Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Constant Shutter lock when zoomed on Canon EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM

Real Name
    George

Re: Constant Shutter lock when zoomed on Canon EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM

That's €250.00. It's money but you don't buy a new lens for it. Have fun with it.

George

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by snowshine View Post
    My repaired lens arrived today. . . . Now the lens works perfect .
    Fantastic!

I now find the Zooming ring on the lens much firm and tighter.
    That’s good too. The zoom mechanism has to be removed and replaced to make the repair; if the zoom turret is now smoother and also tighter then that indicates thoroughness in the repair job.

The 24 to 105 is a lens which is prone to suffer from ‘zoom creep’. Mine caught that disease at about 8 months old. It can be address by using a thick elastic band around the zoom turret or one can buy a special device for $10 which is a big thick elastic band with nice writing on it which is placed around the zoom turret – I use neither – it doesn’t worry me at all that the lens creeps out because of gravity as I carry it around.

Can someone with knowledge tell me with above above information about repair, if the originally suggested connection ribbon was what fault as was discussed in here or was it a different problem? ( just to know about the error code accuracy)
    The ribbon cable attaches to the diaphragm assembly and in so doing is “part of the diaphragm assembly”.

My best guess is the whole assembly was replaced as doing so is deemed to be the best practice.

The ribbon cable is definitely available (here) as a spare part, but it is likely that the diaphragm assembly does not cost much more (especially so for an authorized dealership). From a business point of view it is often less expensive to replace a ‘big chunk’ than to fiddle with uninstalling and then reinstalling a small part.

Apropos the Error Message “ERR 01”: if there is miscommunication or no communication between the camera and any point AT or BEFORE the Diaphragm Assembly, then you should get ERR 01 – so in any case, whether it was part of the diaphragm assembly ‘proper’ or the ribbon cable at fault, for your repair the ERR01 message is/was correct.

Below is the link to PART#1 of a FIVE part video of the disassembly of a 24 to 105. At about 40 seconds into Part #3 you will note the Diaphragm Assembly is removed from the inner barrel – note the ribbon attached (the bigger of the two)

Note also before that how the Zoom Mechanism was removed earlier.

I would think that if the docket noted “replaced diaphragm assembly” that would include the ribbon(s) – but a telephone call could confirm that.

BTW – on the face of it, I think that the price was most reasonable for the work done.

WW

{LINK TO VIDEO PART #1 note there are FIVE parts}

Real Name
    Arun

Hello Bill,
    That was a comprehensive answer to me. Thank you very much.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

You are most welcome. Bye for now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12