Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fresnel Lens

Real Name
    John

Re: Fresnel Lens Other attempts

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    How far does the light of the fresnel lens goes (even in daylight)? If you had shot this warbler from a bird hide, how far were you from it? Or would it be more better for nighttime shots? Just curious...
    Hi Izzie,

The Fresnel lens is supposed to double the distance of the flash and mine is rated GN 190, so at aperture of f/16 I should have coverage of 17 feet x 2=34 ft. I'd estimate that I was at least 40 feet from the bird so barely enough fill light provided. I think my real issue for this shot though was focal length. Also, if I had been shooting at f/4 I would have had at least 95ft coverage with the Better Beamer. Additionally, my ISO is much higher than is assumed when calculating flash distance. Used the following to calculate:

GN/F/stop =flash to subject distance.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: Fresnel Lens Other attempts

Thanks for the info. If and when I am allowed to go outside the house (or even just in my backyard) at night or my trip soon, I will try to use a beamer. I will order one tomorrow at B&H...it is not that expensive...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Hi Izzie,

The Fresnel lens is supposed to double the distance of the flash and mine is rated GN 190, so at aperture of f/16 I should have coverage of 17 feet x 2=34 ft. I'd estimate that I was at least 40 feet from the bird so barely enough fill light provided. I think my real issue for this shot though was focal length. Also, if I had been shooting at f/4 I would have had at least 95ft coverage with the Better Beamer. Additionally, my ISO is much higher than is assumed when calculating flash distance. Used the following to calculate:

GN/F/stop =flash to subject distance.

Real Name
    John

Re: No Fresnel Lens Available

I didn't need the Fresnel lens for this capture nor did I have it with me. My friend spotted this bird a few days ago and she told me of its odd behavior, the bird started shrieking as she stumbled upon it; and I figured there must be a ground nest nearby. Today we went looking for it and again it immediately began shrieking, we spotted another about five feet away which was probably where the nest was hidden. I used my friend as bait and she approached the bird while I got a few shots from about a distance of ten feet. We were able to quickly identify the bird as the Killdeer and it does what is called a "broken wing" defense against predators, it will pretend to be injured to distract while the nest is safely a few feet away. I didn't want to distress the bird too much so only took about five shots and decided to give the bird some peace of mind.

Fresnel Lens

f/22, ISO 1000, 1/250sec

Real Name
    John

Taken around same time as the killdeer, could've used the Fresnel lens here and a bit more focal length.
    Fresnel Lens

A crow and red-winged black bird.

Real Name
    Izzie

The first one looks good at F22 but why ISO 1000? Did you really need all those at 1/250 SS or was this because you chose Auto ISO? Just curious...

Real Name
    John

The first one looks good at F22 but why ISO 1000? Did you really need all those at 1/250 SS or was this because you chose Auto ISO? Just curious...
    Hi Izzie,

Auto ISO, Nikon loves to expose to the right. Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    John

Re: Fresnel Lens used on this

Used the Fresnel on this shot, bird was too close to fully composed but grabbed the shot anyway.

f/8, ISO 200, 1/200sec

Fresnel Lens

Real Name
    Izzie

That is really a cutie bird -- the shot is good with that lens --very clear.'Hope you did not step on it, the bird I mean...

Real Name
    John

That is really a cutie bird -- the shot is good with that lens --very clear.'Hope you did not step on it, the bird I mean...
    Hi Izzie,

The bird survived the encounter, very friendly bird and would hop onto the picnic table I was sitting at looking for scraps. Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    John

Another encounter when I didn't have the Fresnel lens and in shady environment. Cropped about 30%.

f/5.6, ISO 400, 1/160sec, 270mm

Fresnel Lens

Real Name
    Izzie

How big is that lens you are carrying around?
    Is the one you are using the Nikkor 300 mm F/4E PF ED VR?
    Just curious...
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 2nd July 2016 at 09:06 AM. Reason: remove odd tags

Real Name
    John

Just curious...
    It's the 70-300mm Nikon, it weighs about 26 ounces but gets heavy after a day of carrying the lens. Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    randy

Just curious...
    Izzie, This is with the Nikkor 300mm F/4 PF ED VR with 1.4 teleconverter

Fresnel Lens

Weighs about 26 oz.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by rtbaum View Post
    Fresnel Lens

Weighs about 26 oz.
    I'm surprised, it doesn't look that big

Real Name
    Izzie

NOw that I had googled this lens, for that price at nearly $2K, how often do you use it? The results looks good even without and with the TC...

Real Name
    randy

Izzie- As you may have noted, bird photography is one of my principal venues. Last year, I made the decision that my my antiquated Sigma 400mm telemacro f/5.6 without IS would be replaced. My criteria were Image stabilization, more speed, and I wanted to be able to hike with it. Going into my local brick and mortar, I planned on picking up the Nikkor 200-500mm 5.6 or Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 Sp. I was put off by the belief that both lenses are quite heavy and seemed unbalanced to me when at full extension. The sales person suggested that I try the 300 pf and it has all the qualities that I was looking for. I am quite pleased at present with the lens; I can shoot hand held quite nicely, autofocus is responsive, and as you noted works well with a TC.

Real Name
    Izzie

About time to think about this for my wedding anniversary or Christmas, damn! what is the nearest holiday? I missed out on Independence Day!!! I kinda like the handholding part...

Quote Originally Posted by rtbaum View Post
    Izzie- As you may have noted, bird photography is one of my principal venues. Last year, I made the decision that my my antiquated Sigma 400mm telemacro f/5.6 without IS would be replaced. My criteria were Image stabilization, more speed, and I wanted to be able to hike with it. Going into my local brick and mortar, I planned on picking up the Nikkor 200-500mm 5.6 or Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 Sp. I was put off by the belief that both lenses are quite heavy and seemed unbalanced to me when at full extension. The sales person suggested that I try the 300 pf and it has all the qualities that I was looking for. I am quite pleased at present with the lens; I can shoot hand held quite nicely, autofocus is responsive, and as you noted works well with a TC.

Real Name
    John

About time to think about this for my wedding anniversary or Christmas, damn! what is the nearest holiday? I missed out on Independence Day!!! I kinda like the handholding part...
    We should invent a new holiday, how come no one celebrates Happy Brother/Sister Day or Happy God Mother/God Father Day?

Real Name
    randy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    We should invent a new holiday, how come no one celebrates Happy Brother/Sister Day or Happy God Mother/God Father Day?
    I called it, "it's my birthday and I have money burning a hole in my pocket" Day

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123