Thread: A-League

Real Name
    Robbie.

A-League

My first attempt at shooting 'Grown ups' Sport.

A-League

EF70-200mm f/2.8L USM
    @200mm
    1/500s
    f/3.2
    ISO 1000
    1 X Monopod.

I was really disappointed with the level of noise @ISO1000 on the 6D maybe I was under exposed at those settings? Perhaps the 5Diii next time.

I was very surprised by the lighting levels in the stadium, I have spent my adult life lighting stages and sets often for camera, the levels in this arena were very low.

I wanted 1/500 to stop action and based my exposure around that, I didn't want to go to f2.8 as I wanted sharp images not on the soft end of the lens or indistinguishable BGs.

I had a great time shooting this series and can see myself buying tickets for next season, any comments on how to get better images will be greatly appreciated.

Real Name
    John

Re: A-League

Next time, just mix it up, add some background blur through panning, get a player pinpoint sharp for one extremity (say the foot kicking) and the remainder of the body slightly out of focus, if possible tighter crop of the action, and most importantly "have fun". Nice shot, perhaps clicked a few seconds earlier when the foot was closer to the ball. This shot would work if the goalie were moving towards the ball. Is the 6D supposed to be a noise knocker?

To me, that doesn't look too bad for noise considering the conditions.

I use the 7D Mk II and don't really like going above Iso 800 due to noise levels. Although some selective noise reduction during editing can help.

I had a great time shooting this series and can see myself buying tickets for next season, any comments on how to get better images will be greatly appreciated.
    Maybe it's just pearls before swine (easy...there's already a couple of people ready to jump on that comment) but it looks damn fine to me. I could be mistaken but when you're out shooting in a *natural* environment there are going to be compromises. Seems to me like you picked the right ones.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 2nd May 2016 at 01:08 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Real Name
    Robbie.

Thanks John,
    I did have a lot of fun, I do have other tighter shots to play with. I agree a few seconds earlier would have been nice but I like this one for the look on the goalies face
    With the 6D limited to 6fps and a pretty slow buffer it is really a matter of holding down the shutter button on continuous and praying

Real Name
    Robbie.

Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    I could be mistaken but when you're out shooting in a *natural* environment there are going to be compromises. Seems to me like you picked the right ones.
    Thanks Jack,
    Maybe I am expecting a bit much, I am used to shooting in very controlled environments

Real Name
    Matt

Rob, it looks good to me as well!

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

If you crop the left hand side just showing a bit of the goal post then the players' expression will be much better looking. Just a thought...

Real Name
    Robbie.

Thanks Izzie,
    Great suggestion, I will use that...