Thread: Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L fof 7D?

Real Name
    mark

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L fof 7D?

I am looking at replacing my somewhat cranky 28-135 that came with the camera.

Re: Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L fof 7D?

Since you have the determination to change your lens, the question arises what benefits you want from such a replacement, based on the type of photography you do. For example do you want a wide aperture, IS, etc., and how much do you want to invest?

If you are simply seeking a general-purpose application and were just looking for the same sort of lens, I would suggest the Canon 18-135 IS STM. It is the standard kit lens for the many Canon bodies. I happen to have two of them and find them to deliver good results. If you want to go up a step, and stick with the Canon brand, then there are two versions of the 24-105 lens: an L version and an STM version. I have the L version and it is a great workhorse. I have also had good feedback about the STM version.

check out this table of comparisons from www.DPREVIEW.COM
    http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...canon_24-105_4

Trevor

I forgot to mention the weight factor. Depending on how much you want to carry about, the 24-105L is almost 50% heavier than the 18-135 STM version. Given that the 7D is no lightweight either you may want to consider both the total weight and the balance given to the body by the weight of the lens. As a matter of course I always put battery grips on my cameras, not just for the batteries themselves, but for the balance they give and the extra controls for portrait use.

cheers: Trev
    Last edited by Tronhard; 5th June 2016 at 02:40 PM.

Real Name
    Terri

I will second everything that Trev said and just add that I've been happy with my 24-105L. I've used it more on my 6D than my 7D, though. It is my walk around lens when I'm not expecting to shoot wildlife. It's my second camera setup when I am shooting wildlife, with my first camera being a 7D and long lenses. So, as Trev said, a lot depends on what you are going to do with it.

Real Name
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    Since you have the determination to change your lens, the question arises what benefits you want from such a replacement, based on the type of photography you do. For example do you want a wide aperture, IS, etc., and how much do you want to invest?

If you are simply seeking a general-purpose application and were just looking for the same sort of lens, I would suggest the Canon 18-135 IS STM. It is the standard kit lens for the many Canon bodies. I happen to have two of them and find them to deliver good results. If you want to go up a step, and stick with the Canon brand, then there are two versions of the 24-105 lens: an L version and an STM version. I have the L version and it is a great workhorse. I have also had good feedback about the STM version.

check out this table of comparisons from www.DPREVIEW.COM
    http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...canon_24-105_4

Trevor
    Thanks Trevor,
    My main reason for the chance is my 28-135 has problems with the image stabilization. and is slowly deteriorating.focus is also inconsistent. I have cleaned the contacts and tried it in another body and It all points to the lens.

I found a refurbished Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L in my price range. I was looking for something in the 17-75mm range and this one popped up. I am not particularly brand loyal I just want a good sharp affordable lens at this point.

Real Name
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    I will second everything that Trev said and just add that I've been happy with my 24-105L. I've used it more on my 6D than my 7D, though. It is my walk around lens when I'm not expecting to shoot wildlife. It's my second camera setup when I am shooting wildlife, with my first camera being a 7D and long lenses. So, as Trev said, a lot depends on what you are going to do with it.
    Thanks Terri,
    That sounds like like where I am trying to go with this. My 28-135 IS is so bad it vibrates and hums a upgrade is a bonus.

Real Name
    mark

I forgot to mention the weight factor. Depending on how much you want to carry about, the 24-105L is almost 50% heavier than the 18-135 STM version. Given that the 7D is no lightweight either you may want to consider both the total weight and the balance given to the body by the weight of the lens. As a matter of course I always put battery grips on my cameras, not just for the batteries themselves, but for the balance they give and the extra controls for portrait use.

cheers: Trev
    Thanks Trevor,
    I have neck problems and use a Cotton Carrier most of the time so weight isn't a problem.

Real Name
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
    Thanks Trevor,
    I have neck problems and use a Cotton Carrier most of the time so weight isn't much of a problem.

Real Name
    Dan

It's all a matter of what you shoot. However, I have both FF and a 7D. I have a 24-105, and it is my walk-around for my FF. However, personally, I wouldn't buy one for a 7D. The short end is too long for a walk-around. When a crop was my only camera, I used the EF-S 15-85 as my walk-around.

Real Name
    Richard

I am not a great wide angle fan but, I have found the 28-135mm lens somewhat restrictive for day-to-day, walk-around shooting on a crop camera. The 28mm is not quite wide enough. I carried a 20mm f/2.8 Canon lens as an adjunct to mt 28-135mm when I was using that lens.

I have tried restricting my wide side of the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens to about 24mm and although it is significantly easier to use than the 28-135mm, it is still not wide enough for use as my go-to mid range zoom lens on my 7D crop camera. I use my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens in conjunction with a 70-200mm f/4L IS lens on a pair of 7D cameras and that combination is wonderful.

Focal length wise, the 18-135mm lens would be just about perfect for a crop camera. I could live with the variable aperture (my 100-400L Mk-2 has a variable aperture and I love that lens).

My only worry would be speed and accuracy of the auto focus on the 18-135mm lens. I like to shoot action shots of moving subjects and accurate ad fast AF is really necessary for me. I have never used the 18-135mm lens so I have no idea of it's quality either in AF or IQ...

Real Name
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    It's all a matter of what you shoot. However, I have both FF and a 7D. I have a 24-105, and it is my walk-around for my FF. However, personally, I wouldn't buy one for a 7D. The short end is too long for a walk-around. When a crop was my only camera, I used the EF-S 15-85 as my walk-around.
    Thanks Dan, I read a review by DPreivew on the 15-85. looks to be a pretty sharp lens for the price.

Real Name
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I am not a great wide angle fan but, I have found the 28-135mm lens somewhat restrictive for day-to-day, walk-around shooting on a crop camera. The 28mm is not quite wide enough. I carried a 20mm f/2.8 Canon lens as an adjunct to mt 28-135mm when I was using that lens.

I have tried restricting my wide side of the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens to about 24mm and although it is significantly easier to use than the 28-135mm, it is still not wide enough for use as my go-to mid range zoom lens on my 7D crop camera. I use my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens in conjunction with a 70-200mm f/4L IS lens on a pair of 7D cameras and that combination is wonderful.

Focal length wise, the 18-135mm lens would be just about perfect for a crop camera. I could live with the variable aperture (my 100-400L Mk-2 has a variable aperture and I love that lens).

My only worry would be speed and accuracy of the auto focus on the 18-135mm lens. I like to shoot action shots of moving subjects and accurate ad fast AF is really necessary for me. I have never used the 18-135mm lens so I have no idea of it's quality either in AF or IQ...
    Thanks Richard,
    The crop factor kinda kills that idea A 18-135 USM? or 15-85 look better for what I need the 17-55mm f/2.8 is also interesting.

Real Name
    mark

another contender maybe.Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM . I don't know much about sigma.

Real Name
    Richard

Yep, the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens is a super piece of glass. However, IMO, it is too short to be the only lens for me to use. If I were looking for a single lens. I might lean towards the 18-135mm, simply because of its range.

If you wanted the 18-135mm, you have two choices: the USM and the STM versions...

If I were intending to shoot video using this lens, I would opt for the STM version... But, if video were not a concern, I would select the USM version.

PC Magazine stated "the older EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS is a bit sharper, albeit slightly larger, lens."

The USM version is available from Canon as a refurbished unit at $399.00 USD.

BTW: I have just noticed this accessory for the USM lens which I think might be neat for video recording:

http://www.adorama.com/ICAPZE1.html

It is a motorized zoom control. I love a motorized zoom control if I an going to zoom while recording. If I just use the zoom lens as a variable focus lens, then the motorized zoom would not be necessary. I tend to use my zoom simply as a variable focus lens because zooming while shooting can get annoying for the viewer (unless properly used).

BTW: I shoot my videos with a dedicated Panasonic video camera, not with a DSLR...

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

I have the EF 24 to 105 L IS USM and I use it a lot on 5D Series Bodies, but not APS-C bodies: 24mm on an APS-C is not wide enough for me for a 'one purpose walk about lens'.

. . . If you are simply seeking a general-purpose application and were just looking for the same sort of lens, I would suggest the Canon 18-135 IS STM. . .
    I agree. I have used the EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and the STM version is supposed to be better in mostly all capacities - especially improvements for video use are most apparent.

I think you are reading this thread - my Post # 11 is relevant to this conversation.

WW

Real Name
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    I have the EF 24 to 105 L IS USM and I use it a lot on 5D Series Bodies, but not APS-C bodies: 24mm on an APS-C is not wide enough for me for a 'one purpose walk about lens'.

* thanks Bill.

I agree. I have used the EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and the STM version is supposed to be better in mostly all capacities - especially improvements for video use are most apparent.

I think you are reading this thread - my Post # 11 is relevant to this conversation.

WW

Canon Very recently released a new version of the 18-135mm lens - see this link:
    http://www.dpreview.com/products/can...specifications

Trev

Real Name
    Kathy

Canon Very recently released a new version of the 18-135mm lens - see this link:
    the-digital-picture.com review says it's optically unchanged from the STM version, the big new feature on it is the new nano-USM motor. Basically, you get the speed of USM with the smoothness/silence of STM for video.

Real Name
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    the-digital-picture.com review says it's optically unchanged from the STM version, the big new feature on it is the new nano-USM motor. Basically, you get the speed of USM with the smoothness/silence of STM for video.
    Thanks Kathy,

Real Name
    mark

Trev
    Thanks Trevor