Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Question on Nikon M42 adapter.

Real Name
    Alexander Vayionis

Question on Nikon M42 adapter.

I do Macro, I own an M42 adapter, I formed the constraction of my rig on it. In the side of the camera it has a glass, i guess this would degrade the quality of my pictures. What if I remove it?
    Is there another way to overcome this problem?

Alex.
    Last edited by AllEx; 21st July 2016 at 12:51 PM.

Real Name
    Robin

Re: Question on Nikon M42 adapter.

Generally the elements in these adaptors are there to maintain infinity focus lost by moving the lens away from the focal plain due to the adaptor depth - I don't see an issue if you remove it for your macro work but you wouldn't be able to get a correctly focused shot of a distant scene should you want to.

Real Name
    Alexander Vayionis

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    but you wouldn't be able to get a correctly focused shot of a distant scene should you want to.
    Thank you Robin.One thing is for sure, that I would never need to do that placing all my gear on my macro rig.

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Hi Alex,

Because Nikon uses a longer register, the added glass is required - tae achieve infinity (allegedly). Ah've never seen (nor read anywhere) of a successful adapter, with glass, for Nikon/M42. They are simple dioptre lenses, usually around +1 - +1.4/6. Even at the smallest apertures, images at infinity and shorter, range from very soft tae unusable. Mebbe make some nice abstracts. Ah have a couple of Fotodiox adapters (not for Nikon). They are good quality and ah know that they make Nikon adapters with removable glass. If ye use an adapter without glass, the lens ye use on Nikons becomes a good macro lens, e.g. many folk buy old FSU lenses, usually Helios 44s, Their 58mm lens focuses tae around 4m. 200mm+ lenses focus around 12-14 metres.

Some lenses will vignette with these adapters, others will lop a bit off the angle of view. Do yer homework before buying, there's a vast amount of information out there...

Without the lens in the adapter, ah think ye'll be happy with the results, remembering that it will only be macro capable. With the lens in the adapter...?
    Last edited by tao2; 21st July 2016 at 09:22 PM.

Real Name
    Alexander Vayionis

Boab thank you for giving me reasons to dive inside the adapters world, I will surely do my search to find a decent one in order to do my job, i`ve already began to do so.
    Additional detail:
    I do macro through microscope objectives, thus my rig is 50 cm long. The focusing helicoid I use serves the role of a tube lens, (in that way it`s extend, with some objectives, controls the magnification ratio, somehow).
    I will definite need a good adapter (a quick search sowed me that it would be tricky to find one for my Nikon)
    Regards,
    Alex.