Thread: Motion Blur - C&C are most welcome

Real Name
    Tejal

Motion Blur - C&C are most welcome

Dear All,

I have tried to capture a dancer in motion blur, performing on stage. Kindly share your C&C for the same.

Regards,

Tejal

Motion Blur - C&C are most welcomeIMG_4739 as Smart Object-1 by Tejal Imagination, on Flickr

Real Name
    George

Re: Motion Blur - C&C are most welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Tejal View Post
    Dear All,

I have tried to capture a dancer in motion blur, performing on stage. Kindly share your C&C for the same.

Regards,

Tejal

Motion Blur - C&C are most welcomeIMG_4739 as Smart Object-1 by Tejal Imagination, on Flickr
    I like the idea, but I don't think you succeeded. There's to much blur to suggest motion, the blur is to static, Try to find a moment where some part of the dancer is quit, or any way a difference in motion. That might give you a more different blur.

However, the more I look at it, the more I like it.

George

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    I like the idea, but I don't think you succeeded. There's to much blur to suggest motion, the blur is to static, Try to find a moment where some part of the dancer is quit, or any way a difference in motion. That might give you a more different blur.

However, the more I look at it, the more I like it.

George
    Many thanks for your feedback.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Tejal,

My feeling is that to succeed, a shot like this needs to have the face fairly well defined - well, something significant on the subject must be sharp (other than just the background).

You might have achieved this in other captures, the best advice I can suggest is to shoot prolifically and then select one or two 'lucky' captures from the hundreds of others that will be like this, or worse.

HTH, Dave

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Tejal,

My feeling is that to succeed, a shot like this needs to have the face fairly well defined - well, something significant on the subject must be sharp (other than just the background).

You might have achieved this in other captures, the best advice I can suggest is to shoot prolifically and then select one or two 'lucky' captures from the hundreds of others that will be like this, or worse.

HTH, Dave
    Oh.. : something significant on the subject must be sharp (other than just the background) - this is quite challenging. I need to try for this now.

Real Name
    George

Oh.. : something significant on the subject must be sharp (other than just the background) - this is quite challenging. I need to try for this now.

That's what I meant with static blur. The blur is equal. Try a shoot when only one part of the body is moving or having a different speed. Even when all the body is blurred, there will be a difference within the blur.

George

Real Name
    Tejal

That's what I meant with static blur. The blur is equal. Try a shoot when only one part of the body is moving or having a different speed. Even when all the body is blurred, there will be a difference within the blur.

George
    Ok..... this is more clear now. Got it. I must try now.

Real Name
    John

It really depends on the particular dance, if this was a whirling dervish then chances are only the feet might be in a stable position; although every twirl has to lessen at some point in time so it might be possible to get the face. Nice effort.

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    It really depends on the particular dance, if this was a whirling dervish then chances are only the feet might be in a stable position; although every twirl has to lessen at some point in time so it might be possible to get the face. Nice effort.
    Thanks John for your comment. I was just thinking about the dance where i can find the static part of the body, but i think in none of the Indian dance there is such possibility. Kathkali is the dance where legs movement could be lesser but stable..... i think no. Little movement will surely be there.

What I understood from the above comment about capturing motion blur, that it is not easy. . This one i clicked hand held, but tripod can give a better results.

Real Name
    George

Thanks John for your comment. I was just thinking about the dance where i can find the static part of the body, but i think in none of the Indian dance there is such possibility. Kathkali is the dance where legs movement could be lesser but stable..... i think no. Little movement will surely be there.

What I understood from the above comment about capturing motion blur, that it is not easy. . This one i clicked hand held, but tripod can give a better results.
    I don't think a tripod will be a help. If the light conditions and your gear will allow you to use a higher shutterspeed, you might gain some and see more difference in the motion. From your website f4.5,ss 1/5, iso 100.
    You can also try it with a flash. Then you get a shot with a exposure of 1/1000s within this exposure. Worth to give it a try and experiment with it.

George

Real Name
    Tejal

I don't think a tripod will be a help. If the light conditions and your gear will allow you to use a higher shutterspeed, you might gain some and see more difference in the motion. From your website f4.5,ss 1/5, iso 100.
    You can also try it with a flash. Then you get a shot with a exposure of 1/1000s within this exposure. Worth to give it a try and experiment with it.

George
    Thanks for your comment. Little more higher speed would have given good result, i think. I was quite far from the stage, so not sure flash could work or not. This is quite challenging. .

Real Name
    John

Hi Tejal,

It's all about knowing the dance movements and anticipating where the particular body part will be in the next few seconds. If you can anticipate which position the body will be in you'll get a much better capture rate.

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Hi Tejal,

It's all about knowing the dance movements and anticipating where the particular body part will be in the next few seconds. If you can anticipate which position the body will be in you'll get a much better capture rate.
    Again a most difficult thing for me as I don't know dancing. . But something definitely very challenging to photograph. From this at least I undetstood how a motion blur pic could come out nice.

Real Name
    John

Again a most difficult thing for me as I don't know dancing. . But something definitely very challenging to photograph. From this at least I undetstood how a motion blur pic could come out nice.

Real Name
    Richard

Shooting a large number of exposures with the expectation that many, if not most, of them will go into the trash bin is the way to do this.

However, if you are allowed to use flash, shoot at a very slow shutter speed with second curtain sync which might just freeze portions of the image...

Here's an idea of what I am driving at:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyGa7z4GQ2U

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Shooting a large number of exposures with the expectation that many, if not most, of them will go into the trash bin is the way to do this.

However, if you are allowed to use flash, shoot at a very slow shutter speed with second curtain sync which might just freeze portions of the image...

Here's an idea of what I am driving at:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyGa7z4GQ2U
    Thank you Richard for your comment and for sharing the link.