Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working Man Hands (C&C welcome)

Real Name
    Kim

Working Man Hands (C&C welcome)

I had an opportunity to photograph a blacksmith at work recently, and this is my artistic interpretation of "part" of the process. I have a lot of respect for blacksmiths - it's a backbreaking and risky job.

Working Man Hands  (C&C welcome)

#2 - I liked the movement in the hands on this image

#3 - The shoe is red in this image as it was heated with fire -- it doesn't hurt the horse and it helps set the shoe.

Re: Working Man Hands (C&C welcome)

Kim these are all great shots but I think, for a shot that really captures a moment it has to be #3. The cherry red shoe, the smoke just pouring off of the hoof (and that rather distinct smell), it all just perfectly renders a timeless process. After #3 I would go with #1 for the capture of working hands.

I agree this is a hazardous occupation, I don't think there's a farrier alive who hasn't been cow kicked at least once. I think being stepped on is just a daily occurrence. It appears to me that you got the lighting, focus and composition all wrapped up, great images all three.

Real Name
    Tony Watts

These certainly are lovely shots. They remind of my childhood long ago when I would watch the blacksmith in action just like that. The ones I remember would make the shoes starting with an iron bar. Later, they used ready formed shoes.

I also remember being kicked in the stomach by a foal. It was a bit of a pet but got spooked by a lot of people around. It certainly hurt but did not do any serious damage.

Real Name
    John

Nice series.

Real Name
    Ole

Kim, the first shot is showing hard working hands the third shot is my pick, good use of low shutter speed to capture the smoke really make it.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Greg

That 3rd shot is outstanding, Kim. Good set.

Real Name
    Dean

Beautiful work, Kim. The third shot is stunning.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Fascinating series made very well in a difficult lighting situation.

I realize the light has changed a bit by the time you captured the last one, but if you could get the overall look of the rich tonalities and mid-tone contrast of the first two images in the third one so it pops just as much, it would be nothing short of magical in my mind.

Real Name
    Binnur

Very nice set Kim

Real Name
    Kim

Thank you to all who took the time to comment - always appreciated.

Real Name
    Kim

100% agree Mike - I was hoping for the same tones in the 3rd as well. Perhaps I'll give it another try, as today is a different day ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Fascinating series made very well in a difficult lighting situation.

I realize the light has changed a bit by the time you captured the last one, but if you could get the overall look of the rich tonalities and mid-tone contrast of the first two images in the third one so it pops just as much, it would be nothing short of magical in my mind.

Real Name
    John

That's a great set Kim. Like everyone else, no.3 is a stand out for me as well.

Real Name
    Kim

Thank you for taking the time to comment John.

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    That's a great set Kim. Like everyone else, no.3 is a stand out for me as well.

Real Name
    buy me a drink first.

The framing is nice, but the colour treatment detracts from the impact of the scene. Blacksmith's hands = honest simplicity; unsuited to an over-emphasised colourisation.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Sorry to have missed this post as I have been away on one of our summer/fall trips. The series is very good, Kim. My favourite is the last one. You got the lighting right and the smoke and if you did not explained the process I would have pity the horse.

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks for commenting Izzie. I figured some people would be concerned, so that's why I explained it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Sorry to have missed this post as I have been away on one of our summer/fall trips. The series is very good, Kim. My favourite is the last one. You got the lighting right and the smoke and if you did not explained the process I would have pity the horse.

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks for commenting Steve. I'm a little unclear about your comment -- I went back this morning to see what I did to the images and I didn't increase saturation, I actually did very little to them with the exception of pulling back highlights, lifting shadows slightly. The blacksmith, in real life, is a very rich golden brown color.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Steve View Post
    The framing is nice, but the colour treatment detracts from the impact of the scene. Blacksmith's hands = honest simplicity; unsuited to an over-emphasised colourisation.

Real Name
    buy me a drink first.

Quote Originally Posted by KimC View Post
    Thanks for commenting Steve. I'm a little unclear about your comment -- I went back this morning to see what I did to the images and I didn't increase saturation, I actually did very little to them with the exception of pulling back highlights, lifting shadows slightly. The blacksmith, in real life, is a very rich golden brown color.
    Oh really? Maybe it's my eyes, or being used to the colour palate of a different camera brand or something, but to me the colour seems a bit weird, maybe a touch orange. I do tend to think best in mono, so I wouldn't worry about it!

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks Steve. With the summer sun, his skin does get a bit orangish/golden/brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Steve View Post
    Oh really? Maybe it's my eyes, or being used to the colour palate of a different camera brand or something, but to me the colour seems a bit weird, maybe a touch orange. I do tend to think best in mono, so I wouldn't worry about it!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The skin tones look natural on my calibrated monitor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast