Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Eyes Have It

Real Name
    John

The Eyes Have It

I think this caption has been used before but I felt it fit this image. Shot was taken a few years ago in Toronto at Dundas Square. I was using my 40mm macro lens set at f/11, 1/500sec, somehow ISO wasn't charted in the exif.

The Eyes Have It

Real Name
    John

Re: The Eyes Have It

A well caught image John. As you have pointed out, those eyes are very engaging even despite the intrusion of the rickshaw poles. IMHO though, it would be worth cropping to almost square to eliminate the figure on the left completely (needs some judicious cloning in order to preserve the gent in the vehicle) in order to increase the young girls prominence. Something like (quick and dirty):

The Eyes Have It

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    A well caught image John. As you have pointed out, those eyes are very engaging even despite the intrusion of the rickshaw poles. IMHO though, it would be worth cropping to almost square to eliminate the figure on the left completely (needs some judicious cloning in order to preserve the gent in the vehicle) in order to increase the young girls prominence. Something like (quick and dirty):

The Eyes Have It
    Hi John,

Thanks for the comments, suggestions, and edit idea. I had a brief moment of hesitation about the rickshaw pole but as it isn't directly sticking out of the side of her head I won't bother with that idea. I also thought the guys cool demeanor would be deemphasized if too much detail of the rickshaw were removed. Thanks again.

Real Name
    Greg

The flower pot on the left annoys me a bit, but not to the extent that I would crop it out. I feel that woman on the left is integral to the success of this image because everyone's eyes are directed in a different direction - including those of the people in the background posters.

Thornhill, a suburb of Toronto, Ontario Canada
    Real Name
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I think this caption has been used before but I felt it fit this image. Shot was taken a few years ago in Toronto at Dundas Square. I was using my 40mm macro lens set at f/11, 1/500sec, somehow ISO wasn't charted in the exif.

The Eyes Have It
    John,
    Dundas Square is another of those target-rich environments I love so much.
    I agree that the blond woman's eyes make the shot and I also agree with John2's crop which eliminates as much of the clutter as is possible without resorting to a lot of serious post-production.
    And based on the shadowless appearance of the scene, and the shutter-speed and aperture you used, I 'd say your ISO was about 200.
    Robert

Real Name
    Sergio

John, she certainly had her eyes on you. You caught her at just the right time. Overall a very interesting scene.

Sergio

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    The flower pot on the left annoys me a bit, but not to the extent that I would crop it out. I feel that woman on the left is integral to the success of this image because everyone's eyes are directed in a different direction - including those of the people in the background posters.
    Greg,

Thanks for comments.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by RBSinTo View Post
    John,
    Dundas Square is another of those target-rich environments I love so much.
    I agree that the blond woman's eyes make the shot and I also agree with John2's crop which eliminates as much of the clutter as is possible without resorting to a lot of serious post-production.
    And based on the shadowless appearance of the scene, and the shutter-speed and aperture you used, I 'd say your ISO was about 200.
    Robert
    Hi Robert,

Yes one of many great areas in Toronto for street photography. Thanks for comments and analysis.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio M. View Post
    John, she certainly had her eyes on you. You caught her at just the right time. Overall a very interesting scene.

Sergio
    Hi Sergio,

Thanks for comments. Shooting with short focal length lenses do tend to get you noticed and can sometimes influence behavior. Toronto's one of a few cities where the citizens seem to take SP in stride and I love them for their casualness.