Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Country Store (then and now)

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Old Country Store (then and now)

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    OK...I will be patient...You got 2 hours today, Bruce, OK? Mr. Sleuth. We need answers. ha!
    Izzie, it is with great sadness that I have to report that I (Mr. Sleuth) did not get to meet with the gentlemen in question today either. Maybe tomorrow.
    On a more positive note, if I do not see him tomorrow, or the first of next week, a different approach to uncovering the facts of this story will be made.

Bruce (aka Mr. Sleuth)

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Like for instance, it is fated that you are not supposed to know the real story...don't give up yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Izzie, it is with great sadness that I have to report that I (Mr. Sleuth) did not get to meet with the gentlemen in question today either. Maybe tomorrow.
    On a more positive note, if I do not see him tomorrow, or the first of next week, a different approach to uncovering the facts of this story will be made.

Bruce (aka Mr. Sleuth)

Real Name
    Bruce

Like for instance, it is fated that you are not supposed to know the real story...don't give up yet...
    Izzie, I will uncover the facts of this story or else...
    I have no idea what comes after "else". Do not fret, Mr. Sleuth is still on the case.
    Why am I telling you this. The gentlemen I want to talk to may be on vacation.

Bruce (Mr. Sleuth)

Real Name
    Izzie

I will wait, OK...And so will Dave and others. At the moment they are waiting too -- quietly.

Real Name
    Bruce

OK all of you who have been awaiting the conclusion of this thread, I have some good news, and bad news. First, the bad news: I did meet with the gentlemen in question today. I asked him if he could sit down with me, and give me a history of the store. He related that I would better be served by talking to the original owners' granddaughter. He gave me her name, and the location of her home (good news). He did state that the granddaughter was responsible for the recent repairs on the store. This is also good news. I would say the good news outweighs the bad news by 2:1.
    Now I will track down the granddaughter

Bruce (Mr. Sleuth)

Real Name
    Izzie

We are still waiting....Take your time...we'll keep busy while you sleuth around, Sir....Mr. Sleuth, sir!! Let us hope she is not on her summer's holiday.

OK all of you who have been awaiting the conclusion of this thread, I have some good news, and bad news. First, the bad news: I did meet with the gentlemen in question today. I asked him if he could sit down with me, and give me a history of the store. He related that I would better be served by talking to the original owners' granddaughter. He gave me her name, and the location of her home (good news). He did state that the granddaughter was responsible for the recent repairs on the store. This is also good news. I would say the good news outweighs the bad news by 2:1.
    Now I will track down the granddaughter

Bruce (Mr. Sleuth)
    Last edited by IzzieK; 13th July 2016 at 07:35 AM.

Real Name
    Bruce

Attempted to contact the granddaughter today. Tried the directory of assistance. Had no listing for the name I was seeking. Then tried the phone book (how is that for a novel idea), no luck there. Spoke to the gentlemen who gave me the granddaughter's name. He supplied me with a man's name. Since Mr. Sleuth did not ask, I have no answer to what relation (if any) the man has to the original owner of the store. Well for what it is worth the ratio of good news to bad news today is: 1:1.
    This investigation has left me tired, frustrated, broke, and discouraged. However my readers (all 2 of them - Dave, and Izzie), deserve my best effort. So I will soldier on.

Bruce (?)

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Add me to the list of the inquisitive. I had wanted to post earlier that I was fascinated that someone would go to the trouble to restore the building. The original post with the old store dilapidated was interesting. This adds a whole new level. I am even more puzzled that in a small town, where you cannot could buy a new truck and not have it noticed, someone could restore a building and not have everyone for miles ferret out the whole story. Ask the first nosy old farmer you see, they probably know.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

However my readers (all 2 of them - Dave, and Izzie), deserve my best effort. So I will soldier on.
    I'm also patiently waiting.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    Add me to the list of the inquisitive. I had wanted to post earlier that I was fascinated that someone would go to the trouble to restore the building. The original post with the old store dilapidated was interesting. This adds a whole new level. I am even more puzzled that in a small town, where you cannot could buy a new truck and not have it noticed, someone could restore a building and not have everyone for miles ferret out the whole story. Ask the first nosy old farmer you see, they probably know.
    Trevor, thank you for your post, and kind comments. I agree with you that in a small town that, it would seem, I would not have much difficulty in finding the facts in this case. Carrollton is a city approximately a hour drive (or little less depending on traffic) from Atlanta. Relatively speaking one may consider (as I do) that it is a small town: however its population is approximately 22,000. Carrollton also is home to the University of West Georgia, hence we are a college town.
    Your suggestion of finding a nosy old farmer is a good one; however I do not know any farmers, let alone any nosy ones. My day is spent with senior citizens, and I have yet to find a farmer among them.
    Rest assured that I will add you to the list of readers to this thread.

Bruce (Mr. Sleuth)

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I'm also patiently waiting.
    Mike, do not fret, I will add you to my list of inquisitive (to use Trevor's term) readers of this thread. The subscription rate is going through the roof.
    I have good news: have been able to secure a phone number of the gentlemen I found about yesterday. Since it is around dinner time or supper time (whatever you want to call it) here. It is 6:15 p.m. ESDT now, so I will attempt to contact him at around 7:00 p.m. He apparently lives just down the road from where the store is located.
    Will keep you posted.

Bruce (Mr. Sleuth)

Real Name
    Bruce

Here is an update. I did call the phone number that I had received. A woman answered the phone. She related that the gentlemen I was inquiry about resided next door. She was not very forthcoming; however she did state her last name was the same as the man I was trying to contact. I did not ask her relation (if any) to the same person, but my guess would be daughter or daughter-in-law.
    I informed her that I was a freelance photographer, and was trying to obtain the history of the store. I assured her that I was not trying to sell anybody anything. I tried dropping the name of a well known businessman in Carrollton, that I play pool with.
    I gave the name of the person who initially gave me the name of the granddaughter of the original owner. She related that she did not know this particular gentlemen. She was informed of the fact that I had taken photos of the store 3 years ago, and then this year, and that I would be glad to show them to anybody she would put me in contact with. She did not respond when I gave her the name of the granddaughter. She seemed unfazed about my inquiries.
    Finally, she related that I needed to talk to a relative of the storeowner's family. Nearly fell off my chair agreeing with her. She stated she did not want to give out anyone's phone number. Almost fell out of my chair again telling her that I was in total agreement with her. In this woman's defense she did not know me from Adam. As far as she was concerned I may have been a photographer - a deranged one. On second thought let's not go there.
    She took my name, and phone number, and related she would pass it on to a relative.
    This was around 7:00 p.m., and it is now 11:14 p.m. I have not heard a word.
    Will give it a few days, and see about a different approach in uncovering this story. As an aside there maybe a story within this story- why I am having so much trouble uncovering the facts of this case. One possible reason is that I never took a course in journalism in my life. My graduate courses were in counseling - people are suppose to feel comfortable in confiding in me. So far not in this case.

Bruce (Mr. Sleuth)

Real Name
    Izzie

Thank you for the update...this story is becoming as interesting as an Alfred Hitchcock series...I hope you also look at the hut at the back of this place...must be more to it than meets the eyes. Waiting....

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you for the update...this story is becoming as interesting as an Alfred Hitchcock series...
    Absolutely. I'm now on the subscription list. What a potentially fascinating story is evolving here. There's also the possibility of a pictorial story book coming out of here is those counselling skills can be used to build confidence that enables people to feel comfortable being photographed as part of the story.

Looking forward to the next update.
    Last edited by Donald; 14th July 2016 at 08:42 AM.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Relatively speaking one may consider (as I do) that it is a small town: however its population is approximately 22,000.
    There lies your problem. I would consider Carrolton a major centre by rural Canadian standards. North Battleford, Saskatchewan is about 11,000 and it is the regional centre for a huge area. A small town would be Turtleford, about 500 people.

In a town of about 500 people or less everyone knows everyone else and pretty much everything about every aspect of the town. This would be a major topic of conversation. If someone was renovating a store in Turtleford I doubt they could get much past sweeping the floor before the rumours started.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    If someone was renovating a store in Turtleford I doubt they could get much past sweeping the floor before the rumours started.
    There's something reassuring in knowing that we're pretty much the same all over the world. Welcome to Glenfarg!!

Real Name
    Bruce

Izzie, Donald, and Trevor thank you for commenting. In post #36 I informed you that I had talked to a gentlemen, who we will call Ralph (not his real name). Ralph, and I play pool together. I mentioned in the post (#36), that Ralph gave me the name of a gentlemen who was related to the family of the original owner of the store. This eventually led to last night's conversation (post #52) with the woman who related she would pass my phone number to a relative who in turn may contact me - well, as of this writing this has not happened.
    Today, I told Ralph of my frustrations in obtaining adequate information about this store. Ralph had earlier told me that his brother-in-law was one of the grandchildren of the original owner. This grandson was married to Ralph's sister. Now, you readers may ask - why didn't Mr. Sleuth follow this trail when he first learned of this fact. At the time, Ralph did not offer any contact information for his brother-in-law, and not being a trained journalist I did not press him on his revelation. Instead, as you well know, old Mr. Sleuth followed a different path. One, so far has been a DEAD end, and I mean DEAD. Which brings me to the point of this digression - Ralph today supplied me with a phone number, and his sister's name. I already knew the grandson's name (from my original conversation with Ralph-post #36).
    Have I put you all to sleep and/or confused you - I am easily confused. I may not be stupid, however I have really bad luck when it comes to thinking.
    Tonight at approximately 7:00 p.m. (my time), I plan to contact Ralph's brother-in-law via phone, and hopefully will learn something regarding the history of this store. Regardless, I will pass what I learn on to you faithful readers.

Bruce (Mr. Sleuth)

Real Name
    Bruce

I believe I have found a good source. As promised I phoned Ralph's brother-in-law's residence. His wife (Ralph's sister) answered the phone. I explained who I was, and what I needed. Once she found out that I knew her brother, she was very forthcoming. She gave me some information about the store, as well as the first names of the man, and wife who owned the store. At this point I need to bring up the issue of names. In one post I mentioned the last name of the owner of this grocery; however until I get permission from one or more of his grandchildren, I will refrain from using real names. With permission, I would like to give my readers (all 5 of them), the first names of the man, and wife who operated the store. Maybe list the names of their children (who I believe are all now deceased). Listing the names of the grandchildren, I believe would not be necessary with maybe the exception of the grandchild who initiated the recent renovations of the store.
    Speaking of the renovations, I believe I now know for what purpose these repairs were made. I want to speak with the grandson to pin this down (incidentally, he was not in when I called) before I give you the details. Also, I may know what the shed behind the store was called, and what it was used for.
    You all may, at this point want to lynch me. Please be patient.
    Tonight of all nights my trusty cell phone (I do not have a land line anymore) battery decided it needed to be recharged so I was not able to speak to the grandson. However, I ended the conversation with his wife by informing her that tomorrow night I would call again or her husband could call me.
    I supplied the wife with CiC's web address in case they wanted to view what had transpired, and the comments that were made.
    Also, I emailed her the two pics that I had originally posted on this thread. She seemed excited by the fact that I was sending her these photos.
    Finally, this Saturday I plan to photograph the structure behind the store. Once I do this, I will post the pic on this thread for you all to view.
    Thanks for reading, and your patience.

Bruce (Mr. Sleuth)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

You all may, at this point want to lynch me. Please be patient.
    We are. We're hanging in there to read the concluding chapter, when it's all brought together and we find out 'who done it'!

Real Name
    Izzie

Now the story is getting thin (as opposed to the plot getting thick...I do not know how to say it properly. ) But is exciting with the almost play-by-play happening. Maybe you will learn how to be a good journalist instead of a 'head' quack (counselor?)...once you get to the end of this story...

Oh btw,you forgot to mention Mike...he is very disappointed you did not include him...he is reading your story too...

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast