Thread: Enigmatic expression

Real Name
    Simon

Enigmatic expression

I like the light in this picture - it's all natural, I caught it rather than manipulated it. I also love the expression, she's very enigmatic. And she paid for lunch.

Enigmatic expression

Real Name
    John

Re: Enigmatic expression

Nicely captured.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

She is a pretty lady, Simon...I like the light in her hair too. How did you manage to con her to pay for lunch?

Real Name
    Richard

Nice portrait of a lovely lady... I know that it is just my personal thing but, for some reason a nose ring attracts my eye away from just about everything else...

Real Name
    Izzie

Maybe because his kind of "rings" belongs in the ear, not the nose...

OT: Being Asian, when we were young, we were told that boys are circumcised and girls' ear lobes goes through a hole being poked in them each because it is a method of circumcision. To cover the hole, a metal thingie is put to cover those two holes. They are called "earrings". When one of my boys were in high school, one came to me and asked permission to have an earring. I stared at him very long and quietly said "if you want to continue living in this house, you will NOT even think of having such a thing." To this day he is now married and have a child, he has not bothered about womanly things that belongs to women.

Real Name
    Simon

I don'y know how I got her to pay for lunch - I am just very fortunate to have friends who will feed their local starving photographer I guess

This is not a criticism, but both Izzie's and Richard's posts highlight how cultural and social norms influence our opinions on aesthetics. As a father, brother, son and uncle, I believe in pluralism and try to embrace and appreciate what other people find beautiful or pleasing, no matter whether it fits into my cultural perception and norms - this way I don't pass on any personal hang-ups to those young impressionables around me. We live in a busy world and come in to contact with all sorts of people, so having an open and welcoming mind is a great asset.

My friend's nose ring will have different meanings to her than it has to me, and to be honest I wouldn't even notice it in every day life - it's just a part of her. In the image, I have actually slightly increased the clarity on the ring as it helps build nice triangles in the composition.

Real Name
    Dave

Nice image. I like the light and the soft shadows on her face.

Dave

Real Name
    Sergio

Great shot, Simon. Wonderful light and shadow and I love her expression.

I admire people who have the courage to be who they are despite what others might think.

Well done.

Sergio

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Good one Simon,

It ticks a lot of boxes.

Did you have to dodge or burn in PP to get the lighting 'just so'?

Cheers, Dave

Real Name
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Good one Simon,

It ticks a lot of boxes.

Did you have to dodge or burn in PP to get the lighting 'just so'?

Cheers, Dave
    Thanks Dave - I did dodge around the eyes to remove the dark areas, but these were more signs of tiredness than light issues. I also added a grad filter to the shadow side of the face (just half a stop) in post as I didn't use a reflector - it was a lunch, not a photo shoot although most of my friends will tell you that they can't tell the difference any more

However, the highlights on the face are all natural. It was great light.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Maybe because his kind of "rings" belongs in the ear, not the nose...

OT: Being Asian, when we were young, we were told that boys are circumcised and girls' ear lobes goes through a hole being poked in them each because it is a method of circumcision. To cover the hole, a metal thingie is put to cover those two holes. They are called "earrings". When one of my boys were in high school, one came to me and asked permission to have an earring. I stared at him very long and quietly said "if you want to continue living in this house, you will NOT even think of having such a thing." To this day he is now married and have a child, he has not bothered about womanly things that belongs to women.
    At one time it was common for sailors and fishermen, etc to wear a gold earring because if they were lost at sea and their body was found, the earring would be sufficient to pay for the cost of a basic burial service. Also a handy way to always have some form of currency with you at all times.

However, that tradition has largely died out now.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ionian View Post
    I also added a grad filter to the shadow side of the face (just half a stop)
    Yep, that's what I was wondering - not because I could see it, you did it well - just because I anticipated the need for it

Real Name
    Simon

Here's another one from the same lunch. I prefer the first as a photographer, but I think my friend will prefer this one.

I really need to put the camera away and let people eat...

Enigmatic expression

Real Name
    Simon

Here's another one from the same lunch. I prefer the first as a photographer, but I think my friend will prefer this one.

I really need to put the camera away and let people eat...

Enigmatic expression
    Lovely portaits, Simon. I've been doing something similar, getting guests to pose for pics on the deck of our house, which I've discovered makes for a good backdrop at night. Our friends have been quite good-natured about it, and some have really liked the prints I've made and given them, but I've considered posting a warning sign: "Visitors will be shot".

Real Name

Hi Simon,

Yes, that shadow from the hair light* got away from you there

* I jest, it is, I assume, a tungsten downlighter, which I noticed in her hair in the first shot - those dang lights ruin shooting in so many restaurants - but I do appreciate them to see what I am eating

Cheers, Dave

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    At one time it was common for sailors and fishermen, etc to wear a gold earring because if they were lost at sea and their body was found, the earring would be sufficient to pay for the cost of a basic burial service. Also a handy way to always have some form of currency with you at all times.

However, that tradition has largely died out now.
    Except with some...Morgan Freeman's explanation for his earrings must had came from this old tradition or so I read.

Please do note that I am not criticizing the lady. I think you have captured her beauty there with her personality.

Real Name
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Simon,

Yes, that shadow from the hair light* got away from you there

* I jest, it is, I assume, a tungsten downlighter, which I noticed in her hair in the first shot - those dang lights ruin shooting in so many restaurants - but I do appreciate them to see what I am eating

Cheers, Dave
    You are right - the shadow on her shoulder could be taken out. However, the biggest issue was that it caught her nose and I spent 45 minutes recolouring and then retexturing her nose in post. If I'd have noticed it at the time, it would have taken 2 secs to ask her to lean back slightly and the issue would have been avoided...

Real Name

However, the biggest issue was that it caught her nose and I spent 45 minutes recolouring and then retexturing her nose in post. If I'd have noticed it at the time, it would have taken 2 secs to ask her to lean back slightly and the issue would have been avoided...
    Betcha won't need to do it in PP again though

But also nice for you to know you did it so well (just in case!)

Cheers, Dave