Focal Point

Focal Point

Split Vision

Focal Point

Re: Focal Point

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    I will do wacky instead
    No one can do it better.

Very good, Steve. Your kids must sigh in exasperation every time you get your camera out! Interesting effect.

Thanks Rob....I think

These two didn't quite get to the door in time. They will have to get wise and use the windows next time they hear the rattle of the old camera bag

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Not so struck on the daughter trio. But son .......!

This helps me see one of your sublime strengths (which I hadn't really identified and stated until now) - your use of the frame and management of space.

I suspect there are very,very few of us (certainly not me) who would have 'seen' that composition with the lad way over on the left and all that 'empty' space on the right. But it's brilliant. Again, something that we can learn from, no matter our particular subject matter and interests.

That should be in one of the portrait threads.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Focal Point
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Not so struck on the daughter trio.
    Donald, why do you always have to be so negative? (groan)

(only kidding)

Steve,

I find the different dark/light effect of left vs right lens on the centre of the trio a little distracting.

Also, I wonder what it would look like (possibly less balanced), if the right image were not a mirror flip of the left one - i.e. if you had taken three pics - just sit her on a rotating chair and spin it - hey now there's an idea; imagine her hair flying out? No I wasn't (initially) thinking of that fast a spin!

Donald has a point about the framing on #2, I wouldn't have thought of it. The other thing I like is the colour in the lenses.

Well done,

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Donald, why do you always have to be so negative? (groan)
    It's the presbyterian upbringing. Don't you know that you're not on this earth to enjoy yourself. You're here to repent for all the sins that you were born with ... and then you die!

Somewhere in the midst of that you try and make good images!

Real Name
    António Correia

Nice Steve ! Very inventive !

I like both

Real Name
    Kevin

I have to agree with the comments about the framing of the second picture, it's fantastic! That was the first thing that jumped out at me. There's a lot of creative use of imbalance there, with the offset framing mirroring the differently sized lenses, both of which add to the wacky feeling of the whole picture.

I suspect there are very,very few of us (certainly not me) who would have 'seen' that composition with the lad way over on the left and all that 'empty' space on the right. But it's brilliant. Again, something that we can learn from, no matter our particular subject matter and interests.
    Donald, I like blank space in images for me it always stimulates the brain to hunt for something that is not there. I think it gives the image more punch when your mind eventually works out the composition. However you are always left with that feeling that someone is looking over your shoulder.

I find the different dark/light effect of left vs right lens on the centre of the trio a little distracting.

Also, I wonder what it would look like (possibly less balanced), if the right image were not a mirror flip of the left one - i.e. if you had taken three pics - just sit her on a rotating chair and spin it - hey now there's an idea; imagine her hair flying out? No I wasn't (initially) thinking of that fast a spin!
    Dave, I couldn't agree more. I did not take the shots of my daughter with the 3 frame composition in mind so I had limited poses to play with. I need to find a way of introducing more colour to the left lens.
    I have to agree with the comments about the framing of the second picture, it's fantastic! That was the first thing that jumped out at me. There's a lot of creative use of imbalance there, with the offset framing mirroring the differently sized lenses, both of which add to the wacky feeling of the whole picture
    Thanks Kevin. I love the surreal characters played by johnny Depp in movies like Sleepy Hollow, Sweeney Todd and Charley and the Chocolate Factory. This shot was particularly inspired by his Willy Wonka character.

Thank you all for your comments

Steve

That should be in one of the portrait threads.
    Donald,

It's not what I would call a portrait in that sense. Its a people pic for sure but the difference being I did not set out to 'paint' the portrait with light. The focal point is not the person but the overall effect....I know what I mean anyway

Steve

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Steve, I see in my absence that you have risen to new heights. That second one just blows my pretty little socks off.

Thanks Kit...I am trying to get back to my original style and got for simplicity again. Not to say that I will not venture into landscapes, portraits and fluffy animals again it was just that the lack of focus was doing my head in.

Steve

Real Name
    Myra

Love your creative photos, Steve. The first one reminds me of the mannequins that are covered in dark brown or black flocked material. Wish I had half your imagination. Your kids must have the coolest facebook profile pictures

Myra

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post
    Love your creative photos, Steve. The first one reminds me of the mannequins that are covered in dark brown or black flocked material. Wish I had half your imagination. Your kids must have the coolest facebook profile pictures

Myra
    Myra

It sounds to me as if you already have half the imagination?

My thoughts too. If you have the kind of mind that allows you to see the un-presented in an image simply practice switching that around and use your random thoughts and imaginings to generate ideas for your images. It gets difficult as I get older since the mind becomes cluttered with mundanity...did I put the wheely bin out, did I put the cat in the fridge and the milk out the back door. I even find myself having to fight through DIY plans and remembering where I put the kids just to get to a small patch of brain that my mind can scribble on. Kids have wonderful imaginations because there brain has more space in which to scribble.

I just read that back and it sounds a bit like B******ks....I know what I mean...I think

Steve

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    I just read that back and it sounds a bit like B******ks....
    To some people it probably does.

Real Name
    Myra

<LOL> OK, I can relate! I tend to think in very abstract terms, but I am very practical. I can multi-task with the best, but then I forget what I was multi-tasking about! I do wish I could "see" creative images and then make them happen. Something to think about... I think some of us lose our abilities to daydream and play inside our brains. It's a shame.

Myra