Thread: Fast Pitch Softball (C&C welcomed)

Real Name
    Kim

Fast Pitch Softball (C&C welcomed)

This past weekend, I attended my first fast pitch girls softball game, or any softball game for that matter. A daughter of one of the State Troopers who has been so kind since my brother's passing was playing. I wanted to thank him for all he has done for us, so I told him I would photograph his daughter (he is also the coach), as I knew it something his household budget does not include and that he would greatly appreciate. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the game, it was fast paced and very enjoyable to watch. Yes, the lighting was brutally harsh, but I do believe the lighting bootcamp I attended helped me to think about what I needed to do to make them as good as possible.

Here's a couple:

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Fast Pitch Softball (C&C welcomed)

Consider setting up a photo session late or early in the day with the pitcher and a catcher so the pitcher has someone to pitch to. For an idea about that, Google Annie Liebovitz's photos of female baseball pitcher Ila Borders.

Real Name
    Kim

Oh my! You Mr. Buckley just gave me a huge inspiration!!! How awesome! Thank you so much Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Consider setting up a photo session late or early in the day with the pitcher and a catcher so the pitcher has someone to pitch to. For an idea about that, Google Annie Liebovitz's photos of female baseball pitcher Ila Borders.

Real Name
    John

Nice action shots.

Real Name
    Bruce

Kim, very nice.

Bruce

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Very good for a first timer to this kind of sport shoot, Kim. I'd really like to know what you were thinking when you said what you need to do before you took the shots. In action sport shoots, real time, I do not think I can think with my feet. You did very well here.

Real Name
    Lew Lorton

Pros:
    In general, if you are new at this, these pictures are great for several reasons; you've got decent exposure under tough conditions, sharpness looks good,
    you haven't uploaded a zillion not so good pictures, you've kept the show to your best ones
    most important of all, you've caught the 'moment', the point where something is happening.

Cons:
    It is always nicer to have a face included so, where there's a right hand pitcher, shoot a bit from the 3d base side.
    In both of these, the on-field action looks great but the backgrand is a bit distracting. Dulling the background would eliminate a lot of the distractions.
    Except for very general comments it's very difficult to say anything about such small pictures. Perhaps you could use the Upload button at the bottom of any post to upload images at least twice this size.

IMO, nicely done.

Lew

Real Name
    Kim

Thank you John and Bruce for commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice action shots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Kim, very nice.

Bruce

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks for commenting Izzie. As to my thoughts, in harsh conditions such as this, my first thought is where should I position myself so I can best deal with the conditions as well as, get the angles I would like. Next, I like to anticipate the plays, so I can get the shots I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Very good for a first timer to this kind of sport shoot, Kim. I'd really like to know what you were thinking when you said what you need to do before you took the shots. In action sport shoots, real time, I do not think I can think with my feet. You did very well here.

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks for sharing pros and cons Lew - I appreciate the cons as that's where I think, and from which growth comes.

Yes, this was my first time shooting any type of sports. I do shoot police K9s, which are fast, but this was MUCH faster!

I was trying to figure out the best place to be, so appreciate the 3rd base tip for the right hander. I was on the 3rd base side, and thought I found the perfect spot, until I got hit with a ball, and then a second one almost got me. That made it time to move. I also agree about the background.

The one thing I found a little frustrating was - I really wanted to get some straight on pitching images, but I had to shoot thru the chain link fencing which I did, but I got varying results. In some images you can tell I was shooting thru a fence, but in others, it just cast a faint fog like imprint of the fence on the image. My settings were the same, so I'm thinking it's tied to how close the end of my lens was to the fence. I usually experiment when I go on outings such as this, as I'm a learn by doing person.

I usually don't load super small pictures. Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by thetraveler View Post
    Pros:
    In general, if you are new at this, these pictures are great for several reasons; you've got decent exposure under tough conditions, sharpness looks good,
    you haven't uploaded a zillion not so good pictures, you've kept the show to your best ones
    most important of all, you've caught the 'moment', the point where something is happening.

Cons:
    It is always nicer to have a face included so, where there's a right hand pitcher, shoot a bit from the 3d base side.
    In both of these, the on-field action looks great but the backgrand is a bit distracting. Dulling the background would eliminate a lot of the distractions.
    Except for very general comments it's very difficult to say anything about such small pictures. Perhaps you could use the Upload button at the bottom of any post to upload images at least twice this size.

IMO, nicely done.

Lew

Real Name
    John

These are well caught Kim. Action beautifully presented without resorting to deliberate blur.

Real Name
    Lew Lorton

Quote Originally Posted by KimC View Post
    I was trying to figure out the best place to be, so appreciate the 3rd base tip for the right hander. I was on the 3rd base side, and thought I found the perfect spot, until I got hit with a ball, and then a second one almost got me. That made it time to move. I also agree about the background.
    Wear a batters helmet and sacrifice for your art.

The one thing I found a little frustrating was - I really wanted to get some straight on pitching images, but I had to shoot thru the chain link fencing which I did, but I got varying results. In some images you can tell I was shooting thru a fence, but in others, it just cast a faint fog like imprint of the fence on the image. My settings were the same, so I'm thinking it's tied to how close the end of my lens was to the fence. I usually experiment when I go on outings such as this, as I'm a learn by doing person.
    yes, it's how close you are to the fence. If the fence isn't too high, you can get up in the stands with a very long lens and you'll get teh pitcher at least.

I've shot a lot of kids soccer and I ran around the field a lot. I would set up for certain shots (shooting 'game' pictures), get those and then try to get the specific individual players in action.
    It's a lot about learning where to be for each sport and for each player.

Like street photography, you need to understand how things develop, then be ready and in position.

This below ended up as a huge poster on the wall of the boy at the right third.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I really wanted to get some straight on pitching images, but I had to shoot thru the chain link fencing
    You have surely already realized that you can eliminate that restriction by setting up a photo session just with the pitcher and catcher.

Real Name
    Kim

Wear a batters helmet and sacrifice for your art.
    As long as it doesn't come near my gear, I'm fine :-)

yes, it's how close you are to the fence. If the fence isn't too high, you can get up in the stands with a very long lens and you'll get teh pitcher at least.

I've shot a lot of kids soccer and I ran around the field a lot. I would set up for certain shots (shooting 'game' pictures), get those and then try to get the specific individual players in action.
    It's a lot about learning where to be for each sport and for each player.

Like street photography, you need to understand how things develop, then be ready and in position.

This below ended up as a huge poster on the wall of the boy at the right third.
    Thanks for confirming it was the closeness of the lens to the fence. Fence was much too high, and surprisingly there were no stands. Yes, understanding the game and how things might develop is key. After awhile, I was anticipating plays. I want to go back, as I really enjoyed it.

I'm sure the boy loved the image you made for him.

Real Name
    Kim

Thank you John.

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    These are well caught Kim. Action beautifully presented without resorting to deliberate blur.

Real Name
    Kim

You bet Mike. Thanks to the inspiration you provided, I already set-up a session w/her Dad for August.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    You have surely already realized that you can eliminate that restriction by setting up a photo session just with the pitcher and catcher.

Real Name
    Lew Lorton

Kim was nice enough to send me a large jpeg of #2 so I could play with it. He was concerned about the players looking 'pasted' on a background

My edits were:

Cropping to make subject bigger in frame and remove excess surroundings and bright sky.
    Now the catcher's eyes are much more prominent.
    Slightly darkened background.
    Also burnt down other player's shirt to increase color.

Real Name
    Lew Lorton

I also took out that yellow cover on the wire and that cleaned up the composition a good deal.

(Both of these look a lot better in Lytebox)

Thanks to Kim for leeting me edit and post these.

Real Name
    Matt

Great shots Kim!

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Great shots Kim!