Thread: Arches of Light

Real Name
    Matt

Arches of Light

Took an early morning walking down to Swansea Marina last saturday, the sun was quite strong but it did help with this shot:

Arches of Light
    Arches of Light by Matthew Roberts, on Flickr

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Arches of Light

Thats great ;really well done

Real Name
    Simon

I like this Matt. A couple of suggestions - crop out the ceiling nearest you, you could go close to a square format, and burn the "cash here" sign so you can't read the letters. I know you like to keep the pp to a minimum but this would be a personal preference.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Great architectural concept! The person is lost in the background, so consider returning to the scene at the same time of day with a bright sun to capture the same image with no people in it.

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured.

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks all, I think I might go back there early Saturday morning and try to get the shot without the sign and people in there.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Matt. When you shoot again, you might try not to include the ceiling too much, I agree with Simon that less ceiling creates a better image. I love the light and shadows in the image. I don't like the sign but IMO the guy adds to the composition

Matt I like it as is. You can certainly crop a bit, but I think the sign is part of street photography, as is the guy. You can go back and re-shoot but then it's architecture as opposed to steet.

I do like that,
    well done

Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    You can go back and re-shoot but then it's architecture as opposed to steet.
    For me, the issue is that the resulting architectural shot would be a better image of that genre than the current image is of street photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    For me, the issue is that the resulting architectural shot would be a better image of that genre than the current image is of street photography.
    Not saying it wouldn't be. Simply pointed out that by its nature, street photography is a one-off kind of event. If you re-create, re-visit then in my opinion it's no longer street but some other (hybrid). Depends on whether Matt want to remain true to street photography or create some other form. In that regard it's up to him and his decision, making neither you nor I right nor wrong...simply opinionated.

Wouldn't it be street photography if he returned and captured another person or other people in the scene? If not, how is that different from waiting for hours at the same location and displaying the best photo captured during that time?

I suppose, but to me it lacks the spontaneity of street. I walk and shoot, you're a studio guy. I may travel the same area another time but it's always coincidental and not to re-shoot anything. But I don't want to hog Matt's bandwidth here so...whatever.

Real Name
    Matt

Interesting debate this one, I often walk the same routes and take photos of the same places but with different people and a different situation.
    I wouldnt label it street photography if I'm simply going back to shoot the arches with no people or sign.

But I'll be going back to this location a lot as I have with others to shoot it with different people in.

Otherwise, its like saying you can never shoot the same location twice??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk