Thread: Question about a camera atop a painter's pole

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Question about a camera atop a painter's pole

I have an upcoming trip to Europe and I'm thinking of buying a painter's pole there so I can elevate my camera to 8 to 10 feet high without using a ladder. What are the chances that the threads on a European painter's pole will fit the threads of a device such as this. Nothing I have is long enough to contain a telescoping painter's pole for transport on the airplane.

Real Name
    George

Re: Question about a camera atop a painter's pole

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I have an upcoming trip to Europe and I'm thinking of buying a painter's pole there so I can elevate my camera to 8 to 10 feet high without using a ladder. What are the chances that the threads on a European painter's pole will fit the threads of a device such as this. Nothing I have is long enough to contain a telescoping painter's pole for transport on the airplane.
    It took me a while to understand what you meant. Now the practical. Do you want to use it as a monopod, standing on the ground, or as a stick just to elevate it, holding it in your hands?

And in Europe you don't take a plane anymore?

I'm asking for I come in that kind of shops regular, so having a look at them is not that difficult.

George

Real Name
    George

A second thought. Why not connecting 2 monopods to each other. If you've figured out how, then even when luggage might be a problem, you only have to take with you the modified one, and buy or borrow a cheap one in Europe.

George

I'll use it as a tall monopod. Once I land in Europe, I won't be on any airplanes until I return home. So, I'll leave the painter's pole in Europe and consider it one of my smaller travel expenses. I have no idea how to connect two monopods securely.

Real Name
    George

I'll use it as a tall monopod. Once I land in Europe, I won't be on any airplanes until I return home. So, I'll leave the painter's pole in Europe and consider it one of my smaller travel expenses. I have no idea how to connect two monopods securely.
    I just was at Calumet looking for some stuff. They had a simple solution. Two identical monopods, disassemble the lower part of one and stick the lower part of the second in the first one. Now you've a long monopod with on both sides a plate for the camera. Just cover one.

George

Real Name
    Richard

Mike...

With the terrorist worries throughout Europe, I wonder if an unusual device like a painter's pole with a camera attached might not cause some unwanted attention from local law enforcement

As an example, if you were to use a device like that to get over the heads of a crowd (say to photograph the Pope), I'll bet that you would be taken down.

Perhaps I am off base with this concern, but it is certainly something to think about....

George...

I really miss my local Calumet brick and mortar store which closed down last year. They carried some really nice gear and it was five miles from my home. Now the closest photo store is a half hour's drive - longer at rush hour...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I wonder if hitting a local camera store in Europe and picking up a cheap light stand might not be a better solution. That way you could always set it on the ground when your arms get too tired.

My cheap 10 ft one cost me around $20. My more expensive 12ft Manfrottos sometimes travel in my large suitcase or in my tripod bag and the small spud on top fits the tripod thread on my camera or ball head.

Real Name
    Andrew

The ultimate self-stick?

Do you want the stick to be able to get to"8 to 10 feet high" as in 4 feet above your head or raise it another 10 feet above your reach? Makes a big difference. If as I suspect it's the shorter just to get over the heads of the crowds, a small collapsible monopod would work but may be a bit a bit flimsy. I have a very sturdy Manfroto monopod I've used for that very purpose. It is perfect for that purpose but if you're not using it regularly can become a bit heavy though lugging around all day. A side benefit is that walking around with a black steel club in your hand tends to ease the number of pesky vendors bothering you.

In our few travels I've always found people to be more tolerant of hikers with their backpacks, walking staffs, etc than of a photograhers similar equipment. I've never had a problem with my monopod though. Best bet for use and acceptability in crowds and with security guards at facilities would be a walking stick. The are made a lot sturdier and some come with camera thread mounts built in. Look ahead of time to see if appropriate models are sold in your arrival location. Personally, I'd look at walkers now and if I couldn't find one suitable I'd modify something ahead of time to take with me.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Another vote for cheap light stands...am assuming that you have a remote viewfinder.

Thank you, everyone! The light stand is the ideal solution.

I had no idea the male end of light stands matches the female part of cameras and never considered trying that combination. (As you can tell, I'm not mechanically minded.) My heaviest light stand extends to 10', so I'll take that with me. Better yet, my tripod bag just barely holds the tripod, the light stand and our two hiking sticks, so I'm all set.

I'll be using the light stand only in the rural areas for shooting landscapes and only if I need the extra height to provide a better vantage point than shooting from a normal standing position on the ground. So, there won't be any crowds or concerns about police.

If I do use it, I'll use it with my CamFi wireless controller and laptop. I'll take a piece of black fabric to throw over my head and laptop to make sure I can easily view the monitor while my assistant, aka wife, wields the light stand and attached camera. I won't even have to give her a tip because I'll be cooking her meal every night.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 16th June 2016 at 11:03 PM.

Ah ha! I just now realized that my device that allows me to attach my camera to a boom will also attach my camera to the very top of the light stand. That capability will make it possible for me to fairly easily adjust the position of the camera to get the composition I want.

It's a shame that production of the device I backed in a crowdfunding campaign is so far behind schedule. If I had it and if it's powerful enough to hold my camera and lens, I would be able to remotely adjust the tilt and rotation of the camera while it's at the top of the light stand all the while reviewing the composition on my laptop. That would eliminate the need to use a trial-and-error method of manually lowering the light stand to within arm's reach, manually adjusting the camera position, manually raising the light stand to its original position, checking the composition and repeating all of that until I've got the composition the way I want it.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 17th June 2016 at 01:11 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

That would eliminate the need to use a trial-and-error method of manually lowering the light stand to within arm's reach, manually adjusting the camera position, manually raising the light stand to its original position, checking the composition and repeating all of that until I've got the composition the way I want it.
    What about your CamRanger clone? That would allow you to see what your camera sees and take pictures remotely. I know you use it with a laptop, but I can use the CamRanger with either an Android or Apple phone or tablet. I expect your device has similar capabilities?

If the camera position is wrong, I'll know that by reviewing the Live View on the laptop using the CamFi (CamRanger clone). However, the CamFi doesn't adjust the position of the camera. It only adjusts things like the ISO, aperture and shutter speed. The device I backed in the crowdfunding campaign will change the position of the camera if the camera and lens aren't too heavy for it.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

If the camera position is wrong, I'll know that by reviewing the Live View on the laptop using the CamFi (CamRanger clone). However, the CamFi doesn't adjust the position of the camera. It only adjusts things like the ISO, aperture and shutter speed. The device I backed in the crowdfunding campaign will change the position of the camera if the camera and lens aren't too heavy for it.
    Understood Mike, but you can hold the pole on an angle and check the view with the CamFi and then fire it when you get the shot lined up.

Your thinking is true in theory. However, I've never done this so I don't know how practical it will be to hold the light stand in a particular position while operating the computer. As an example, I might be in a situation where I have to hold the laptop in one hand and operate it using the other hand. (As much as I joke about my wife being able to hold the light stand for me, she may be a long way away doing her own photography.) I'm such a klutz that I have a difficult time holding a cell phone in one hand and using the same hand to operate it.

So, I might have to rely on getting the setup just right and in a stable situation while allowing me to wait for the best light and also separately operating the camera using my laptop.

Ironically, I may never use the light stand. I'm taking it just to be prepared or perhaps overly prepared to get some particular types of shots I've been hoping to get for a long time. Those shots may or may not be possible without positioning the camera about twice as high as when operating it in a normal standing position.

Once I got to the scene, I realized that elevating the camera beyond my normal shooting height would not have resulted in a better image, so I didn't set up the light stand and related equipment. Even so, thank you to everyone for your help!