Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAW vs jpg conversions

Real Name
    Patrik

RAW vs jpg conversions

This may have been discussed earlier but I have a question to the knowledgeable CiC members.
    I use both RAW and jpg concurrently on my SLR camera ( Canon 7D MarkII ) and when imported to PS Bridge I can see the difference of the jpg conversion from the camera. What puzzles me is not the change/improvement in Saturation and Brightness but also in the Hue. I thought the colours would remain the same. The camera jpgs are set to NEUTRAL .

I would appreciate an explanation.
    Cheers / Patrik

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: RAW vs jpg conversions

First question Patrik - Is your monitor calibrated and profiled, so that you know your getting 100% colour accuracy?

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by pat3pee View Post
    This may have been discussed earlier but I have a question to the knowledgeable CiC members.
    I use both RAW and jpg concurrently on my SLR camera ( Canon 7D MarkII ) and when imported to PS Bridge I can see the difference of the jpg conversion from the camera. What puzzles me is not the change/improvement in Saturation and Brightness but also in the Hue. I thought the colours would remain the same. The camera jpgs are set to NEUTRAL .

Cheers / Patrik
    See my diagram in the other topic. RAW in LR-5 or in RAW processor?

George

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Cheers / Patrik
    Hi Patrik

There's no reason the colours should be exactly the same. RAW conversion, whether it be in external software or in camera (to produce a jpeg) requires some form of colour calibration for the camera. It could involve a full colour profile or it could be as simple as a set of R,G and B multipliers. It's unlikely the externally applied profile will be exactly the same as the one used in camera.

In the case of Bridge/ACR/PS, a Standard Adobe colour profile for the camera is applied as default. You can select something different in ACR if you wish. If you go into the camera calibration tab in ACR you will see a list of camera profiles if you click on Camera Profile.

Dave
    Last edited by dje; 26th May 2016 at 09:53 AM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

In addition to everything already mentioned, the display on the camera is so small that I wouldn't be able to make the comparisons you're trying to make between the camera and the computer monitor. So, I wouldn't expect my assessment of any perceived differences or similarities to be accurate.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    In addition to everything already mentioned, the display on the camera is so small that I wouldn't be able to make the comparisons you're trying to make between the camera and the computer monitor. So, I wouldn't expect my assessment of any perceived differences or similarities to be accurate.
    He's comparing them on the pc.

George

Real Name
    Kaare

What puzzles me is not the change/improvement in Saturation and Brightness but also in the Hue. I thought the colours would remain the same. The camera jpgs are set to NEUTRAL .
    Im not sure if I understood the question right or if I misunderstood something else. But isn't the answer your looking for, that the camera is converting a RAW file to a JPEG, and there by changing the information. Then when you opens it on the computer it read the information differently.

Hope it makes sense

/Kaare
    Last edited by kalyt; 26th May 2016 at 02:19 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    He's comparing them on the pc.
    I have read his post again. Though you may be right, his post is not clear about that, at least not to me.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I have read his post again. Though you may be right, his post is not clear about that, at least not to me.
    he wrote that it is after conversion in Bridge

Real Name
    Dan

when imported to PS Bridge I can see the difference of the jpg conversion from the camera. What puzzles me is not the change/improvement in Saturation and Brightness but also in the Hue. I thought the colours would remain the same. The camera jpgs are set to NEUTRAL .
    First, the neutral style doesn't mean "don't do anything". "Faithful" is closer to that. See http://www.canon.co.jp/imaging/pictu.../faithful.html

But even with the faithful setting, your the raw image has to be rendered. As Dave pointed out, the default in ACR is Adobe's own rendering algorithm, which differs from Canon's.

It used to be the case that you could download emulations of the Canon picture styles to load into ACR. I don't know if that is still true.

Donald, I don't think calibration of the monitor would matter for the OP's question. If the rendering were identical, it would appear the same regardless of calibration. What calibration would affect is the appearance of the difference in rendering, if there is one.

Real Name
    Ted

Cheers / Patrik
    On my cameras, the in-camera JPEG converter is different to the JPEG converter in the manufacturer's provided software such as Bridge, or in my case Photo Pro. The in-camera converter has to be fast and only has two color spaces sRGB and Adobe.

Here's an example from my Sigma DP2s:

RAW vs jpg conversions

Quite different to my eye (in-camera JPEG on the right). Sigma in-camera firmware embeds a fine quality full-size JPEG into the raw file; this file can be extracted which is what we see above. I extracted it because that model can not store raw + JPEG separately.

By the way, on the Sigma SD14 DSLR (I've had 3) the out-of-camera JPEGs are absolutely horrible compared to the same raw converted in Sigma Photo Pro. Long ago, I bought an SD14 to replace a Nikon D50 and sold it within a week for that very reason!
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 26th May 2016 at 02:17 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Patrik - part of what you might be seeing with the change in hue is a side effect of "baking in" the white balance in the jpeg file versus what happens in an external raw converter.

With the raw conversion process you can set the colour temperature (blue - yellow) AND the tint (green - magenta) settings. Unless your raw converter uses exactly the same values as your camera's built-in raw converter, I would expect to see a difference here. In fact getting exactly the same result would be highly unusual.

Real Name
    Andrew

Patrik, here is my interpretation. As already mentioned, Neutral does not mean zero adjustments.

All the settings in the camera from Neutral to Portrait to Landscape all have settings to make them into a photo you can see. (raw data looks like a scene from The Matrix) Those settings are created by some programming engineer employed by the camera manufacturer. I've read varying opinions on whether or not Canon purposely weights red to emphasize skin tones and Nikon weights green to strengthen landscapes. In some cameras you can also adjust the colours of those basic settings yourself. The fact is, a few different people are involved in making that file that eventually turns into a picture.

The program you use to turn the data into a visible picture also has software that somebody jammed in a cubicle someplace thought would make photos look good. Using the manufacturers software such as NX2 or DPP will take into account the settings in the camera while others do not. (I don't think so but I've not used them or made comparisons)

The point is, you are presenting two different data files to Bridge. A neutral and raw that someone coded. That data has to be interpreted again by software to turn it into something you can see. What it does with the differences when interpreting those files depends on what the camera and Bridge programmer a few thousand miles away each had for breakfast that day.

We won't get into the possibilities of additional file coding when it comes to your video screen or printers. I'm sure you get the idea.

The problems you will have defining the reasons for the differences in any process are proportional to the square of the number of engineers involved in that process.

Yes there are obvious differences. They are meant to be. Just learn to work with the one you prefer.
    Last edited by Andrew1; 26th May 2016 at 02:36 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

I never shoot JPEG anymore... I did once when I first started digital photography and was actually afraid of using RAW...

I find it a lot easier to work with RAW and to open the RAW files in Adobe Camera RAW, do some initial post processing in ACR such as leveling horizons, working with perspective, etc,., etc... White balance is also a lot easier to achieve using the eyedropper tool... There are so many facets to camera RAW that it would take more than I prefer to write and you would prefer to read in order to list them all...

Here is a neat video on Scott Kelby's workflow. Don't worry that the video is aimed at travel photography, it is applicable to any type of photography...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIt1cDw5lLI

I then work with Photoshop CS6 including my NIK Plug-ins to do everything except cropping and final sharpening. I save the edited file as a Master Image in Photoshop file format PSD. I then close my RAW file without saving any of the edits.

I don't sent out or give out unprocessed images anymore than I would have given out my negatives in the Dark Ages of film photography

I can then crop the Master Image to any format or size that I need. It has the majority of editing done on it, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel every time I want an image for printing or posting on the Internet. I often have uses for my images in various formats and sizes. I always have a permanent RAW file and a permanent master image to fall back upon.

Unless I wanted just to use the image without any edits (WHICH I VERY SELDOM DO) the in-camera JPEG image is of no use to me.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 26th May 2016 at 07:54 PM.

Real Name
    Ted

Do you use a color-checker card, like the 24-patch Macbeth?

If so, you could post two JPEG shots here and I have the means to analyze the differences between them and also to tell you which image is more color-accurate. I would only analyze the six patches B,G,R,Y,M,C.

Probably you know that "color" is defined by both Hue and Chroma (and Lightness if we're feeling picky), not just "hue". So what I would be doing is comparing hue and chroma in CIELAB color space.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 26th May 2016 at 03:18 PM.

Real Name
    Patrik

Sorry I have been away for the day and now see all the great questions and advice. Shall shortly answer them and since I usually don't use jpg files it was just a point of interest. Below you will see a picture of a bougainvillea saved in photoshop as jpg files and hopefully you can spot the color shift.

* No I have not " properly" calibrated and profiled my monitor
    * I have not yet ( will do shortly) calibrated this camera for its ACR profile
    * Yes both pictures are shown on the PC screen
    * It seems that this camera's RAW converter is showing too much blue and maybe this explains why the jpg picture shows a warmer red color ?
    * The color Mode for both images is Adobe RGB
    * I only use jpg files for immediate posting where quality is not important. Otherwise I only develop the RAW images and send them to the web or for printing as corrected jpg files.
    * No I did not use color checker card ( laziness since I have the card )

RAW vs jpg conversions

RAW vs jpg conversions

and now seeing the two pics I am sending they look just like the original jpg image !!! Is this because I saved the RAW image in Photoshop to jpg ? Any how the RAW colors were more magenta bluish even if not much color shift +++ Quite confused.

Real Name
    Ted

Below you will see a picture of a bougainvillea saved in photoshop as jpg files and hopefully you can spot the color shift.
    * No I did not use color checker card ( laziness since I have the card )

RAW vs jpg conversions

RAW vs jpg conversions

and now seeing the two pics I am sending they look just like the original jpg image !!! Is this because I saved the RAW image in Photoshop to jpg ? Any how the RAW colors were more magenta bluish even if not much color shift +++ Quite confused.
    Quite a puzzle that, eh?

I'm sure that the Canonistas or Photo-shoppers here will be along with the answer direckly.

Although we know what you probably mean by "RAW colors" it is not a strictly correct term. Perhaps you should say "review image colors".

Be that as it may, I downloaded your pics and analyzed three areas, JPEG vs "RAW":

A red petal has 8% more chroma and 10 degrees hue shift toward yellow.
    The sky has 3% less chroma and 2 deg hue shift toward cyan.
    A leaf has 5% less chroma and 4 deg hue shift toward yellow.

Not enough difference to write home about, I reckon, as you've said.

So, as you suspect, something else is going on - possibly to do with the dreaded color-management
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 26th May 2016 at 08:31 PM.

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

I still see a difference between the two. You say you used a neutral picture control in camera but I am not clear what picture control you used in Adobe. Each picture control in Adobe will provide a certain contrast and color palette so even the neutral Adobe picture control will look different from your Canon neutral picture control. If you are using Adobe's default pc than you are using Adobe Standard which I do not use at all anymore. I tend to use portrait which has less contrast and brighter highlights--more like your jpeg version. If you prefer the Canon neutral picture control and want to use Adobe, you are going to have to find your own formula combining a picture control and the values of other settings. I let go of my Nikon colors and just work with what I can get out of Adobe.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Brev00 View Post
    I still see a difference between the two. You say you used a neutral picture control in camera but I am not clear what picture control you used in Adobe. Each picture control in Adobe will provide a certain contrast and color palette so even the neutral Adobe picture control will look different from your Canon neutral picture control. If you are using Adobe's default pc than you are using Adobe Standard which I do not use at all anymore. I tend to use portrait which has less contrast and brighter highlights--more like your jpeg version. If you prefer the Canon neutral picture control and want to use Adobe, you are going to have to find your own formula combining a picture control and the values of other settings. I let go of my Nikon colors and just work with what I can get out of Adobe.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    In general, from mine diagram, if converter and/or settings are different than the result is different. You may add compression to that.

George

Real Name
    Patrik

In reply to George, as said before, I have not made a camera calibration for ACR converter yet so yes I was using Adobe Standard profile for this shot.
    Patrik

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast