Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Question regarding on-camera flash

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Question regarding on-camera flash

Manfred, you are right I shoot a Nikon. If memory serves me correctly the EC on the Nikon system is integrated with the flash. You change the EC on the camera the flash automatically adjusts for the compensation. It seems to me that the Canon system is non-integrated. The EC for the camera, and flash are independent from one another.
    Of course, the way I am batting this evening, I am probably incorrect.

Bruce

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Thanks for the link Terry. I remember it now.

Your flag on the Speedlight is essentially the BFT (Black Foamy Thing) Neil van Niekerk writes about.

I've got to try that one of these days. Where did you source the black foam?
    Someone responded as much in the thread Manfred! A much catchier name than "flag" for sure!

And I got sheets of this material at a Hobby Lobby (Santa's workshop for a studio shooter!) and they are available in different thicknesses. I keep a supply. They have multiple uses and are cheap. Just did a shoot recently where I used a couple of them to clothespin to a strip box to get a shape I wanted. Maybe I should jump back to Donald's studio thread and warn him what to expect about the various odds and ends he is going to end up with!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    Someone responded as much in the thread Manfred! A much catchier name than "flag" for sure!

And I got sheets of this material at a Hobby Lobby (Santa's workshop for a studio shooter!) and they are available in different thicknesses. I keep a supply. They have multiple uses and are cheap. Just did a shoot recently where I used a couple of them to clothespin to a strip box to get a shape I wanted. Maybe I should jump back to Donald's studio thread and warn him what to expect about the various odds and ends he is going to end up with!

Great - thanks, Terry. No Hobby Lobby in this part of the world, so I will check out some of the local craft stores to see if they have something like that.

Yes, Donald is in for a surprise. Improvisation is the key to success. I remember way back when I used a styrofoam cup as a flash diffuser.

Real Name
    Bruce

Carrollton has a Hobby Lobby.

Bruce

Real Name
    Terry

Save yourself some time Bruce and just start an account with them!

Real Name
    Bruce

Save yourself some time Bruce and just start an account with them!

Bruce

Real Name
    Bruce

I experimented with different configurations of bounce tonight. I used both iTTL, and manual modes on my flash. I was consistent with keeping the camera in manual mode. I bounced the flash behind my shoulder, and was somewhat surprised at the results on my subject. I practiced shooting the flash at a wall. Also, I practiced using different zoom configurations, and how the light went from wide coverage to more concentrated as you zoom out, and zoomed in.
    I took Manfred's suggestion, and did a test shot of how much ambient light was in the room. Based on my SS of 1/250 the ambient light did not register. As a result all my subjects were lit by the flash alone.
    When I switched to manual mode on the flash, I was pleasantly surprised how quickly I was able to select the proper exposure. I experimented with changing the power output of the flash without changing the aperture, ISO, and the flash to subject distance.
    All in all it was a good experiment. Like Terry, I do not have a model-that is why I experiment with people at the Senior Citizens Center when they are available.
    I would use my favorite cat as a model; however he "disappears" when I pull out my camera. Richard Crowe suggested that I should teach my cat to read a newspaper, and then he would pose for me. Does anyone know how to teach a cat to read? Suggestions welcome.
    Thanks to Manfred, Kathy, Terry, and Bruce for their comments, and suggestions.

Bruce

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Great - thanks, Terry. No Hobby Lobby in this part of the world, so I will check out some of the local craft stores to see if they have something like that.
    BTW, van Niekerk's video on the BFT demos how he uses it and what size he cuts it.

Like van Niekerk, I get my craft foam at Michael's. It's about a buck a sheet, and I can usually get at least 2 BFTs out of a sheet. I already had a bunch of Goody hair elastics, since I wear my hair in a ponytail most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    ... I bounced the flash behind my shoulder, and was somewhat surprised at the results on my subject...
    Fun, isn't it when it all starts to come together?

... When I switched to manual mode on the flash, I was pleasantly surprised how quickly I was able to select the proper exposure. I experimented with changing the power output of the flash without changing the aperture, ISO, and the flash to subject distance. ...
    Yup. It helps to control the flash power to see what the effects of everything are.

Have fun!
    Last edited by inkista; 17th July 2016 at 06:00 AM.

Real Name
    Bruce

Kathy, thank you for the feedback. It really helps to have someone let you know you are headed in the right direction. I plan to go to Hobby Lobby today to check out their foam in order to make some black foamy things (aka BFT). We do have a Michael's; however it is about a 25 minute drive from here. I use to go to Michael's to have pictures framed; I preferred them over Hobby Lobby.
    Thanks for the post with the video. I plan to view it now.

Bruce

Real Name
    Bruce

Watched the video on the BFT. Very informative.
    Hobby Lobby is closed on Sundays.

Bruce

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

It's like that with many things, Bruce. When you finally get over some of the issues, you wonder why it took you so long to "get it".

Keep on practicing and soon it will become second nature to you. As I said before, the only time I use the iTTL flash is when I am shooting in an environment where I am changing my settings and shooting position with just about every shot. Other than that, manual is so much better.

Real Name
    Bruce

Manfred, thank you for your comments, and your patience with me.

Kathy, in post #50 I forget to add that I know better than to put a subject so close to, in this case, a wall. This shoot was way to hurried for my taste.

Bruce

Real Name
    Bruce

Went to Hobby Lobby today, and purchased some craft foam to make some "Black Foamy Things" (aka BFT).
    I am so happy.

Bruce

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234