Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Haven't been on in forever!

Haven't been on in forever!

Hi everyone,
    Not sure how I forgot about this site but used to be addicted and visited often, however, to be honest, did not contribute a whole heck of a lot. But now, I am back

Here are a few portraits I have taken since.

20a.jpg

25.jpg

35b.jpg

47.jpg

C&C would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 21st August 2010 at 09:09 AM. Reason: add images in line

Re: Haven't been on in forever!

Hi Heather. Welcome back!

#1 Seems to lack contrast to me. But a good situation with the baby resting in the hands. Needs a less bright blanket though.
    #2 TBH, not keen on 'up' shots. The angles are rarely flattering to the subject. Perhaps a lighter backdrop to give some separation between hair and backdrop?
    #3 I think this is quite funny (sorry if it's not meant to be!) The attitude and pose seem to suggest "I'm only one, and already bored with life!" Nice shot.
    #4 Very nice mother/child study. I like the colours. Nice one.

Don't go away again or we will send out the CiC recovery squad!

Thank you for your comments. #4 was my favorite, but not going to lie, I also really like #3.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by heather4279 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Not sure how I forgot about this site but used to be addicted and visited often, however, to be honest, did not contribute a whole heck of a lot. But now, I am back

Here are a few portraits I have taken since. C&C would be greatly appreciated.
    Welcome back, you disappeared before I joined so this is my first chance to see your work. Did you present the four shots as a series that would be seen as a slideshow? Or was this a transition in color. Either way, the variety in b & w and color is very interesting and should be increased with the number of shots. Now of course we know with labor laws you can only work the child so much so we are willing to be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Did you present the four shots as a series that would be seen as a slideshow? Or was this a transition in color. Either way, the variety in b & w and color is very interesting and should be increased with the number of shots.
    Wish I was that clever! Just picked four from a session that I did for a friend of mine.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Heather,

Welcome back from me too.

Here's an alternate, personal view; generally I would agree that the subject should be the brightest thing in shot, but all of the first three work for me without that, especially as you have got the exposures right.

I think they're all good, but might be improved thus.

#1 needs a reflector behind the subject, out of shot, or another light, to rim light and separate the hair from the background, but don't overdo it

#2 same advice as #1, I'm happy with the pose give the focus

#3 I don't think that background works at all, but not sure what would

#4 Maybe just a tad over exposed (mum's nose?), also might benefit from just a little more fill in shadows - but I am least sure of myself on this one

Job still going ok?

Nice to see you back a again,

Real Name
    Steve

I like #3, looks like a thinker.

Sorry, Dave. I should have sorted out Heather's posted images. I forgot I could do that now!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    ~ I forgot I could do that now!
    Exactly, no big deal (genuine friendly smilie)

Real Name
    Ali

Welcome back, Heather!

Number 3 is the best shot here in my opinion. However, I would make it completely black and white and add some contrast to it

Dave,
    #3 actually had the same background as the other two and I changed it in post processing for a different look. I did it several different ways and this is the one mom picked.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by heather4279 View Post
    Dave,
    #3 actually had the same background as the other two and I changed it in post processing for a different look. I did it several different ways and this is the one mom picked.
    Well, "the customer's always right" - that's what they say isn't it?

Anyway, I just figured out what it is I don't like about the background in #3 - it contains sharp noise type 'detail' that should not, at that distance, be sharp, given the DoF and that it is apparently behind the much softer far edge of sheepskin thing that baby is on. So wiping a blur brush over it would fix that

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Anyway, I just figured out what it is I don't like about the background in #3 - it contains sharp noise type 'detail' that should not, at that distance, be sharp, given the DoF and that it is apparently behind the much softer far edge of sheepskin thing that baby is on. So wiping a blur brush over it would fix that

Cheers,
    Thanks so much. I will def. take care of that. Knew I came back to this site for a reason.
    Really looking forward to learning from all of you.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Heather,

Remember me

A big WELCOME BACK from me too -- I'd wondered where you went to! Are you still working for the photo studio? How's your partner, and that baby of yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Heather,

Remember me

A big WELCOME BACK from me too -- I'd wondered where you went to! Are you still working for the photo studio? How's your partner, and that baby of yours?
    I am still there (not sure if I should be inserting a happy or sad emoticon here). I've been doing more work on my own, outside of "the studio" and everyone has been very happy with them thus far. As far as the studio, I recently had an image accepted to be used in national advertising