Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A wet day trip to Cambridge

Real Name
    Steve

A wet day trip to Cambridge

Actually I was quite surprised by how nice it is, even in pouring rain. It is taking a long time to do these photo's though, only 63 left to go.

Real Name
    John

Re: A wet day trip to Cambridge

Very nice images. Obviously the rain does not stop tourism. It's surprising how we will push on during vacation when the weather is dreary. but when we are at home we let bad weather stop our movements.

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks; I went by coach the one above, but before I went on this excursion I thought I better find if there was alternative transport should I miss the above, and rail takes over 9 hours for real and costs £66 cheapest, and there isn't a direct bus service. But if you can get to London then it is only a couple of hours the rest of the way but the point is: I didn't have a choice but to get on with it.

Therefore I found my waterproof backpack really is waterproof and how hard it is to take a photo in drizzle.

Real Name
    Kay

Top shots Steve
    the last 1 in partic' is my favourite

Excellent shots, Steve. I think the last one is the best.

I lived in Cambridge for 10 years until 2000, and it is a very photogenic place. Unfortunately, I wasn't into photography then (too busy).

Hi,
    When is raining the air is very good.
    In first shot all is well but the pole from the left side is very bad.Take it out and You will see the shot will win.
    The last shot is very well done but the frame is very bad because the shot has many details and this mist or blur which contrasts with the shot does not prove a good choice.
    With these small ojections I like them very much
    Please be not upset
    Radu Dinu

Real Name
    Steve

Another four; it takes ages to remove CA and it seems worse on overcast days.

Real Name
    Steve

The second one actually looks a bit like the Watson Building at the University of Birmingham only kidding but it could do if there was a garden.

cheers Rob I've only been to Cambridge in the dark and Radu you are right as usual. I had to get a pic of the coach but noticed the bike locked to the fence.

Cheers Kay it was also the hardest.

Real Name
    Steve

And another four, two of them not so good where I was in two minds to either do a silhouette of chimneys or take a pic the other way whilst dodging traffic. Neither turned out, a car prevented me from getting a shot down the street and after a few attempts I thought I had better give up before the cops come and section me.

Real Name
    Wendy

These are all excellent Arith. My only nitpick would be as Radu has already mentioned - the choice of frames. For instance in the fourth shot in the first set and the last shot in this set, the frame interferes with the picture. Otherwise these look pretty choice to me. I love the fourth in the first the third in the second and the first in the last.
    You do a great job with shadows and highlights and the lack of distortion on the buildings is something I've yet to accomplish.

Nice job
    Wendy

Real Name
    Steve

Thankyou Wendy. Frames is something I have yet to tame and I like the cloisters. I like peace and was pleasantly surprised when I got inside these wonderful gardens. My university was very green (Birmingham) and I used to get in around 7am in the morning and just take in the morning breeze, in the spring/summer and watch the squirrels.

I could sit in theses gardens all day but I had some photo's to take and there isn't another bus trip here this year, and the train takes too long.

Real Name
    Peter

I like the first one

Real Name
    Steve

Ah somebody taking a photo of me taking a photo. Cheers Peter

Good consistent set Steve. Some of these shots are crying out for b/w conversion especially the images of the streets. I like the street images best.

I like the first one
    I wasn't looking there but now you mention it...although the one on the right has longer legs...whoops you meant the first image...didn't you?

Real Name
    Steve

I know what you mean Steve; I start out with an idea of high definition chimneys on top of a silhouette, then I get carried away with fill light and think this is better. Well it isn't and I could do with going there again but no chance. The hardest was the chapel because it was 9 images in a HDR panorama and it is a good job it worked because my back up images were blurred. I've only got cheap software for pano or HDR and quality suffers here especially since I don't have the equipment to ensure the camera rotates around a pupil point. I found out that I need 7 metres of space for my 28mm to stitch reasonably straight but it all depends on the orientation of parallel lines, so I was gambling that this wouldn't work, and I thought it wouldn't.

The 'Round Church' which is overlooked has a strange combination of windows and powerful lights making it also very difficult, but also tourists make life difficult, without my specs I'm blind and didn't notice a tourist hiding behind the pillar, plus I'm brain dead and got my bag in the shot.

The question in my head is with so much adversity, things in the way ect, do you continue or do you just find a close up and buy a macro lens, I think one day I might actually get a shot as planned though. Oh I have, the cloisters are spot on as intended. cheers

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Steve

This body of work demonstrates that, despite the challenges involved in planning the trip, it was well worth the effort. An excellent documentary series. It certainly provides me with a sense of the place. Well done.

Real Name
    Steve

Yes and it was especially hard since it takes three hours to get there and so realistically you have only got a few hours to find something different, and it was raining hard when I got there.

But I phoned up a few places, in particular the 'Round Church' would help me take a photograph if I gave them the right to use the photo, I hope they are not too disappointed with my effort.

Other places like 'Kings' said it costs £5 and you cannot use a tripod or flash, but I'm not interested in a tour and after all Lichfield Cathedral is much bigger.

But it was a really nice day out and I had a lot of interesting chats with porters. cheers Donald

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Ah somebody taking a photo of me taking a photo. Cheers Peter
    Steve, if you do make it back here, let me know and I'll show you around. I might(or might not) be carrying a camera

Real Name
    Steve

If your still there next year Peter, I will.

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    And another four, two of them not so good where I was in two minds to either do a silhouette of chimneys or take a pic the other way whilst dodging traffic. Neither turned out, a car prevented me from getting a shot down the street and after a few attempts I thought I had better give up before the cops come and section me.
    Hi,
    Excuse me Arith,yesterday evening I forgot to tell You that I like Yours eleventh.
    Radu Dinu
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 20th August 2010 at 07:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast