Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2016 Project 52, 3rd quarter by Judith Noble (Urbanflyer) C & C desired always

Real Name
    Judith

Re: 2016 Project 52, 3rd quarter by Judith Noble (Urbanflyer) C & C desired always

Week 38--Evening---

I am starting to pry into blending modes. For this week I am posting the original picture (as usual) and the image after post processing using blending modes with a gradient adjustment layer. It is not a matter of making the original better, just making it different. I am likely to stick to exploring blending modes for a while. It appears from the videos I have been watching that there are many different uses for this tool.

Original image

2016 Project 52, 3rd quarter by Judith Noble (Urbanflyer) C & C desired always

Modified image

Last edited by Urbanflyer; 18th September 2016 at 09:01 PM.

Re: 2016 Project 52, 3rd quarter by Judith Noble (Urbanflyer) C & C desired always

That edit has nicely brought out the contrast without being too extreme in either direction.

Real Name
    Joe

Nice result. What did you blend with the original to get the final image?

Real Name
    Judith

First I gave the original image an orange/yellow cast using a color balance adjustment, then applied a gradient layer using multiply blending mode.

Real Name
    Binnur

Nice treatment Judith

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanflyer View Post
    First I gave the original image an orange/yellow cast using a color balance adjustment, then applied a gradient layer using multiply blending mode.
    Nicely done!

Real Name
    Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanflyer View Post
    Week 38--Evening---

I am starting to pry into blending modes. For this week I am posting the original picture (as usual) and the image after post processing using blending modes with a gradient adjustment layer. It is not a matter of making the original better, just making it different. I am likely to stick to exploring blending modes for a while. It appears from the videos I have been watching that there are many different uses for this tool.

Gives much better depth to the pic with the front trunks standing out more, interesting.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 23rd September 2016 at 09:31 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Judith,

Can I ask if you applied the blending mode globally to the image?
    Or if you 'masked' it - applying differing opacities (by brushing) to trunks at different depths 'in' to the forest?

I'm thinking that the latter option might be quite beneficial for this type of shot, not that I use layers and masks like this myself (yet), you are now ahead of me in terms of putting things in to practice.

Dave

Real Name
    Judith

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Can I ask if you applied the blending mode globally to the image?
    Or if you 'masked' it - applying differing opacities (by brushing) to trunks at different depths 'in' to the forest?
    No, I applied the blending mode globally. The gradient layer provided enough variation to get the image I wanted. I did change the opacity of the gradient a small amount--again globally..
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 23rd September 2016 at 07:02 PM. Reason: extract reply from quote

Real Name
    Judith

Week 39--White Flowers

I continue to experiment with blending modes in Photoshop. For this week I have gone artsy. The two images below were combined using the pin light blending mode. While I am learning to predict the affect of some of the blending modes, this one eludes me so I am continuing to experiment with it.

Original images

bottom layer

top layer

Final image

C & C always welcome

Real Name
    Binnur

Interesting effect Judith. Besides I really like the top layer on its own

Is the blue edging to the petals deliberate or accidental?

Real Name
    Judith

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Interesting effect Judith. Besides I really like the top layer on its own
    I did too. I needed and image that was clearly light on dark to experiment with this particular blending mode and this one fit the bill.

Thanks for your comment

Real Name
    Judith

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Is the blue edging to the petals deliberate or accidental?
    It is a function of the blending mode. I could have removed it but chose to leave it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345