuracy. Since the 10-20 is an ultrawide, the AF performance will be much more forgiving than a telephoto lens.
    See, that's something I didn't take into account. Good point!

Myra
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 30th August 2010 at 08:51 AM.

Hope you find the glass that meets your needs Myra. Whatever you end up with, my prediction is that you are in for some photography fun with your daughter. That is what it is all about!