Thread: Lost Continuous Shoot mode

Real Name
    Ed

Lost Continuous Shoot mode

Hi, everyone. Not posted here for some time, but have run into a problem with my Canon EOS t3i and a new Tamron 70-300 lens I recently bought from Adorama. I'm honestly not sure I can link my camera woes to the new lens, and I'm also aware that some photographers recommend steering clear of third-party lenses.
    The problem is that after the first couple of days trying out the new lens, the continuous shoot mode on the camera ceased to work. It won't work while composing with the viewfinder or Live View, although in the past I have used primarily with viewfinder. I have gone back and tried both of original Canon kit lens (18-55 and 55-250 and neither of them will now work with continuous mode. Other shoot modes seem fine - single shot, 2 sec and 10 sec timer, etc.
    I am reluctant to blame the Tamron lens at this point, since I am not sure of the last time I actually used continuous mode with my kit lenses. Would be interested in any thoughts on this and whether anyone else has encountered a similar experience.

Ed

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: Lost Continuous Shoot mode

First steps:

1. power "OFF"
    2. remove battery
    3. remove lens
    4. clean and dry all battery and lens electronic connections
    5. replace battery
    6. power "ON"
    7. make a note of any custom functions and user selectable settings that you have set
    8. under tool setting find "clear all camera settings" (refer to your instruction manual) and execute that function
    9. power "OFF"
    10. remove battery and recharge it
    11. leave battery out of the camera for 24 hours
    12. replace battery
    13. replace lens
    14. power "ON" test continuous shooting functionality and report

If Continuous Shooting is still not working, then more details describing the exact nature of the original fault and confirmation that you are running the latest firmware version (which is:1.0.2 for the 600D - I think) are required. Hopefully we won't need that.

WW

Real Name
    Robin

Spin the main dial to Sport/Action Mode (the running man) and try to take a burst of images. If it works then you've fiddle with some settings somewhere as the picture modes should override all user controls. If thats the case do as Bill said and re-set your custom functions.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Nice logic Robin.

In any case it would be still worthwhile also going through the routine removing the battery.

In the "Sports Mode", I understand that 'Continuous Shooting' is user selectable, so if there is a bug which is inhibiting that section of Continuous Shooting Mode, the battery out for 24 hours could kill that bug.

WW

Real Name
    Richard

Another thing you might try is to return your cameras to the default settings, ensuring that you have not somehow changed a setting. How to do this is in your manual.

Real Name
    Ed

Thanks to all for such a quick response. I now realize that I was a bit hasty in raising the issue. William W I sort of did what you said, but an abbreviated version. This AM wife and I decided to visit a local museum/aquarium/zoo and got out my camera to make sure it was clean and batteries charged. I had previously read somewhere about removing battery and memory card for about 20 minutes, but had failed to give it a try. So I shut off camera, pulled out memory card and battery to charge. About an hour later I put everything back and to my surprise the continuous mode worked fine for all three lenses. I'll keep the recommendations as a fix to go to if I have any further problems.
    William W I do need to look into the firmware version you mentioned. My camera says I have version 1.0.1, which is what came with the camera. Guess I need to get with Canon to see how to get the update, if there is indeed a 1.0.2 for this camera.
    Ed

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Glad to know your problem is solved!

Based on my past experiences with Nikon equipment, in between William's Steps 10 & 11 I would turn the camera on for at least 24 hours to drain it of all external electronic information.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd43 View Post
    . . . . I do need to look into the firmware version you mentioned. My camera says I have version 1.0.1, which is what came with the camera. Guess I need to get with Canon to see how to get the update, if there is indeed a 1.0.2 for this camera.
    {HERE}

Quote Originally Posted by Edd43 View Post
    . . . removing battery and memory card for about 20 minutes, but had failed to give it a try. So I shut off camera, pulled out memory card and battery to charge. About an hour later I put everything back and to my surprise the continuous mode worked fine for all three lenses. I'll keep the recommendations as a fix to go to if I have any further problems.
    20 minutes usually does the trick. 24 hours is a "belts and braces" approach - and as an asie - I think that the "electronic memory" drains in 24 hours whether the camera is turned on or not - but that's academic and irrelevant to the problem solving and Mike's suggestion is even more "belts and braces".

WW
    Last edited by William W; 14th April 2016 at 10:04 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

A modern digital camera is really a computer that takes pictures. Doing a cold reboot, i.e. total power down and restart will often fix computer issues.

Real Name
    Brian Grant

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    A modern digital camera is really a computer that takes pictures. Doing a cold reboot, i.e. total power down and restart will often fix computer issues.
    If that doesn't work ...
    Lost Continuous Shoot mode

Real Name
    Ed

Again, thanks to all for the comments/suggestions. Thanks WW for providing the link for updating the firmware version.

Ed