Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mad Idea.

Real Name
    Wayland ( aka. Gary Waidson )

Mad Idea.

I haven't posted for a while so I thought I would show you some recent work.

Mad Idea.

Every now now and again I get a mad idea.

I had already decided to have an overnight photo shoot at one of my favourite locations, The Carles at Castlerigg. The original plan was to do some light painting on the stones with a hand held flash unit and then experiment with a new gadget called a PixelStick that I've acquired. More of that later perhaps.

The weather forecast was good, high pressure holding clear skies over the region and the hope was to get a decent shot of the Galactic Plane rising over the Helvellyn range in the distance to fill the sky as well.

Then while I'm lying in on the morning of the shoot I get the idea... What if the sky isn't so good? I'll have an hour or so spare on location... Perhaps there is another way to light the stones.

I thought of candles but they would blow out, candles in jars would look wrong. I have some Viking style oil lamps but not enough of them and they are difficult to move when lit.

I have lit shots before using fire lighters on tin lid trays but they have a limited burn time.

What needed is a small portable fire.....

First I needed something to put one in that would protect the ground surface. I had an old cast iron glue pot with legs that would fit that bill. It also had a handle that would make it easy to move. I just needed a hook with a handle which I could easily make with an old tent peg and a bit of broom handle.

I then worked out how to make a compact, bright burning fire which would fit into the pot and give me the chance for multiple shots if needed.

The game was on.

We arrived before sunset to find a collection of camper vans parked near the circle which was potentially a problem. It wouldn't be the first time I had attempted an overnight shoot here only to find it the venue for a party of some kind. This is a popular location for all sorts of people, not just photographers.

I was accompanied by a friend, Jim, who was also interested in doing some light painting and we cased the scene, looking for the best angles of view, while we still had enough light to set the focus.

I had two lenses I thought would do the job, both f2.8 so fast enough for the Astro shots but wide enough to encompass the whole circle from fairly close in. I decided on my positions, marked them with short twigs stuck into the ground and set the focus points, being careful to tape the focus dials so they would not move while handling the lenses.

My intention was to use a tracking mount for the Milky Way shots but this was the point that I discovered that I had neglected to pick up the case from home with the Polar Scope in it which made it impossible to set up. A bit of a blow because that would mean I would have to ramp up the ISO and use shorter exposures to reduce star movement. That would increase the noise levels, a potential loss of quality.

We set about the planned light painting shoot as the light levels dropped. The sky was not quite clear with a few wispy clouds scudding through but good enough. This took us through to about eleven when Jim decided he was getting chilled and wanted to return to the van to warm up. I was still fine, you've got to like wool clothing when it does it's job well.

This meant that I could move into my front viewpoint without getting in Jim's way, something I had been concerned about.

I lit up the fire pot and while it was getting started, I set about sorting my camera out. Finding my peg and using a laser to check my framing, I set up with the wider lens and fired a couple of test shots to check everything was working to plan.

I have a radio trigger which allows me to fire the camera at a distance. This meant that I could move the fire pot, duck behind a stone and take the shot without having to return to the camera each time, something that would save a lot of precious time. The sky would start to get lighter from about three am.

So the procedure started. Set the fire pot in front of a stone, hide and shoot. 54 times for the first sequence. This had to be repeated for a longer exposure to fill in the mid tones. That took about an hour.

Jim returned just as the second sequence was completed and we noted that the sky was even clearer now which made it ideal for taking a sequence of shots of the Milky Way which I could stack in the computer to reduce the noise levels.

As these shots were completed, I moved back so Jim could get his shots without me in the way and let moved the fire pot away from the circle, onto bare earth so it could burn out.

The twilight was growing so with that done, we moved to another location for the Sunrise before driving home.

Any sane person would have gone straight to bed at this point but I decided to spend the next few hours constructing the image you see here from the 111 useful RAW frames I had from the shoot.

Simple this photography lark isn't it?

Re: Mad Idea.

Oh, but well worth the effortt - that's beautiful!

Real Name
    André

Wow

Real Name
    Simon

I love this Gary. Every now and then I get up at silly o'clock and photograph a sunrise, and think I'm making some massive effort for my art, but then I read about a shot like this and realise that I have it easy!

The result was totally worth it - I'd have this on my wall any day of the week.

Real Name
    John

Nicely conceived and captured.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Have a vision. Conceptualise the image. Create the plan. Get the resources. Execute.

Brilliant. That's called art.

Real Name

Thank you all.

Donald. I've always preferred the honourable term "craft" but I'll accept "art" as long as it's with a small "a".

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

You are certainly a dedicated photographer and artist. Very beautiful Wayland...

Real Name
    Nandakumar

That is a superb image

Real Name
    Tayyeb

Amazing

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I agree with Donald about this being Art. besides knowing what and how, you're doing this outside, with any number of variables that can bring your work to a standstill (let's call your work 'Hard' photography, as opposed to 'soft' photography; CGI, or studio work, where one can control for any and all variable and is probably little more complicated than stamp collecting.)

There is a very mystic feel to this image, perhaps the beginning of an ancient ritual, and the galactic plane (Milky Way) rising (an amazing subject itself) just draws you into the whole image. This is an image I think would vary little from being there in person, it has that feel of authenticity.

Curious, the glow over the horizon, something to do with sunrise/sunset or lights from a distant city?

Real Name

Light pollution from Ambleside I reckon.

Very few places with a clean night sky in the UK these days unfortunately.

Real Name
    James Edwards

Gary, art definitely, but absolutely Photography with a big 'P'. From conception to final execution a tour-de-force. The 'fire pot' concept is pure inspiration.

And, I don't think I could have gone to bed either!

Real Name
    Binnur

WOW! Great effort, great image

It may have been a mad idea but it is awesome. As others have said it is a work of art.

This is GREAT!
    What a concept, and well executed as others have said.

Now if it had been me, since I don't stack images, I'd have dressed up all in black and figured out a way to completely enclose the fire pot, then scurried around exposing the pot at each of the stones while making a long duration exposure to capture the whole thing.

I think your method works better though. I wish we could see a little bigger version of it so we could see some of the detail that I'm sure is there.

Real Name

I'm afraid I have had too many images stolen online to risk that.

800px is the largest I am prepared to post online at the moment.

Fair enough, what is the ground cover in the middle?
    Grass or sand or ?

Real Name
    Richard

You MADE a wonderful image...

Real Name
    Dan

It's a lovely image, indeed. And bravo for the concept, planning and execution. Nicely done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast