Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A Digression

A Digression

Since I was on holiday I thought I would try something different.....Landscapes! Well you have to give it a try sometime and the view of life can be narrow looking out from a light tent. Any comments critique will be most welcome. AND although I was sorely tempted I did not once cave in to fluffy seas and polished pebbles...honest

This one was taken on the road to St Margarets on Cliffe, Kent, UK

A Digression

And this one of the pier at Herne Bay, Kent UK

A Digression

Re: A Digression

I like the UFO landing-gear tracks in #1. Not sure about the cut-off bale though. What was to the left?

#2 has a distinctive look. The sky is very good. Could it go a little warmer on the WB?

Whoops, I didn't spot that one. To the left were...you guessed it....more bales

A Digression

I have just had a look at the pier image on my wife's MacBook. It is a little cold. I have tried to increase the warmth on this version but I am not sure I like it as much as the first attempt.

A Digression

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

#2 I like an awful lot. It's got a beautifully 'harmonious' tonal range - I think that's something about a perfectly balanced colour palette (if that's not getting too waffley!

#1. Would it have been possible to get yourself off to the right and into a position whereby you were head on to the landing gear tracks of one of the UFOs? The tracks re-appearing over the crest of that rise 'inside' those leading up the crest in the foreground, would've looked brilliant. Also, I think the 'UFO tracks' running from bottom right to top left do not work as well as they would if they were running bottom left to top right (it's all to do with the way we, in the western societies read, isn't it?)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    I have just had a look at the pier image on my wife's MacBook. It is a little cold. I have tried to increase the warmth on this version but I am not sure I like it as much as the first attempt.
    I don't. First one is better.

Real Name
    Rick

The first one is a very nice landscape, Steve. I like Donald's suggestion - if the tracks could be connected, it would add a lot. The second image is wonderful. I like the connected tones, very serene. Would it be possible to warm it a bit overall without disturbing the range? It seems that in the second version, the colors aren't as closely related somehow, if that makes sense.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Wendy

Whoops, I didn't spot that one. To the left were...you guessed it....more bales

A Digression
    Is it just my screen or has this version gone to a purple tint?
    I prefer the first version. It is a bit blue and could be warmed up, but I like the original compared to this one.

On my screen this looks warmer to me. I just increased the WB temperature slider in Lightroom to + 28. Messed up the frame though.

A Digression

Wendy
    Last edited by ScoutR; 8th August 2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: add shot for comparision; correct typo

Real Name
    Pops

I don't think the pier scene needs any warming. That scenery is supposed to be cool. (Said as one who was raised in the desert. )

Pops

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Steve,

TBH I found #1 overly saturated, a bit too cornflake yellow for me, however, the alternate view in following post is more natural looking.

#2 in first post was looking a bit blue, but as Wendy, I prefer that to the magenta of the second attempt.
    Wendy's version, even apart from the border, is still a bit too yellow (in distant clouds above pier building), perhaps +20 would have done

I would prefer to see the pier shot even bigger though.

HTH,

Hi Wirefox,
    In my language "digression" means the same thing as in English.So I believe that after several long digressions Wirefox,finally, reached to a very good shot.Sommer somersaulting,I should say

A Digression

Thank You
    Radu Dinu
    Last edited by Radu Dinu Cordeanu; 12th August 2010 at 06:23 AM.

Real Name
    Peter

Since I was on holiday I thought I would try something different.....Landscapes! Well you have to give it a try sometime and the view of life can be narrow looking out from a light tent. Any comments critique will be most welcome. AND although I was sorely tempted I did not once cave in to fluffy seas and polished pebbles...honest

And this one of the pier at Herne Bay, Kent UK

A Digression
    Call me simple but I like the cool tones and the lovely shadings in this one. I wouldn't play with it too much.

Real Name
    Kay

I prefer the first version of both also - must be that light we have down here
    Every time I open the August comp' I get to see this 1 again

Thank you all for your comments. I definitely prefer the 'bluer' image myself. This shot is from the same location but a different aspect. Much warmer processing this time.

A Digression

Real Name
    Kay

Gorgeous Steve!
    I love these images where you look once & see the cloud formations and water reflections & think Wow!...then you REALLY look and are drawn in to see the lone walker on the beach, the people on the footpath......to the side street on the right, which I am so glad is not cropped, as that leads you into a whole new direction.....
    waffling now will shut up

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Gorgeous Steve!
    I wasn't aware you knew him that well.

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I wasn't aware you knew him that well.
    For someone who has trouble seeing - you've drawn way too much into that!

p.s besides the bean-Counter has just returned from his week of windsurfing in Fiji and pronounced the photos from that on the web are 'not as good as yours'! ......he thus has my continued devotion......if his glasses were missing at the time of viewing.....I don't care

Gorgeous Steve!
    I love these images where you look once & see the cloud formations and water reflections & think Wow!...then you REALLY look and are drawn in to see the lone walker on the beach, the people on the footpath......to the side street on the right, which I am so glad is not cropped, as that leads you into a whole new direction.....
    waffling now will shut up
    Don't worry I know what you mean Kay. In any case Gorgeous Steve sounds like a American wrestler from a Bob Dylan anecdote (or was that Gorgeous George). I really love seaside towns in the UK. They are the essence of British summertime. There is something reassuringly British about the grand colonial vision overlaid with the tack and cheekiness of a Donald McGill postcard.

Steve