Thread: At the brick kiln : C&C are most welcome :)

Real Name
    Tejal

At the brick kiln : C&C are most welcome :)

Kindly share your C&C for my below images.

Regards,

Tejal

At the brick kiln : C&C are most welcome :)a by Tejal Imagination, on Flickr

At the brick kiln : C&C are most welcome :)IMG_9718 by Tejal Imagination, on Flickr

At the brick kiln : C&C are most welcome :)IMG_9718 as Smart Object-1 by Tejal Imagination, on Flickr
    Last edited by Tejal; 20th May 2016 at 10:49 AM.

Real Name
    John

Re: At the brick kiln : C&C are most welcome :)

Nicely done on the first, good layers to the composition, I'm not at all distract by the large brick as it blends in with the middle ground layer of wall. I also like how the children are distracted by something off to their right; perhaps mom is bringing lunch or a toy.

As always, I like the atmosphere and sense of toil the workers are experiencing, interesting processing technique that works well when viewed from a distance. I would love to see this processing done on a closeup of the workers face, may not be so easy to get close and be safe with your 18-55mm lens; but you seem to be able to get pretty close to capture these great images.

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nicely done on the first, good layers to the composition, I'm not at all distract by the large brick as it blends in with the middle ground layer of wall. I also like how the children are distracted by something off to their right; perhaps mom is bringing lunch or a toy.

As always, I like the atmosphere and sense of toil the workers are experiencing, interesting processing technique that works well when viewed from a distance. I would love to see this processing done on a closeup of the workers face, may not be so easy to get close and be safe with your 18-55mm lens; but you seem to be able to get pretty close to capture these great images.
    thanks for talking about brick in the 1st pic. I wanted to hear about it. .

I was on height, though dust troubled us a lot and of course our camera too. But I get involve so much into the process of photographing something (of my interest) I forget rest of the things . (where i am standing, the sun is on head or rest of the things, which we really need to take care of). Same things happened here too. I didnt want to miss moments to capture in my camera .

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Tejal View Post
    thanks for talking about brick in the 1st pic. I wanted to hear about it. .

I was on height, though dust troubled us a lot and of course our camera too. But I get involve so much into the process of photographing something (of my interest) I forget rest of the things . (where i am standing, the sun is on head or rest of the things, which we really need to take care of). Same things happened here too. I didnt want to miss moments to capture in my camera .
    You are most welcome, just remember to give the camera and lens a good inspection afterwards.

Real Name
    Tejal

You are most welcome, just remember to give the camera and lens a good inspection afterwards.
    Oh yes .

Real Name
    Richard

I think that your second image (especially the color version) is just great. At first I thought that it was a bit noisy but, running NIK Dfine did clear up some noise, but degraded the quality of the image. I think that the noise really helps the gritty appearance of the pit.

I suggest that you use a plastic bag or baggie to cover your camera (taping it on or using elastic bands to hold it in place) AND use a protective filter over your lens when you shoot in an atmosphere filled with dust and grit such as this. Additionally, get some type of bulb blower to blow the initial dust from your camera. Also, purchase a small soft paint brush and thoroughly brush off the camera and lens after you are through shooting. Then work over the camera with a soft (microfiber is best) cloth.

I always carry an Optech Rainsleeve in my photo vest or my bag whenever I am out shooting. They are quite inexpensive and very light weight.
    http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-90...ech+rainsleeve
    These are especially good when used with a protective filter on the lens and secured by elastic bands.

I mostly use the Optech Rainsleeve for dust protection. If I know that I will be shooting in rain, especially heavy rain, I use a rain cover that looks like this one. It is really not much more expensive than the Optech Rainsleeve...
    http://www.amazon.com/Altura-Photo-P...ech+rainsleeve

I shot for ten rainy days in Alaska with this type of cover and it worked great. I did have a protective filter on the lens...

This is the type of weather I shot in:
    The camera and lens came through the ten days with no problems....

If you are using a cover for your camera in a dusty and gritty environment, make sure that you clean off the cover before removing the camera. That way, you don't transfer the dust and grit to the camera.

Keep up the great work!
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 20th May 2016 at 05:47 PM.

Real Name
    John

The monochrome version really pops.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Tejal,

I think we've seen a shot from the position you shot #2/3 before haven't we? It looks familiar.

I prefer the composition of #3, it is also not so noisy as #2 when viewed at 100%.

That said, I really like the concept of #1.

Good work and as educational as ever.

Cheers, Dave

Real Name
    Dan

Tejal, another nice shot of the brickworks. Of these two renditions I prefer the B/W version. The processing on the color version does not appeal to me. But the content is excellent.

In the first image lining up the child at left between the bricks in the FG was brilliant. It really draws attention to the child. Are the children waiting for their parents who are working?

Real Name
    mark

The black and white for me Tejal, It has a timeless feel. it could be yesterday or 100 years ago.

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I think that your second image (especially the color version) is just great. At first I thought that it was a bit noisy but, running NIK Dfine did clear up some noise, but degraded the quality of the image. I think that the noise really helps the gritty appearance of the pit.

I suggest that you use a plastic bag or baggie to cover your camera (taping it on or using elastic bands to hold it in place) AND use a protective filter over your lens when you shoot in an atmosphere filled with dust and grit such as this. Additionally, get some type of bulb blower to blow the initial dust from your camera. Also, purchase a small soft paint brush and thoroughly brush off the camera and lens after you are through shooting. Then work over the camera with a soft (microfiber is best) cloth.

I always carry an Optech Rainsleeve in my photo vest or my bag whenever I am out shooting. They are quite inexpensive and very light weight.
    http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-90...ech+rainsleeve
    These are especially good when used with a protective filter on the lens and secured by elastic bands.

I mostly use the Optech Rainsleeve for dust protection. If I know that I will be shooting in rain, especially heavy rain, I use a rain cover that looks like this one. It is really not much more expensive than the Optech Rainsleeve...
    http://www.amazon.com/Altura-Photo-P...ech+rainsleeve

I shot for ten rainy days in Alaska with this type of cover and it worked great. I did have a protective filter on the lens...

This is the type of weather I shot in:
    The camera and lens came through the ten days with no problems....

If you are using a cover for your camera in a dusty and gritty environment, make sure that you clean off the cover before removing the camera. That way, you don't transfer the dust and grit to the camera.

Keep up the great work!
    Oh.. this is so useful. Thanks for sharing this information and the link. I have nothing out of these. .

Cleaning the camera, yes, I usually do after such type of shoots. But cleaning with paint brush is again a good idea, which was not there in my mind.

Thanks a million Richard .

Real Name
    Tejal

The monochrome version really pops.
    he he he.... thank you

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Tejal,

I think we've seen a shot from the position you shot #2/3 before haven't we? It looks familiar.

I prefer the composition of #3, it is also not so noisy as #2 when viewed at 100%.

That said, I really like the concept of #1.

Good work and as educational as ever.

Cheers, Dave
    thanks Dave and many thanks as you remember my previous shots. It is different. A similar shot from same angle I have already posted which is here :

At the brick kiln : C&C are most welcome :)IMG_9720 by Tejal Imagination, on Flickr.

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Tejal, another nice shot of the brickworks. Of these two renditions I prefer the B/W version. The processing on the color version does not appeal to me. But the content is excellent.

In the first image lining up the child at left between the bricks in the FG was brilliant. It really draws attention to the child. Are the children waiting for their parents who are working?
    Thanks Dan . I am glad you liked it. Some vehicle came and those children faced towards left together and i captured that moment .

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
    The black and white for me Tejal, It has a timeless feel. it could be yesterday or 100 years ago.
    thank you Mark .

Real Name
    Binnur

I really can't choose between #2 and #3 Tejal. Both very nice shots . And I must say that you have very interesting subjects to shoot in India. I like viewing your images

Stockholm, Sweden (and sometimes Santiago de Cuba)
    Real Name
    Urban Domeij

Tejal, the image of the kids is well composed and beautiful, but the second one goes under my skin. I can feel it, the rush, the heat, touching hot and rough bricks with bare hands, the fear of falling or the bricks falling upon you.

Bricks were made and handled manually here too, not very long ago, and in my youth I have seen similar work done, although people here had gloves when handling those bricks, never with bare hands. When bricks were removed from the kiln, they were still hot, not glowing hot, but enough to hurt your hands if you held onto them for too long. But the kiln had rails, and the workers used wagons, and this job was done by men.

I guess much of your photographic work could serve as a documentary on women work in your part of the world. I do appreciate it much, could almost feel the weight of those nine bricks on top of her head, or in the image the other day of the salt workers, the weight of a full basket of salt. Kudos.

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by Inkanyezi View Post
    Tejal, the image of the kids is well composed and beautiful, but the second one goes under my skin. I can feel it, the rush, the heat, touching hot and rough bricks with bare hands, the fear of falling or the bricks falling upon you.

Bricks were made and handled manually here too, not very long ago, and in my youth I have seen similar work done, although people here had gloves when handling those bricks, never with bare hands. When bricks were removed from the kiln, they were still hot, not glowing hot, but enough to hurt your hands if you held onto them for too long. But the kiln had rails, and the workers used wagons, and this job was done by men.

I guess much of your photographic work could serve as a documentary on women work in your part of the world. I do appreciate it much, could almost feel the weight of those nine bricks on top of her head, or in the image the other day of the salt workers, the weight of a full basket of salt. Kudos.
    Thank you so much for your comment. I am glad you like my pictures.

Their work is really very very hard. And moreover in brick kiln, bricks where transferred by females only. Men were standing on the truck and were stacking bricks from their (women's) head to the truck.

At the salt pan too, men and women both were working but from the pan to pile, the baskets were carried by women only.

Generally, wherever I go for such type of photography (documentary), I talk to them and try to know their working style and about their life. At salt pan, they are paid on hours basis and that too not much hardly Rs. 50 or Rs. 60. they work for 3-4 hours only per day. So, hardly they earn much from this work. It is really tough.

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    I really can't choose between #2 and #3 Tejal. Both very nice shots . And I must say that you have very interesting subjects to shoot in India. I like viewing your images
    thanks Binnur