Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: why lightroom

Real Name
    Hakan

why lightroom

Hi all,

i always use ps for editing. But these days i'm hearing lightroom for editing a lot.

why do people use it? and what can it do photoshop can't.

Thanks,
    Hakan

Real Name
    Wendy

Re: why lightroom

Hi Hakan: I'm sure you will get more replies on this from people more experienced than myself, but my understanding is that LR is not meant to be a replacement for PS, but in many cases can do a good enough job that PS might not be required on certain shots. It can't do anything that photoshop cannot do, it does less than PS but more than Adobe RAW. It's not as expensive and it's easier to use than photoshop and might be all that some people need or want, OR it can be used for a simpler workflow on shots that don't need all the extra features of PS.

Wendy

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Hakan,

From what research I did a while ago, it looked like LR3 should be better at keeping track of photos on removable HDDs, etc. (even when unplugged), but since I don't know what capabilities Photoshop's "Bridge" has, I cannot compare. So it is more of a photo library and RAW workflow thing - if that's what you need.

Wendy is certainly correct that it cannot do as much as PS, so if processing images is what you're after - PS rules.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by hurkmez View Post
    Hi all,

i always use ps for editing. But these days i'm hearing lightroom for editing a lot.

why do people use it? and what can it do photoshop can't.

Thanks,
    Hakan
    As Dave mentions, it really depends on your needs.

With a landscaping workflow I might take 50 or 100 shots - pick one - and then process it; for this, Brigde / ACR / Photoshop is ideal.

With a studio workflow I might take 200 or 300 shots - pick a bunch for the clients to look through; for this Bridge (at this stage is perfectly adequate) (to be followed by ACR & PS later) works just fine too.

With a wedding shoot workflow, one will want to have a much higher percentage of shots to show the client - and one will then have to subsequently process many more shots as well; for this, LR has it's greatest strengths. In this situation Bridge / ACR / Photoshop will still allow you to get the same result, but it'll take a lot longer (assuming that the operator is competant with both suites of programs).

Personally, I don't like lightroom - I find it too confusing, and I don't really understand how it's organising my images or how to backup what it's done -- but I'm the first to admit that (a) I don't really understand the program, and (b) it doesn't suit my workflow either.

Real Name
    Hakan

Hi,

these informations enough for me. i want to know that LR is important or not.

thanks,
    Hakan