Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fresnel Lens

Real Name
    John

Re: Fresnel Lens

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Ran across another Fresnel flash focusing device on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Rogue-Safari-P...ams_ad_dp_ovrl
    Thanks for link, I've had the better beamer for a few days now and keep getting thwarted to actually use. I'm tempted to try one of these other versions also for the quick attachment, the Better Beamer requires me to apply with Velcro, not an issue but a chore detaching and stowing away. I'm going out tomorrow to try again.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post

I have just read one review -- it is not supposed to work with an FX camera. Thanks for the links anyway.

Real Name
    John

Re: Fresnel Lens first attempts

Fresnel Lens

Fresnel Lens

f/9, ISO 1250, 1/500, heavily cropped.

Real Name
    Izzie

Was it dark when you shot this scene? Where did you direct the light? The water is very, very green...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Fresnel Lens

Fresnel Lens

f/9, ISO 1250, 1/500, heavily cropped.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I'd doubt the pop-up flash has sufficient power to throw far enough for wildlife at a distance, even with this device (or similar ones).

I suspect its aim might be 'off' for many cameras, since all pop-ups will vary in dimension to an extent and I don't know if this is adjustable. It is also showing as "Unavailable", which may 'say' something.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Was it dark when you shot this scene? Where did you direct the light? The water is very, very green...
    Hi Izzie,

Dark from overhead trees, the creek is not the cleanest. Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    Izzie

My gun (real one, not my point and shoot...) has a laser pointer. May I can find a find a way to fit it in my camera with some duck tape or something to see how far it can go. I believe green goes farther than red even on a cloudy day...just a thought...

hmmm...it might not work to sync it with light....

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I'd doubt the pop-up flash has sufficient power to throw far enough for wildlife at a distance, even with this device (or similar ones).

I suspect its aim might be 'off' for many cameras, since all pop-ups will vary in dimension to an extent and I don't know if this is adjustable. It is also showing as "Unavailable", which may 'say' something.
    Hi Dave,

I noticed that it's not displaying in exif that flash was used, not sure why. I may try again under more optimal conditions, however this type of lighting/conditions is what the device is designed for. Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    John

My gun (real one, not my point and shoot...) has a laser pointer. May I can find a find a way to fit it in my camera with some duck tape or something to see how far it can go. I believe green goes farther than red even on a cloudy day...just a thought...

hmmm...it might not work to sync it with light....
    Fresnel Lens

This was taken just before the family moved into the shade, I only adjusted the exposure slightly, the b/w points, applied NR and sharpened.

Real Name

Hi John,

My reply #25 was addressed at the device Dan had linked (for pop-up flash), not your image.

I think I see a flash catch-light in their eyes.

Were you using the zoom feature on an external flash gun?
    Or some Fresnel lens device attached to an external flash?
    Which flash gun?
    (sorry, substitute "strobe" where appropriate)

Your shutter speed before moving in to the shade is 1/640s and after was 1/500s, above the camera's normal flash sync speed, so were you using the HSS mode on flash?

The EXIF does say Flash was Off and did not fire, but if it was a manual, external gun, attached via a PC cord or single contact via hot shoe, the camera won't know it is there - it will still fire and may contribute some light to parts of the frame even above the sync speed and not in HSS mode.

You should get more success if all the settings are compatible, but I'll need to know more to assist further.

Cheers, Dave

Real Name
    John

Hi John,

My reply #25 was addressed at the device Dan had linked (for pop-up flash), not your image.

I think I see a flash catch-light in their eyes.

Were you using the zoom feature on an external flash gun?
    Or some Fresnel lens device attached to an external flash?
    Which flash gun?
    (sorry, substitute "strobe" where appropriate)

Your shutter speed before moving in to the shade is 1/640s and after was 1/500s, above the camera's normal flash sync speed, so were you using the HSS mode on flash?

The EXIF does say Flash was Off and did not fire, but if it was a manual, external gun, attached via a PC cord or single contact via hot shoe, the camera won't know it is there - it will still fire and may contribute some light to parts of the frame even above the sync speed and not in HSS mode.

You should get more success if all the settings are compatible, but I'll need to know more to assist further.

Cheers, Dave
    Hi Dave,

I had a Yongnuo flash 560 IV mounted on the hotshoe, the Fresnel lens extender (Better Beamer) attached to the flash. Flash zoom was at 105mm, I had the flash intensity set at 1/16 and HSS on manual. I was also using a 2X teleconverter.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Hi Dave,

I had a Yongnuo flash 560 IV mounted on the hotshoe, the Fresnel lens extender (Better Beamer) attached to the flash. Flash zoom was at 105mm, I had the flash intensity set at 1/16 and HSS on manual. I was also using a 2X teleconverter.
    Thanks for the info John, apart from trying more power, I think you're on the right track to 'fill light' at a distance, but there may be better ways if flash is to be the main light source at a distance. This is an area I still have much to learn.

Does the Yongnuo 560 IV just have a single central hot shoe contact?

My Godox TT685N has more (another 3), but I had to buy a specific Nikon version (N suffix), this enables the camera, and EXIF data, to show more info. but only when "all the stars are aligned"

I think the Yongnuo 560 series are not camera brand specific as they don't try to do TTL, so probably only need the one contact. They do have built in decent RF though, which is good.

Cheers, Dave
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 23rd May 2016 at 01:09 PM.

Real Name
    John

Thanks for the info John, apart from trying more power, I think you're on the right track to 'fill light' at a distance, but there may be better ways if flash is to be the main light source at a distance. This is an area I still have much to learn.

Does the Yongnuo 560 IV just have a single central hot shoe contact?

My Godox TT685N has more (another 3), but I had to buy a specific Nikon version (N suffix), this enables the camera, and EXIF data, to show more info. but only when "all the stars are aligned"

I think the Yongnuo 560 series are not camera brand specific as they don't try to do TTL, so probably only need the one contact. They do have built in decent RF though, which is good.

Cheers, Dave
    Hi Dave,

Yes, just one hot shoe contact. Hopefully I'll get another chance to work with the system later today.

Real Name
    John

Re: Fresnel Lens Latest attempts

Was out with the Fresnel setup and not having any luck with the birds, turned around and saw these babies cringing behind me. First shot was jpeg in-camera: f/16, 1/200sec, ISO 1600
    Fresnel Lens

Second shot RAW: f/5.6, 1/200sec, ISO 200
    Fresnel Lens

Real Name
    Ken

I assume that the background was in sunlight, and the foreground in shadow, not that the flash beam was too high.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Ken MT View Post
    I assume that the background was in sunlight, and the foreground in shadow, not that the flash beam was too high.
    Hi Ken,

That would be correct, mixed lighting situation.

Real Name
    Izzie

Are these moles, John? I think I've seen these before in some park...

Real Name
    John

Are these moles, John? I think I've seen these before in some park...
    Hi Izzie,

I think they are gophers. Thanks for viewing.

Real Name
    John

Re: Fresnel Lens Other attempts

Not really happy with these but posting to show efforts with the Fresnel lens. Both f/14, ISO 500, 1/640sec, 500mm 2X extender. I was shooting around the edges of a bird blind in a nature preserve. Birds just have a tendency to land where they want and its usually in a thick of trees. I think this is a NA warbler.

Fresnel Lens

Fresnel Lens

Real Name
    Izzie

Re: Fresnel Lens Other attempts

How far does the light of the fresnel lens goes (even in daylight)? If you had shot this warbler from a bird hide, how far were you from it? Or would it be more better for nighttime shots? Just curious...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast