Thread: The End of the Road

The End of the Road

Taken in the summer, trying a sense of scale with the cottage

The End of the Road

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Lincs1

Re: The End of the Road

My Thoughts..

(1) I like it.......Colors, Clouds and Enhanced Rock....
    (2) What is that Church doing out there???....
    (3) Where am I taking this picture from....How did I get here???....

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Yeah,

I would like to know the location?

Mark

Real Name
    Ian

I would hazard a guess at Scotland, but I do like that shot enormously.

The cottage really does give it all a sense of scale and depth. Those mountains at the rear are huge!

Could you enlighten us as to any enhancements, (don't take that the wrong way, I presume you have tweaked it, but they are very natural and well engineered if you have...congrats).

We can all learn from your technique.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Lincs1 View Post
    Taken in the summer, trying a sense of scale with the cottage

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Lincs1
    A magnificent picture Nigel, really jealous. Even discovering it is Elgol bay (SW Skye for those who have not had the pleasure), can't quite place the viewpoint though I have walked and swum from Elgol to Loch Coruisk and can't wait to return.

But (you did ask and I can just never resist), I wonder about a tighter crop and am a bit suspicious of the purple on the dark clouds, though it is you who know and will happily accept it as genuine. But I suggest as a possible alternative (and might look at the white gap in the pink bit of the clouds on original):
    Last edited by crisscross; 4th December 2008 at 10:53 AM.

Many thanks for the positive feedback one and all

Quote Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
    A magnificent picture Nigel, really jealous. Even discovering it is Elgol bay (SW Skye for those who have not had the pleasure), can't quite place the viewpoint though I have walked and swum from Elgol to Loch Coruisk and can't wait to return.

But (you did ask and I can just never resist), I wonder about a tighter crop and am a bit suspicious of the purple on the dark clouds, though it is you who know and will happily accept it as genuine. But I suggest as a possible alternative (and might look at the white gap in the pink bit of the clouds on original):
    This was taken between nead the little stream that enters the sea here, I think between the jetty and the stream.

I can't remember whether I used a Cokin Grad but that could have an influence on the sky.

shreds
    I would hazard a guess at Scotland, but I do like that shot enormously.

The cottage really does give it all a sense of scale and depth. Those mountains at the rear are huge!

Could you enlighten us as to any enhancements, (don't take that the wrong way, I presume you have tweaked it, but they are very natural and well engineered if you have...congrats).

We can all learn from your technique.
    Levels, curves, contrast and saturation and unsharp mask, think that was all in CS2

Lincs1

Real Name
    Chris

OK I have the location, much nearer to Elgol than I was expecting; don't think I ever went along the beach there, but the jetty and rocks and that distinctive mountain come into the classic viewpoint of the Cuillin of which I have a desperately bad example form the film era (couldn't jack up the ISO in those days)

I opened up Across the Bay before this one - another excellent shot of the Cullins - (I've also seen this view but my Rollie 35 didn't produce anything as good as this (there's me blaming the camera again !)) Next time you are up there could you please do a two or three shot panorama ending with this one - not too much to ask is it ??? Keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I opened up Across the Bay before this one - another excellent shot of the Cullins - (I've also seen this view but my Rollie 35 didn't produce anything as good as this (there's me blaming the camera again !)) Next time you are up there could you please do a two or three shot panorama ending with this one - not too much to ask is it ??? Keep them coming.
    Thanks for the interest and comment, a two or three shot panorama, I have the one firmly fixed in my imagination, reality no, have to go back there.

Lincs1

another good landscape pic that could have been betterthe foreground is actually like a punch on the face of a interested viewer its stopping the eye from enjoying the background which is very beautiful minus the foreground,the beautiful open blue sky,and the mountains,the lonely house are competing with each other,for the viewers attentionbut alas the foreground is surely playing the spoil sport its disturbing the entire peaceful,soothing atmosphere in the frame...

Quote Originally Posted by taken View Post
    another good landscape pic that could have been better:)the foreground is actually like a punch on the face of a interested viewer:D its stopping the eye from enjoying the background which is very beautiful:) minus the foreground,the beautiful open blue sky,and the mountains,the lonely house are competing with each other,for the viewers attention:)but alas the foreground is surely playing the spoil sport:D its disturbing the entire peaceful,soothing atmosphere in the frame...
    Thanks for your feedback, cropped the bottom of the image, trying to use the sweep of the bay as a lead in to the mountains and the cottage.

The End of the Road

Comments appreciated

Lincs1

Real Name
    Ian

Nigel,

I think I preferred the original.

The cropped version feels like a fairly standard postcard type view? It also makes the cottage very prominent.

On the original, my eye hits the rock pool first, before being taken round via the cottage to ultimately the hills at the rear, largely by the sweep of the bay. To me this gave it an unusually good depth.

......But only my view and we all look at these things differently.

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Nigel,

I think I preferred the original.

The cropped version feels like a fairly standard postcard type view? It also makes the cottage very prominent.

On the original, my eye hits the rock pool first, before being taken round via the cottage to ultimately the hills at the rear, largely by the sweep of the bay. To me this gave it an unusually good depth.

......But only my view and we all look at these things differently.
    Thanks for your response.

Having looked at them both for a few days I think the original has it by some distance, it reduces the loneliness of the cottage which in the first place was the key and it certainly loses that in the cropped version.

But as you say it is all an opinion.

Lincs1