Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Insects 2016 part 2

Re: Insects 2016 part 2

Just got confirmation of identity on this relatively uncommon moth. Ruddy Carpet. Pity it wasn't in showroom condition.

Insects 2016 part 2

Real Name
    Rudi

1: A Sawfly: Athalia circularis
    Insects 2016 part 2

2: A parasitic wasp, Ichneumon sp ?
    Insects 2016 part 2

3: Is this a digger wasp ?
    Insects 2016 part 2
    Last edited by rudi; 13th June 2016 at 07:46 PM.

Real Name
    Rudi

a few flies:

1: Ensign fly, Sepsis cynipsea ?? Which seemed never to stop....
    Insects 2016 part 2

2: Swollen-Thighed Beetle, and is the hover a Sphaerophoria sp ? Unfortunately it is the only picture I have
    Insects 2016 part 2

3: A long legged fly ??? is about 5-8 mm long.
    Insects 2016 part 2

Insects 2016 part 2

Yes to Ichneumon, Rudi, but there are several thousand European species!

Ephialtes manifestator seems roughly similar.

The last one certainly looks more like a Digger than a Mason Wasp and the combination of all black thorax and legs with yellow spots on the abdomen should considerably narrow down the possibilities. But I can't think of anything which fits that design.

There is a dark form of Crossocerus quadrimaculatus that may be worth a look. Unfortunately the keys start by closely examining wing cells and veins.

Most species have some yellow on the thorax, even if it is just a narrow collar and legs are normally partly yellow/reddish orange. Alternatively there are a few which are completely black or have a partially red abdomen.

Your hoverfly must by Sphaerophoria sp but I have never seen one with orange markings on the abdomen. This family is notoriously difficult to fully identify but note the partial yellow stripe on the thorax sides. Most have a full length stripe.

One of the few commoner species with the broken stripe (and yellow antennae) is S. rueppellii which has a rather bulbous end to the abdomen, just like your fly.

Not sure what to say about the other fly. In some ways it resembles a dung fly species but I don't recognise it.

That would be one to put on a site like Dipertists Forum where some of the real experts may well know the family if not the exact species.

Real Name
    Rudi

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Yes to Ichneumon, Rudi, but there are several thousand European species!

Ephialtes manifestator seems roughly similar.

The last one certainly looks more like a Digger than a Mason Wasp and the combination of all black thorax and legs with yellow spots on the abdomen should considerably narrow down the possibilities. But I can't think of anything which fits that design.

There is a dark form of Crossocerus quadrimaculatus that may be worth a look. Unfortunately the keys start by closely examining wing cells and veins.

Most species have some yellow on the thorax, even if it is just a narrow collar and legs are normally partly yellow/reddish orange. Alternatively there are a few which are completely black or have a partially red abdomen.
    Thanks Geoff. I have also been looking at different possibilities, but none them fits this design. I have some shots off the wings, but somewhat underexposed. I will see what I can recover.

Real Name
    John

Nice shots.

Real Name
    Mark

some great images there well done all - way ahead of me with the moths Geoff, not seen very many here at all - mind you with the rain and the wind - no surprise and the contrasting hot sunny will keep them out of sight as well, another subject for another day for me

Real Name
    James Edwards

way ahead of me with the moths Geoff, not seen very many here at all
    Much the same in the Midlands... havn't seen any yet!

Real Name
    James Edwards

I spent a little time, fascinated, watching this pair of Ensign flies (Nemopoda nitidula?) posturing/courting.

Insects 2016 part 2

Insects 2016 part 2

Insects 2016 part 2

Insects 2016 part 2

Insects 2016 part 2

Insects 2016 part 2

Real Name
    James Edwards

And a few more 'snatched' in-between the rain and thunder we've been having for a few days...

#1 Clay-coloured Weevil, possibly Otiorhynchus singularis
    Insects 2016 part 2

#2 Common Blue Damselfly female, Enallagma cyathigerum
    Insects 2016 part 2

#3 Common Earwig male, Forficula auricularia
    Insects 2016 part 2

#4 Common Earwig Nymph, Forficula auricularia
    Insects 2016 part 2

That can't be a Common Blue Damselfly, James. Note the spur on the thorax side. So it must be a female Azure; or one of those rare rather similar alternatives. They are usually separated by a close examination of the pronotum rear edge, but in reality, unless you are in an area which is a recognised site for them, they can virtually be discounted.

You have done well with those Ensign Flies; they always seem to move faster than I can focus.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by James G View Post
    And a few more 'snatched' in-between the rain and thunder we've been having for a few days...

#1 Clay-coloured Weevil, possibly Otiorhynchus singularis
    Insects 2016 part 2

#2 Common Blue Damselfly female, Enallagma cyathigerum
    Insects 2016 part 2

#3 Common Earwig male, Forficula auricularia
    Insects 2016 part 2

#4 Common Earwig Nymph, Forficula auricularia
    Insects 2016 part 2
    James, interesting earwigs. I'm curious whether we have the same species/variety out here on the west coast of North America. The next time I see one in the house, I'll try to take a photo (rather than step on it).

Real Name
    James Edwards

Thanks Geoff... I fooled myself into thinking there was a spine on the abdomen at S8 and didn't check further! Oh well....

As regards the Ensigns... I think because they were displaying to each other it restricted the normal frantic wanderings that they seem to get up to. I've had the same problem with the speed they move around at.

Real Name
    Rudi

Quote Originally Posted by James G View Post
    As regards the Ensigns... the normal frantic wanderings ......
    Thants a very good description James, I try to remember that !!!

Made the most of some unexpected sunshine today. Heavy rain was forecast and the sky turned inky black with much rumbling of thunder inland; but it stayed fine (apart from a few spots) on the coast.

Another of those oddly marked Damsels. A Blue-tailed which must have emerged recently.

Insects 2016 part 2

'If I an the head you must be the tail'. A Lackey Moth caterpillar in a position which amused me. Awkward angle to get everything in focus and it was moving around so I couldn't stack either.

Insects 2016 part 2

A mating pair of Eupeodes corollae.

Insects 2016 part 2

Ruby-tailed Wasp.

Insects 2016 part 2

Several beetles which are going to be a struggle to identify. This is a Cantharis species but going further resulted in a rather uncommon species so it will need double checking.

Insects 2016 part 2

I seem to come up with Cantharis thoracica but probably just a variation of the more frequent C. pellucida.

Real Name
    Mark

Nice set Geoff. Love that ruby tail - only managed to get 1 shot of one last year - its not till you see them in real life you realise how small they are !

Real Name
    James Edwards

+1 for the ruby tail... Have never seen one yet... I Live in hope

Real Name
    Mark

still sans the macro lens - its been fixed and is now being tested - ah well a few shots with the 70-300 and cropped

on a seperate note - while catching these images i noted the real bees chase the Merodon hover away but ignore other bees on the same flowers - clearly they dont fool the real thing but interesting behaviour as if it was food protection you would expect them to chase other bees off as well - but they waste energy chasing the hover mimic but not the real thing ?

Merodon equestris, a bumble bee mimic, Volucella pellucens often known as the great Pied Hoverfly and Episyrphus balteatus, the marmalade hoverfly

Insects 2016 part 2

Insects 2016 part 2

Insects 2016 part 2

What a thoroughly fantastic and interesting series of photographs. Extremely well done.

Tony

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast