Thread: Interesting article from Lens Rentals on Linear Focus Motors

Interesting article from Lens Rentals on Linear Focus Motors

I found the first reference on DP Review, but here is the actual article direct:
    https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/201...etic-focusing/

cheers: Trev

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Interesting article from Lens Rentals on Linear Focus Motors

Interesting article Trev, thanks for posting. I like Roger Cicala's "down to earth" writing style. I'll have to read this article more than once to digest it though!

Dave

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Interesting article from Lens Rentals on Linear Focus Motors

Thanks for posting Trevor. I pop over to this website fairly frequently as Roger's views are always interesting and have a totally different take than the usual review sites.

I have one lens that uses a totally different technology than any of the ones mentioned here and that is the original Lumix 14-140mm lens that was primarily developed with video shooters in mind. It uses a stepper motor instead of the USM style focusing motor, and this really comes from the pro video camera approach. Panasonic was apparently worried that the standard linear motors would not stand up to the wear and tear of the constant focusing and refocusing while shooting videos, and used what they considered to be a "safer" approach (and also a more expensive one). In a still camera, the autofocus only activates when you tell the camera to focus. In a video camera it can be on for fairly long periods (seconds to minutes) while recording video.

So far as I know this design was only used on this one lens.