Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Now the camera dilemma

Real Name
    Denise.

Now the camera dilemma

Hi there I am about to go to South Africa for my second safari there. Thanks to many on this site I have solved my camera bag dilemma! I thought I was clear in my mind about which cameras and lenses to take but now I am having having second thoughts. Perhaps some of you can help me.
    I will definitely take my Nikon 7100 and 80-400 II F4 VR lense which I took last time and got some fantastic shots ( for me!) I also took a Nikon D90 and 80-200 VR lens and took some landscapes and animal close ups. By the way I will try to post a shot or two but when I tried a few minutes ago my computer jammed up.
    However, the 7100 and the 400 lens inside my recently purchased hard case will weigh in at just under the now maximum carry on luggage of 7KG. By the way I will not be talked out of using the hard case for my own peace of mind!! I am considering to take as a second camera my lighter Lumix ZF 300 instead of the D90 and 80-200 lens. But now I am having second thoughts . Looking back at my landscapes and close up shots with the 80-200 they are pretty good. I would not take the lens without the second camera by the way. as I don’t want to be changing lenses. The Lumix is a clever little camera but with far too many options and alternatives making it the most complicated camera on the planet unless you are happy using Intelligent Auto all the time. And then it’s a waste of money for a beginner. To be honest I am more comfortable using my Nikon I still havent got a handle on all the options on the Lumix. . It has an aperture of F 2.8 to 8 which limits the abililty to include distant objects sharply but gives good light for other shots. I have read night shots aren’t good. There is limited ISO control. It takes reasonable macro shots though and will take up to 29 minutes of continuous video .
    I intend to take the second camera ..whichever it turns out to be … around my neck or in the pockets of a mans safari type vest. Bits and pieces will probably need to go in my checked in luggage and keep fingers crossed.
    I should add that I am 72 years old, arthritic and walking around airports is no joy. I guess I could fdir the D90 and 80-200 lens in my pockets but they would be very bulky.
    I would love to hear opinions or advice
    Many thanks in expectation.

Now the camera dilemma
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 15th April 2016 at 08:27 PM. Reason: image tag repair

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Now the camera dilemma

Honestly - ditch the hard case. I know you have your reasons but unless I am checking gear with a hard case, the downsides far outweigh the upsides. I've traveled all over the world with soft cases as my hand luggage. I wouldn't go any other way and in fact, you would have a really hard time convincing me that I should use a hard case. I own three Pelican hard cases, so am totally familiar with the advantages and disadvantages. If I were to check the gear, hard case 100% of the time.

I would also go with the D7100 / D90 combination. If something goes wrong with either a lens or a camera body, you have backup that lets you switch either lenses or bodies. We had a lens failure on a safari trip to Namibia; the in-lens control systems died and the lens would not focus. The Lumix does not give you that option. You sound like you are NOT comfortable with the Lumix. That suggests a much higher likelihood of blown shots, so other than weight, why are you looking at taking it?

Real Name
    Dan

I agree with Manfred regarding the backup body and sounding like you're not too comfortable with the Lumix. But I have to point out the obvious that with an 80-400 and 80-200 you're not getting any expanded coverage. Why even bother with the 80-200? If you're going to haul a second lens I'd make it something shorter with a bit of overlap in the middle if necessary. Like a 24-120 f4 if you own one. That would also lighten the load albeit only slightly.

Real Name
    Denise.

Thank you so much for your prompt responses. The lense i used on my D 90 is actually 18- 200 and not 80 - 200 as stated. so sorry to confuse the issue. To Northern Focus ..thank you . your post prompted me to check my info. To Grumpy Diver.... i think you have given info to me in the past... thank you. i think you have convinced me re the hard case... i guess i will have to sell it on ebay.!!! Also the point you made about lens failure is a very valid one. I will take the D90 and 18-200 for landscapes etc as I did before and as a backup lens.Thanks so much. Travelling with this gear is so stressful!!! Is the tiny pic method the only way to upload photos here. i cant make it work for me!!

Real Name
    Brian Grant

Re: Camera/lens dilemma

Your carry on case can fit in the upper compartment. Most airlines will also allow you to carry a smaller bag which will fit beneath the seat in front of you. There is room there for a small to medium messenger bag which will handle your second camera and more.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I would like to help by providing additional support for the idea of selling the hard case: The whole purpose of using a case that meets your needs is to ensure as much as possible that you can use a particular camera system. So, it makes no sense to use a case that actually prevents you for any reason whatsoever from using that system.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Geranium View Post
    Is the tiny pic method the only way to upload photos here. i cant make it work for me!!
    See this explanation of all methods of posting photos.

I'm confident that the reason you're unable to use TinyPic is because you're not using it correctly. Before giving up on that method, I recommend that you carefully follow the instructions step-by-step. I've successfully used only the TinyPic method the entire time I've been participating here, so I can't imagine that it won't work for you when used properly.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Camera/lens dilemma

Denise - one thing I usually do when traveling with camera gear on flights is to take the lens off the camera and store the camera and body separately in the camera bag. They take up a lot less room that way and I can fit more gear in the camera bag. Just make sure that you use the body cap and rear lens covers to protect your equipment.

I have arthritis in my feet so fully understand the joys of walking in airports with or without camera gear. I went to a backpack style camera bag as it was easier to walk with a cane that way. Camera bag in the overhead compartment for sure!

MOD Comment: This post moved from almost identical thread
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 15th April 2016 at 08:29 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Geranium View Post
    Thank you so much for your prompt responses. The lense i used on my D 90 is actually 18- 200 and not 80 - 200 as stated. ...
    Well that makes a lot more sense. The 80-200 is a pretty massive beast. As large as the 80-400. You had me wondering On the other hand, the 80-400 plus 18-200 and two bodies that can fit on either lens sounds like a logical kit.

On the topic of the case/bag, I travel around with expensive pro level kit often on small planes where I have to surrender the bag to be put in luggage. I've struggled with what to do about a bag/case. In the end, the additional weight of the hard case has been prohibitive and I continue to use a padded soft case and take one body/lens out of the bag and carry on with on a strap. It looks rather odd walking on with a camera w/500mm lens hung around my neck but it has always been allowed. But I haven't traveled to Africa so it may be different there.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Denise,

Just a note to say that I fixed the minor corruption of the TinyPic image url in your first post of this thread.

I also moved two responses from the identical thread to this one and disabled that other thread to avoid confusion to others (some replying in both places).

Cheers, Dave

Real Name
    Dan

If I were to check the gear, hard case 100% of the time.
    That's been my concern. I think I posted about this once before. The airlines are so good at packing people in that space in the bins often runs out. That they charge for checking bags makes it worse. The one time I gambled on carrying my equipment on board in one of my backpacks, United put me in the final boarding group on a full plane. The gate agent told me to expect to check my bag. I got around it by asking the stewardess who greeted passengers if I could stow the bag in empty bin space in first class, where there is more room because there are fewer people. Turns out she was a photographer and was happy to oblige, so I asked again on the return, and the steward I asked agreed. Having watched how checked bags are handled, I am really nervous about the risks of checking a soft camera backpack.One way around that, i suppose, would be to carry a backpack small enough that you could shove it under the seat in front of you if need be.

I don't travel much with serious equipment, but I have a trip to Norway coming up for which I will definitely want to haul stuff, and I am dithering about how to handle this.

Denise you say you are of a more mature age and have arthritis. All the airlines I have every flown on will allow people who require assistance to board first, giving you first shot and some time to store your gear in a locker. So I would suggest hobbling excessively and putting yourself in that group. I would also suggest a backpack bag for your gear - pack any accessories including batteries in your checked bag. As previously mentioned I support separating the lenses from the bodies: you get way more flexibility in arranging stuff. If you are seriously over-weight then take one lens out, and carry it in a soft case for a medium-size camera. if not so much then take out the bodies and put them in the smaller case.