Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Country Store (then and now)

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Old Country Store (then and now)

I did not see Ralph today so there is nothing new from that direction. Did call the Carroll Co. Historical Society. Their website indicates that they are open on Wednesdays only. I received no answer. Maybe they only answer the phone when they are closed.

Bruce (Sleuth)

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Still here...'was reading about Skala Brae from Scotland yesterday. 'Found it interesting too. Carollton is far from the sea so that place is safe for a long time unless the owner/s decided it did not want to continue with the "renovation".

http://www.orkneyjar.com/history/skarabrae/

Real Name
    Bruce

I have been hanging around the old homestead the last three days, so I have not done much research. Did call the Carroll Co. Historical Society again today. No answer again. I wonder where the Historical Society is when history is being made. I can tell you that they are not at their phones.
    Hoping to hear from the grandson this coming week, if indeed he was out of town. If I do not hear from him, I will try another approach.

Bruce (semi-retired Sleuth)

Real Name
    Izzie

Do you have the address of the Hysterical Society. Maybe you should do a research about them too? Just a suggestion...I can understand that situation you are going through with the society. Organizations like that are populated by people who are volunteers and so they come and go when it suits them. The office is not usually manned but the administrator usually have a business nearby. What the society has is a store front, if you know what I mean...go 'downtown' and ask. I will if I were you...

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Do you have the address of the Hysterical Society.
    That made me laugh, but not 'historically'

Real Name
    Bruce

The Carroll Co. Historical Society only gets hysterical when it finds something historical.

Bruce ("The" Sleuth)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Still here...'was reading about Skala Brae from Scotland yesterday.
    Skara Brae is an amazing place. A housing complex that was there 2000 years before the temples of Egypt were built.

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Skara Brae is an amazing place. A housing complex that was there 2000 years before the temples of Egypt were built.
    Thanks Donald...so I gathered. I just hope it will be preserved and protected by your society over there too before it joins Atlantis at the bottom of the ocean.

Real Name
    Bruce

Well, I have good news, and bad news. The bad news is not all that bad: did not see the brother-in-law (Ralph) nor have I heard from the grandson.
    However, while seated at my favorite table today I noticed a newspaper on the table. From my brief glance at it, the paper appeared to be the type that advertised items someone wanted to sell, and also merchants could advertise for their services, or for goods to sell. I did not pay much attention to it at first since the front page was facing me, and it had advertisements all over it.
    After fiddling with my day planner, and writing some notes concerning my research on the old store, by chance and out of curiosity I started to read the newspaper. What I noticed that it was free since it had the word Free written on the front page. I opened the paper up, and discovered a lot of historical research on various communities in the Carroll Co. area, including several articles pertaining to the Civil War; These articles dealt with how activities of both the North, and South impacted various communities during that war. Needless to say I am a Civil War buff or as people from the South call it the War of Northern Aggression - Mike Buckley you could possibly relate to that. The newspaper also dealt with the history of various communities, and the persons who founded them. This particular newspaper covered the counties of Carroll Co., where Carrollton is located, the county of Coweta - Newnan is in this county; a city 22 miles southeast of Carrollton. It is a bedroom community of Atlanta, and finally Harralson Co. - home of the city of Bremen, a town about 12 miles to the north of Carrollton, and this town is just west of Temple, Ga. There were some photographs of local historic places in the paper.
    The newspaper is called "The Historical News". It is published by a company calling itself Southern Historical News, Inc. It apparently is a monthly newspaper, and the paper I had gotten hold of was the July edition.
    I appreciate your patience in reading all of this since I am about to tell you that I called the home office of this paper, and asked a very nice lady if their paper had any information about the Old Country Store; she asked about what "community" the store was located in. I told her I would get back in touch with her. Later this afternoon, I called her back, and informed her that the old store was not in a "community" as such since it is located in an area primarily surrounded by farmland. This makes sense since the store is not near a post office, funeral parlor, church, or pub (for my UK readers). Up the road towards Temple is a school, and some churches; however the store is not so close to them as to warrant it being identified with a particular community. The nice lady related she would do some research, and get back in touch with me.

Digital (now reinstated "Excellent Sleuth")

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Needless to say I am a Civil War buff or as people from the South call it the War of Northern Aggression - Mike Buckley you could possibly relate to that.
    Coincidentally, a good friend commented to me just earlier this week that she didn't understand how the Civil War came to be so-named considering that a civil war is an oxymoron.

The war apparently had many names, at least as indicated by the following excerpt from Wikipedia:

The most common name in modern American usage is simply the "Civil War". Although used rarely during the war, the term "War Between the States" became widespread afterward in the Southern United States. During and immediately after the war, Union forces often used the term "War of the Rebellion" or the "Great Rebellion", while the Confederate equivalent was "War for Southern Independence". The latter regained some currency in the late 20th century, but has again fallen out of use. Other terms often reflect a more partisan view of events, such as the "War of Northern Aggression", used by some Southerners, or the "War of Southern Aggression". The "Freedom War" is used to celebrate the effect the war had on ending slavery. In several European languages, the war is called "War of Secession".

Notice the names, War of Southern Aggression and War of Northern Aggression. Politics was apparently the same back then as today.

Real Name
    Izzie

Interesting reading from you both. I am glad you finally found a partner in your sleuthing, Bruce. Will be interested in knowing where this one will take you...and Mike, I was reading the 100 questions in the Civic test a person 'must know' and some of the questions relates to the War of the States and needless to say, the Civil War, ending of slavery, etc. Out came some history books when I asked Bill about it...He is a history buff too and knows every page of his history books. I guess most Americans are, haven't met one who isn't or am I just that lucky?

Real Name
    Bruce

Tonight I talked to a long time resident of Carroll Co. who informed me that he used to stop at the old country store back in the 70's. He used to go there for a soft drink, and crackers. While there he would talk to the owner of the store. This source stated that at that time the owner was very elderly. Later, I asked him how old he thought the owner was. He did not want to take a guess. He did state that he (the source) was in his twenties at that time. If my memory serves me correctly, when I was that age I thought people in their thirties were old.
    My source did add that the store had gas pumps; however they were no longer in service at the time of his visits; he did not know when the store went out of business since, by the time it closed, he had moved to Atlanta.
    In conclusion, he told me of a family business that operates down the road from the store that would be able to fill me on some history of this store. He seemed positive that I could find some information from them. He supplied me with the last name of the owner of this business. As a side note, this business is located on the road that runs beside the store.
    I am expanding my base of sources since I am beginning to doubt whether I will hear from the grandson. I may hear from him; however he may have decided not to give me any further information about his grandfather's store.
    You all have been very patient with me. I can only hope that I don't disappoint you.

Bruce (Sleuth)

You're doing a great job. Keep trying and you may eventually fill in the blank spaces.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    You're doing a great job. Keep trying and you may eventually fill in the blank spaces.
    Thanks Mike. Your words of encouragement mean a lot to me.

Bruce

Real Name
    Izzie

Keep going until you decided you've had enough. You had embarked on a good story there and I find it interesting that the relations do not even have the time to stop and talk to you. They would have been good leads but it seems that they do not want you to know what happened. Could it be a painful experience to the owner?

Bruce being a short person, when I was young everyone who was taller than my shoulders, I consider as 'old'. You know the sort who bullies and say 'Don't mess with me, I am taller than you!' like as it it makes a difference I would say 'Don't mess with me, I can ran faster than you...'

Real Name
    Bruce

Some interesting developments occurred today. I was having my vehicle's oil checked today at a place that is not very far from the store that I have been researching. I frequent this auto garage, and so they know me. I asked one of the service managers about the store. He informed me that a good place to start would be on the road that runs beside the store because one or more of the grandchildren live on this road. Also, as mentioned in post #92 there are other persons who can possibly provide information that live on this same road. Also, I asked the service manager why the recent renovations to the store were made. What he related to me was not in line with what I heard earlier from what I consider a reliable source . It is beginning to dawn on this thickheaded writer that the key to this whole story is to be found from the persons who live on this road.
    This has become quite clear since several persons have pointed me in this same direction.
    Now I am going to change direction: however I will attempt to tie this all together by the end of this post.
    After I had my vehicle serviced, I went to the Senior Citizens Center in Carrollton. My usual weekly jaunt. Later this morning I saw the grandson's brother-in-law (Ralph). He looked stressed. When I asked him what was wrong, he related that a member of his family had health issues. To Ralph's credit, and even in his stress he asked me if I had heard from his brother-in-law. I told him no. At this point Ralph indicated that there may be some reluctance to give me further information because of some questions about my motivation in this whole endeavor. In an earlier post, I had emailed the link to CiC to the grandson, and encouraged him to visit this site so he could see for himself what I was up to. Also, I had emailed Ralph the CiC address so he could also see what I was doing. When asked about whether he had tried to visit the website, Ralph related he had via the link I had sent him. He was unable to access the website. I told him that when I do mail an email with a web address, I always check it from my end before I send it- it was checked again today, and it worked. As an aside I always save all my emails that I send.
    I asked Ralph if he wanted to have me send him the web address again. He declined, relating he would try again. Because Ralph's personal crisis fars outweighs this endeavor, I am not going to ask Ralph for anymore assistance until his current situation resolves itself. In other words, he will have to initiate any assistance-it will not come from my end.
    In this regard, I think sticking with Ralph is my best option. There are several reasons for this: Ralph knows me. I firmly believe that Ralph knows my intent is simply to share the history of this store, and not for some secret agenda. Secondly his brother-in-law is one of the grandsons of the original owner who I firmly believe can give me the information I seek or point me to someone who can. In other words, Ralph can hopefully vouch for me so the brother-in-law and/or other relatives feel comfortable in sharing the history of the store with me. That is why I wanted them both to visit the CiC website.
    Now to tie this to the people who live on said road. Although not technically a community, I bet my bottom dollar the people on this road know each other whether they be related or not. If I am viewed with suspicion by the grandson, and the other party I contacted (refer to post #52) how would these people react if I just showed up one day, and started asking questions about the history of the store. I am not a author and/or a journalist. Maybe it is my definite lack of experience, but it is hard (I believe) to tell people that I want this information to share with fellow photographers from around the world. If I were in their shoes I might be a little reluctant also. It is possible that I may have more credence if I was actually an author and/or journalist. Do not get me wrong, I believe that CiC is top notch or else I would not be a member. This is one of the reasons I so wanted the grandson, and Ralph to view this website to actually see for themselves what CiC is, and my role in it.
    Thanks for reading this. As I have said before, I will continue to soldier on

Bruce
    Last edited by Digital; 29th July 2016 at 02:20 AM.

Real Name
    Izzie

Well! at last! something positive is coming your way, our way...thank you for not giving up. History is as history was. There must be better light soon. Keep it up. That is one good property at that corner too. I wonder if there are ghosts there too, not just ghosts of the past? Or someone died or was killed? The drama is getting thick -- so many questions...soldier on, Mr. Sleuth!

My guess is that from the point of view of people being questioned, sometimes they're more willing to open up because a pro is questioning them and other times they're more willing because merely an interested person such as yourself is questioning them.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I must admit I find this reluctance to share with you a bit strange. In this part of the world anyone who went to the trouble of restoring a building would be more than happy to share why, and the family history from the day their ancestors crawled from the primordial ooze.

Real Name
    Bruce

Side Road #11
    Old Country Store (then and now)

This is the side road that runs beside the old country store. It is pretty well traveled. The view is facing east. The old store was to my left when this pic was taken.

Intersection #11
    Old Country Store (then and now)

This is the intersection where the old store stands-where the side road, and the road to Temple, Ga. meet. It is well traveled. The view is facing north.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast