Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: St Edmundsbury Cathedral, Suffolk

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7
    Real Name
    Keith

    St Edmundsbury Cathedral, Suffolk

    Hello from a Newbie, I've been on/off the site for a while but this is my first post (hope the attachment works).

    The Cathedral in Bury St Edmunds had a new tower for the Millenium, followed by a new ceiling that was completed earlier this year. Trouble is, they are now rebuilding and painting the organ which means it is clad in scaffold, making it difficult to get a good shot of the ceiling in all it's glory. Fortunately, as I was trying to get a decent (part) image, one of the organ workers took me into their screened off 'workshop' area directly under the ceiling of the new tower and I got a few hand held shots. The attached is one that I've cropped square from full frame. You have to see the real thing to believe it - the work involved was incredible!

    st-edmundsbury-cathedral_ceiling.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 20th August 2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: made attachment bigger - it worked

  2. #2
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,295
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: St Edmundsbury Cathedral, Suffolk

    Hi Lynck49 (Lyn?),

    Welcome to the CiC forums from me, great to have you join with an image in the first post.

    You got lucky there - don't tell H&S though

    Nice pic, well cropped.

    It sounds like I wouldn't have believed they still did work like that these days Refreshing to hear.

    Best regards,

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7
    Real Name
    Keith

    Re: St Edmundsbury Cathedral, Suffolk

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Lynck49 (Lyn?),

    Welcome to the CiC forums from me, great to have you join with an image in the first post.

    You got lucky there - don't tell H&S though

    Nice pic, well cropped.

    It sounds like I wouldn't have believed they still did work like that these days Refreshing to hear.

    Best regards,
    Thanks for the welcome Dave. I'd best make clear that lynck49 was my id in the 'bad old' days of work and anonymity on other websites.

    Keith.

  4. #4
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,295
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: St Edmundsbury Cathedral, Suffolk

    Quote Originally Posted by lynck49 View Post
    Thanks for the welcome Dave. I'd best make clear that lynck49 was my id in the 'bad old' days of work and anonymity on other websites.

    Keith.
    Hi Keith,

    Here's another guess for me to get wrong, you're retired, right?

    What are you shooting with? (he asks, being nosey)

    Cheers,

  5. #5

    Re: St Edmundsbury Cathedral, Suffolk

    Hi Keith

    Welcome to the forum. That's a very colourful shot you posted, and a good geometric pattern. I used to visit BSE quite a lot when I lived in Cambridge. The cathedral is a very nice building, and the town itself is very charming. I'm beginning to sound like a tourist guide...

  6. #6
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    30,725
    Real Name
    John

    Re: St Edmundsbury Cathedral, Suffolk

    Great color scheme.

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7
    Real Name
    Keith

    Re: St Edmundsbury Cathedral, Suffolk

    Dave, the ceiling shot was taken using a D3 with 70-200 f2.8 VRII. 70mm 1/250 @ f5 and ISO640: hand held. The crop was taken from......

    cathedral-ceiling_b4-crop.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 21st August 2010 at 10:47 AM. Reason: add inline

  8. #8
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,295
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: St Edmundsbury Cathedral, Suffolk

    Quote Originally Posted by lynck49 View Post
    Dave, the ceiling shot was taken using a D3 with 70-200 f2.8 VRII. 70mm 1/250 @ f5 and ISO640: hand held. The crop was taken from......

    cathedral-ceiling_b4-crop.jpg
    Wow, that's even more impressive, as you can see the depth element, nice detail ..

  9. #9

    Re: St Edmundsbury Cathedral, Suffolk

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Wow, that's even more impressive, as you can see the depth element, nice detail ..
    +1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •