Thread: Camera/Picture Problem ?

Real Name
    Brian

Camera/Picture Problem ?

I use an old Canon 300d which has served magificently. My last two outings produce pictures which review perfectly in the camera's review screen but when transferred to the Computer show up to 8 or 9 horizontal strips with different bright colour emphasis and actually displaced in the picture composition. Each strip is a true part of the scene but displaced "somewhere" down the piucture. They are JPG's.
    Windows Photo Viewer shows them perfectly, Paintshop and Irfanview both show them with this staggered sequence. They email correctly

It would seem not a camera problem but I'm blowed if I know

Any clues please

BJK896

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Re: Camera/Picture Problem ?

Can we assume that you have run follow-up tests using different cards to determine if the problem is repeatable?

Real Name
    Robin

Sounds like a jpeg write/read error so as William said the card would be the first thing to check followed by whatever you use load the info into your computer.

Real Name
    James Edwards

Brian, +1 for William's question.

I had a card develop a fault similar to your description a couple of years back. I'm guessing that the reason for the 'correct' presentation in camera is that the card is sufficiently readable to extract the embedded jpg image which is what is displayed by the camera.

There are a number of utilities available on the web which allow the extraction of the embedded jpg from the raw file. It may be possible to use one of these to extract the jpg (so maybe not a total loss), but I'm assuming that if your other cards do not suffer from the same problem (which would suggest a camera fault), then you should trash the card.

Final thought, you could reformat the offending card and reinsert and see if the problem persists, but in my view if a card starts to show problems it is better getting rid of it.

Real Name
    Richard

+1 to the above... I have had two Kingston CF cards caused this type of problem, both were the first time that I used the cards. The cards looked O.K. viewing the images on the LCD which looked but, which exhibited the problems in trying to open the RAW images in Adobe Camera RAW.

I just threw away the first card because I had not retained the sales slip. I checked the second card (for which I had retained the sales slip) and returned it to the dealer. I have not purchased Kingston cards since. I use only Lexar cards and have been using the four cards I own for several years now - with no problems. I would expect SanDisk brand CF cards to hold up equally well. However, I just purchased two 32GB 800x UDMA-7 Lexar cards...

I will format my cards on a regular basis and always download my images via a card reader.

Real Name
    James Edwards

I will format my cards on a regular basis and always download my images via a card reader.
    Further to Richard's comment, I too always douwnload via a card reader and not by linking the camera.
    Also, I seem to remember reading, a long while back, that using PC based formating rather than the 'in camera' option can result in cards that are unusable until formated within the camera.
    So, after each shoot, and after securing the data offline, I always format the card 'in-camera', before reuse. Periodically I do a camera 'low level format which is the equivalent, as I understand it of a sector by sector, format, rather than the faster standard format which just resets the card Master Index table.

I have a Canon 7Dmk2 which enables me to shoot and capture to 2 cards (CF & SD) simultaneously. My understanding is that if one card fails for any reason the other still has a 'good' copy. So far I've had no failures to test the validity of this, and I hope it dosn't happen, but, as sure as eggs is eggs, if I switch to single card recorrding I bet that's when I will have the failure!!

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks to all - Problem Solved
    I had run a test on the "suspect" card and it proved OK so I continued to use it.
    Since I posted this I have used an alternate card and all OK. I then put the problem child to the test again and it wasnt until I kindly asked it to write "All Zeroes" to the card that it came up faulty.
    That card is now in the recycle bin !
    What the real technical problem is, I now don't care because there was always a niggle the camera might have been the problem and that has been put to rest.
    Thanks to all for experiences and the 300d does NOT have the 7Dmk2 duel card option but if only !!

bjk896
    11th Commandment Thou shalt have a HDD failure. You just Cannot predict when !