Thread: Appliance

Real Name
    Greg

Appliance

What do you think of when you think of a Fire Engine? For me, it is bright red and chrome so this section of an appliance represents the whole machine for me. I debated with myself about removing the sign because some may find the writing distracting, but then again it also represents an integral function of the unit. C&C welcome.

ApplianceAppliance_M8A5754 copy (srgb) by Foot Loose2012, on Flickr

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: Appliance

This shot will wake Jack (Flashjack) from his sleep. Wow! very bright. And no, please do not remove the signs because they anchor this shot...bring a different view to the brightness of the top and bottom too. Just my opinion...you know me, I am opinionated.

Real Name
    John

Nicely composed.

Real Name
    Richard

A bold and striking image Greg, I like it. I would like to have seen another label to say what the filler cap is for.

Crikey that's bright! Just from title alone I suspected it was going to be fire related, and it was! I think it's a great shot, clearly obvious to me what it is (it's a FIRE ENGINE! An appliance is something we put on the end of hoses.)
    A few years back when I was in Oz I spent a morning with a crew in the Sydney suburbs. I don't know if it's changed but they had little good to say about their 'appliances' as they were purchased by the lowest bidder. They did like American apparatus (a collective term for our engines and trucks.)
    Striking color combination, especially with the teal(?) sign for O2 and the AED. Still trying to guess what the container is but since it's beneath the O2 bottle(s) it wouldn't be flammable. Maybe container for Foam? Anyway totally cool shot, very cool.

Real Name
    Matt

Bloody hell, its 22:40 here and I was nodding off at my desk looking at my neighbours dimming garden fairy lights and I opened this...

Its a really interesting image though, have you tried it desaturated?

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    This shot will wake Jack (Flashjack) from his sleep. Wow! very bright. And no, please do not remove the signs because they anchor this shot...bring a different view to the brightness of the top and bottom too. Just my opinion...you know me, I am opinionated.
    Thanks Izzie. I agree with your opinion: the blue anchors the rest of it. When I cloned it out the shot became kind of 'bland'.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by DickyOZ View Post
    A bold and striking image Greg, I like it. I would like to have seen another label to say what the filler cap is for.
    Thanks Richard. I guess the tank with the filler cap cannot be mistaken for something else, so they haven't labelled it. (I have removed nothing from this shot, other than a few scratches and some dirt on the truck/appliance.)

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    Crikey that's bright! Just from title alone I suspected it was going to be fire related, and it was! I think it's a great shot, clearly obvious to me what it is (it's a FIRE ENGINE! An appliance is something we put on the end of hoses.)
    A few years back when I was in Oz I spent a morning with a crew in the Sydney suburbs. I don't know if it's changed but they had little good to say about their 'appliances' as they were purchased by the lowest bidder. They did like American apparatus (a collective term for our engines and trucks.)
    Striking color combination, especially with the teal(?) sign for O2 and the AED. Still trying to guess what the container is but since it's beneath the O2 bottle(s) it wouldn't be flammable. Maybe container for Foam? Anyway totally cool shot, very cool.
    Thanks Jack. When I was learning about fires and firefighting, the instructor (fire officer) told us they were called appliances. I don't doubt that the terminology is different in your part of the world, or that the fieries you spoke to here call them trucks and engines. But a quick google of the term shows they are officially called appliances here.

http://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/page.php?id=42
    https://www.fire.qld.gov.au/about/equipment.asp
    http://www.cfs.sa.gov.au/site/about/appliances.jsp

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Bloody hell, its 22:40 here and I was nodding off at my desk looking at my neighbours dimming garden fairy lights and I opened this...

Its a really interesting image though, have you tried it desaturated?
    It was shot in direct sunlight, Matt, which possibly makes it seem so bright. But then again, it is obviously meant to stand out. (Come to think of it, when I was an adolescent I had a checkered shirt about the same colours as those red and yellow squares. ) I don't see any point in desaturating it - I haven't boosted it at all. What would that achieve for you? For me the shot is about the colours and the pattern/ shapes of the variety of rectangles.

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    Thanks Jack. When I was learning about fires and firefighting, the instructor (fire officer) told us they were called appliances. I don't doubt that the terminology is different in your part of the world, or that the fieries you spoke to here call them trucks and engines. But a quick google of the term shows they are officially called appliances here.

http://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/page.php?id=42
    https://www.fire.qld.gov.au/about/equipment.asp
    http://www.cfs.sa.gov.au/site/about/appliances.jsp
    Hi Greg, no it wasn't the firies that called them engines and trucks, that's a U.S. term, they just mentioned that they really liked the looks of U.S. fire apparatus.

So question, are/were you a firefighter? I know that 'retained' are kind of like volunteers here, and that volunteers there are the good folds that man and do most of the wildfires, is that correct?

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    Hi Greg, no it wasn't the firies that called them engines and trucks, that's a U.S. term, they just mentioned that they really liked the looks of U.S. fire apparatus.

So question, are/were you a firefighter? I know that 'retained' are kind of like volunteers here, and that volunteers there are the good folds that man and do most of the wildfires, is that correct?
    Hi Jack, I was not an official firefighter in any sense although I have had some experience. The instruction I referred to was an element of a mining engineering course I did (must be 40 years ago now). Learning the names of equipment and its purpose, different types of fire (wood, coal, oil, chemical, electrical) and how to combat them, what types of fire are likely to be found at particular sites u/g and relating to particular machinery/apparatus (transformers, isolators, feeders, belts etc); as well as strategies for fighting fires u/g.

We had tours of the local fire station, and they lit a fire for us to extinguish. Also went to the rescue station - which is like a huge oven - and lit that up and took us inside to experience a 'real' fire (Hot, bloody hot!).

A couple of years later I joined the fire team at work, and once a fortnight we trained by extinguishing a large fire in a safe area on the surface. I was glad I never had to put that training into practice with a real fire u/g.

But all my practical experience was in fighting bushfires (wildfires) in the area where I lived. We were just a group of neighbours with a 3 ton flat top truck that we tied a 500gal water tank onto and connected a 4hp honda engine and about 20m of hose. One guy drove the truck, another stayed on the back of it to keep the pump going and manage the hose, and I manned the business end of the hose on the ground. We weren't official in any sense, but the local bush fire brigade would call on us during the fire season so maybe we were some kind of adjunct.

My only connection these days is when I accompany the fire inspector on periodical inspections of the equipment in the complex where I live.

I think most of the country fire brigades are volunteers but they come under the command of the Fire Authority when there is a serious outbreak. There is not much government funding for them, and they rely on fund-raisers and donations.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

And I was just about to comment that you may be an SES person along with Tony Abbott...
    Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    Hi Jack, I was not an official firefighter in any sense although I have had some experience. The instruction I referred to was an element of a mining engineering course I did (must be 40 years ago now). Learning the names of equipment and its purpose, different types of fire (wood, coal, oil, chemical, electrical) and how to combat them, what types of fire are likely to be found at particular sites u/g and relating to particular machinery/apparatus (transformers, isolators, feeders, belts etc); as well as strategies for fighting fires u/g.

We had tours of the local fire station, and they lit a fire for us to extinguish. Also went to the rescue station - which is like a huge oven - and lit that up and took us inside to experience a 'real' fire (Hot, bloody hot!).

A couple of years later I joined the fire team at work, and once a fortnight we trained by extinguishing a large fire in a safe area on the surface. I was glad I never had to put that training into practice with a real fire u/g.

But all my practical experience was in fighting bushfires (wildfires) in the area where I lived. We were just a group of neighbours with a 3 ton flat top truck that we tied a 500gal water tank onto and connected a 4hp honda engine and about 20m of hose. One guy drove the truck, another stayed on the back of it to keep the pump going and manage the hose, and I manned the business end of the hose on the ground. We weren't official in any sense, but the local bush fire brigade would call on us during the fire season so maybe we were some kind of adjunct.

My only connection these days is when I accompany the fire inspector on periodical inspections of the equipment in the complex where I live.

I think most of the country fire brigades are volunteers but they come under the command of the Fire Authority when there is a serious outbreak. There is not much government funding for them, and they rely on fund-raisers and donations.

Real Name
    Greg

Well, I would consider it an honour to serve alongside Tony. I know he participates in several community organisations (Fire Brigade, Surf Club etc) but I don't think he is in the SES.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Greg ,I'm a bit late as I haven't been online regularly recently. I just want to say that I like the image with contrasty colors