Thread: Lens Nicknames

Real Name
    Richard

Lens Nicknames

I have never been a fan of nicknames for lenses such as the "Nifty-Fifty" for the Canon 50mm f/1.8 Mark II...

However, the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II is such a long name that a nickname might be easier to use. What do you think? Or is the "100-400 II" sufficient for identification

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Lens Nicknames

That's one thing I liked about the German lens makers - they named their lenses; Zeiss Planar, Leica Summicron and Schneider Xenon, etc. were a lot less clinical than the gibberish we have to remember on the modern Japanese lenses.

Real Name
    John

um Richard, does that make the new Fuji long lens the 100 - 400mm I?

Real Name
    John

Just go by the focal length and most will assume a specific aperture. For instance, if I saw my favorite lens is the 85mm most will think I mean the f/1.4 when I actually mean the f/1.8. If I correct the assumption it'll only lead to an argument.

Real Name
    Ken

From the weight, especially handholding how about Hefty Lefty

Real Name
    Ted

Sigma's Sigma's APO 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM has long had the popular nick-name "Bigma":

Lens Nicknames

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Sigma's Sigma's APO 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM has long had the popular nick-name "Bigma":

The older 150-500mm Sigma was known by that name as well, so Sigma has had a number of "Bigma"s. Just to add to the confusion.

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

It's a digression, but

What exasperates me is "she's a little beauty"... add variations on that theme (it's always the wee things which annoy ye most). Ah hate anthropomorphism attributed tae animals but folk who use it tae machines just need a good slap. Ah use a site (won't mention it by name but SLRs are frowned upon by many there) and ah just want tae...

Lens Nicknames

Lens Nicknames

Oooh...."Bokeh Monster"

All Nikon zooms... the Creepers... this is getting fun...

Minolta's "mini beercan", "beercan", "big beercan" and the best lens nickname ever... "the secret handshake"...
    Last edited by tao2; 7th April 2016 at 01:29 AM.

Real Name
    Andrew

I've always liked the nickname I read for the Sigma 105 Macro. Bugzilla.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Richard, if I start referring to my lens by any other than what they are, I will be forced to sleep with them and I do not think Bill will like that hitting his face in the wee hours of the night...

Real Name
    Greg Lehey

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    The older 150-500mm Sigma was known by that name as well, so Sigma has had a number of "Bigma"s. Just to add to the confusion.
    Not to mention the 300-800mm. That was the first one that occurred to me when I saw this thread.

Greg

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The need/desire to state what particular lens you have used does, I think fit in to to one (or both) of two categories:_
    1) To give technical information to those who want it
    2) To show off and say 'look what gear I've got'.

In relation to the first of those, fairly minumum information is required. In relation to the second, it would be nice if we didn't feel the need to do it.

So, yes, my ego may be well massaged by writing down that a photograph was captured with use of the 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS MkII. And it is something I have done because I thought it was 'protocol to include exif data of a forum such as this. On the other hand, if I write 'the 100-400 L', then those of a technical disposition will know what I'm on about. Okay, the question could be 'Is that the MkI or the MkII?'. Well, if we need to get into that sort of detail, I'll let you know on a 1:1 basis.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Just go by the focal length and most will assume a specific aperture. For instance, if I saw my favorite lens is the 85mm most will think I mean the f/1.4 when I actually mean the f/1.8. If I correct the assumption it'll only lead to an argument.
    I found online that the Nikon 85mm f/1.4 is nicknamed the Cream Machine. That's a loaded one. My favorite was the Centon 500mm mirror, affectionately called the Piece of S***.

Real Name
    Ole

Quote Originally Posted by tao2 View Post
    It's a digression, but

What exasperates me is "she's a little beauty"... add variations on that theme (it's always the wee things which annoy ye most). Ah hate anthropomorphism attributed tae animals but folk who use it tae machines just need a good slap. Ah use a site (won't mention it by name but SLRs are frowned upon by many there) and ah just want tae...

Lens Nicknames

Lens Nicknames

Oooh...."Bokeh Monster"

All Nikon zooms... the Creepers... this is getting fun...

Minolta's "mini beercan", "beercan", "big beercan" and the best lens nickname ever... "the secret handshake"...
    Notpoliticallycorrect. I love it
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

For me, I really have no problem identifying my lenses except for my Sigma 17-70. Soon after I got mine, they started the whole C thing. So everyone might thinks I have the C version so I have to call mine 'not C' or before C. More confusing is that there is an earlier 17-70 which is often differentiated by its slightly slower aperture. Fortunately the glass is faster than it takes to name it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk