Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: In memory of Sarah

In memory of Sarah

These were taken the other day at St Martins church, Laugharne in West Wales. It has a fine collection of stained glass windows, and I just love doing stained glass windows. Happy! These are quite easy to do. Set your camera to spot metering, which will avoid blow-outs, and will make the window supports black. In Photoshop you may want to boost the colours slightly and sharpen. Leave plenty of room around the windows as you may need to use lens correction in Photoshop to pull the top towards you as you will be shooting at an angle. Unless of course you have a tilt and shift lens.

All shot with a Panasonic G1 and hand-held.

Slideshow of all shots

The Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary
    In memory of Sarah

In memory of Frederick Weinholt
    In memory of Sarah

In memory of Sarah
    In memory of Sarah

In memory of Sarah (closeup to show colour and detail
    In memory of Sarah

Real Name
    John

Re: In memory of Sarah

Very nice. I tried doing an HDR of stained glass on a sunny day however the tonemapping did nothing for the glass.

Real Name
    Steve

Very sharp; I aint ever seen a stained glass window that sharp. Or straight since they tend to be twenty feet off the ground. I photographed every stained window in Lichfield Cathedral cos I was bored and... not really. I had a VC or to yous canon people IS and wanted to try it out and it is really cool.

In memory of Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Very sharp; I aint ever seen a stained glass window that sharp. Or straight since they tend to be twenty feet off the ground. I photographed every stained window in Lichfield Cathedral cos I was bored and... not really. I had a VC or to yous canon people IS and wanted to try it out and it is really cool.

In memory of Sarah
    Steve#

I think the key to success is to get as high as possible to reduce the angle. I used the G1 hand held, but I did some more today in another church and I used it on the tripod. By flipping the G1 screen out and down you can put the tripod on the highest setting (about 6ft) and used the screen in liveview mode to frame the shot. It also helps to stand as far back as possible to reduce the angle. Whatever I do I always need to use lens correction in CS5 to tilt the shot forward at the top. What you really need is a good step-ladder

Your shot is very colourful. Nice one.

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers Rob, what I need is one of those crane things the BBC use.

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Cheers Rob, what I need is one of those crane things the BBC use.
    Yep, and the crew as well!

This is the one I did yesterday at Ewweny Priory in South Wales. The angle was quite bad when I shot it as the window was high up. But by using lens correction and the transform tool I think it now looks as if I was on the same level. Photoshop is so clever.

Here's the full set as a slideshow http://www.flickr.com/photos/carregw...83066963/show/

In memory of Sarah

Real Name
    Steve

She looks aweful mean on the right. My own BBC crew eh, nah I couldn't put up with the endless coffee and bacon buttie breaks and I wouldn't be taking the pic.

Real Name
    Kay

pardon?...oh for a minute there when you mentioned endless coffee breaks, I thought you said taking the p....
    never mind